Hymer (Hella) headlights... MOT failure (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600DT
Exp
Since 2012
My Hymer is LHD and has just failed its MOT as the lights are set-up for continental driving. Does anyone know how to adjust the Hella lamps or should I use Beam Deflectors as a short term fix?
I'm told that the small size of the lamp (~90mm) may be an issue for placement of the beam deflector and in some cases can cause over heating (its not LED).
I'm also told that rotating the lamp 180 deg may not be a simple solution as the beam pattern is more than just left/right alignment.

What does everyone else do?

Thanks
Colin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You don't say what type of van it is but assuming it's a A class the lights are adjustable. You need to remove them and there are screws on the back of the unit you adjust to align them the right way.

The bad news is that removing them is the mother of all pigs of a job :whistle:

Just do it once - adjust them for the UK and leave them like it.

They are the same on our Rapido. I never bother changing them when we go abroad and have never had a problem so far.

OP
OP
Homer-Adria
May 22, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600DT
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Nick, its a B564 with the small round headlamps... I think Hella 90mm (non-LED). Unfortunately the van is out of reach at the moment so I can't readily check the lamp model. The mech in the garage said he could not see an obvious way to readjust the lamp... maybe he was being ultra careful (in case something broke).
Its frustrating as nothing has changed since last year, when it did pass its MOT.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A friend of ours had the same issue with LH drive A class Hymer, the tester actually fitted the beam benders for her and all was OK.

As Nick says you need to remove or at least get access to the back of the light and remove one screw completely and loosen two more to turn the unit and then refit the one you removed.

Ours come out easily to do the job but it's a N+B and they have a light surround that covers the fixing screws so all the work is from the front.

Set it for UK as a default but you may need to fit some benders if driving a lot on the continent.

Martin

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Got this info from a fellow funster when we had our S820. Hopefully helps.
hymerlight1.jpg
hymerlight2.jpg
hymerlight3.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This image will be your light, the two positions are at the top of the picture, this si th screw you need to remove, you can't see the others that need loosening.
lighting-hella-90mm-classic-headlamp-h7-dipped-beam-1ll008193-117.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi Nick, its a B564 with the small round headlamps... I think Hella 90mm (non-LED). Unfortunately the van is out of reach at the moment so I can't readily check the lamp model. The mech in the garage said he could not see an obvious way to readjust the lamp... maybe he was being ultra careful (in case something broke).
Its frustrating as nothing has changed since last year, when it did pass its MOT.

If you don't know what you're looking at it isn't immediately obvious, usually just a couple of grub screws, and the unit has to be completely removed.

Access will either be via the engine bay if you're lucky or by removing the wheels and the wheel arch liners if you're not.

That's why I suggest set them up for the UK and forget about them. I've never bothered with beam deflectors in Europe either although I have to say we do very little driving in the dark.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You have to 'get in' behind the lamps. This may mean removing the bumper and lying on your back, although I have heard that it can be done from the bonnet opening, provided you are a contortionist! there are three locking screws - two of which are shown in the picture. The third is out of sight at the bottom.
Hymer headlight.jpg

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I have the same problem with my a class adria. Got off the tunnel at night drove down the A16, every Frenchman and his got were flashing at us, so we pulled in the services , lifted the bonnet , not a chance, gave me the right hump! In the end we got a wrench and lowered the beams , off we went no more flashing and the visibility was good enough

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
If gender benders will get your MH through the MoT that would be my choice - easy always wins for me.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
We're on our 2nd A class Hymer. The first van, a LHD year 2000 B584 had (supposedly) adjustable headlights for LH and RH driving. I tried a few times to move the assembly over but failed each time. It needed access via the wheel arch which meant partly removing the inner wheel arch plastic cover - a pig of a job. Even then you needed extenders on the ends of your arms to reach up to the headlight assembly. I would have been easier I think if the van was over a pit and you could stand upright! I resorted to stick on deflectors.

Our present van, a LHD 2007 B654 was brought over from Germany and has passed 3 UK MOT's. I only discovered a few months ago when driving through France in an Autumn night that the headlights are actually set for LHD driving!! They were clearly aiming towards the pavement.
So much for strict UK MOT testing!! :whistle:

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
PS - Just found this - another poor soul (trying to) adjust his headlights!
Maybe stick-on deflectors are the way to go!(y)

Attachments

• headlightadjust.png
    headlightadjust.png
    526.4 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
Homer-Adria
May 22, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600DT
Exp
Since 2012
ok, thanks everyone for your help :)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I have the same problem with my a class adria. Got off the tunnel at night drove down the A16, every Frenchman and his got were flashing at us, so we pulled in the services , lifted the bonnet , not a chance, gave me the right hump! In the end we got a wrench and lowered the beams , off we went no more flashing and the visibility was good enough

Now funnily enough my Adria Vision A class is simple to change beam settings, remove plastic headlight surround, undo two 10mm bolts and all three lights swing out from the body, adjust the lights and put back,
all of five minutes maximum, somebody designed it with maintenance in mind! just wish more manufacturers could do the same,

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I do mine (2001 B584) without taking the bumper off, the first time I did it I loosened all 3 screws and turn the light and then only tighten the top screw which is easily accessed from the bonnet.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My Carthago has 90mm dia Hella projector lamps to UK spec. The asymmetrical dipped beam pattern has a kickup to the left (as you would expect). For continental use the lamp is rotated clockwise (looking from the back of the lamp) as described by previous posters. This gives a symmetrical beam pattern with neither kickup to the left or right, just a flat beam.

I suspect the OP's dipped beam lamp is to EU spec and has an asymmetric beam pattern with kickup to the right. If so, the OP needs to rotate the lamp anticlockwise to obtain a flat beam pattern.

I leave my dipped lamps on the flat beam pattern all the time as most of my travels are in mainland Europe. On this setting, it passes the MOT every time.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I do mine (2001 B584) without taking the bumper off, the first time I did it I loosened all 3 screws and turn the light and then only tighten the top screw which is easily accessed from the bonnet.
But how did you get at all three screws the first time? I have tried on several occasions, including when I have had the front bumper and side wing trims removed. I can never get at one of the screws on each lamp as I believe it is hidden behind the headlamp beam lowering/raising actuator mechanism.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you cant see the screws but can reach them, use a mobile phone to take a picture. use that picture to guide your hand and screwdriver

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
With a bit of groping around but it is possible.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
But how did you get at all three screws the first time? I have tried on several occasions, including when I have had the front bumper and side wing trims removed. I can never get at one of the screws on each lamp as I believe it is hidden behind the headlamp beam lowering/raising actuator mechanism.
Seem to remember that that was my problem!

Jan 28, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
Yes it can be done through the bonnet I used a head torch. Mine is a 520. The plastic sockets used to adjust beam had broken on one headlight and found that job very difficult but possible. Same as golf Mk2. They click into the holes but make sure ball is in the socket before pressing home..

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
doesn't help the OP but just about the only positive thing I can say about the £1500 :mad::mad: (yes that's right) Hymer headlight unit, the tear drop shape, they have a lever inside fairly easily reached when you know where it is, push to left or right

Will find out tomorrow if mine is right, after a new light fitted by Hymer agent monkeys, it was pointing way off line, now sorted by yours truly :):), not really sure what the lever does, but some form of progress at least maybe o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back