Hymer headlight protectors

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bigfoot, Mar 5, 2014.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I bought a pair of these over 2 years ago,they were attached by suckers and until recently they have been very good. Recently the suckers have started to lift,I have remove the units to attempt to rectify the problem,which may be just a cleaning of both sucker and headlight cover. Bearing in mind that a broken unit costs in the region of £1k!
    I have been considering replacing the suckers with double side lock tape similar to velcro.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Dual-L...Loop-with-self-adhesive-backing-/111218392661
    I have seen a similar item used on motor bikes.
    Does anyone think this will affect the lens cover by a reaction with the adhesive or affect the light pattern.

2. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

This info may be of help?

HEADLAMP PROTECTORS - ( Suckers with stainless steel threads) The address is: -
    H. Portsmouth & Son
    1033/1043 London Road
    Leigh-on-Sea
    Essex. SS9 3JY
    Tel: 01702 668376

You can also get them on eBay via the following link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-LARGE-SCREW-THREADED-POSTER-HANGING-WINDOW-SUCKERS-/281192534163?

Some Hymer owners are also using a safety strap that prevents loss of the protector if the suckers fail.

3. fatbuddha

fatbuddha Read Only Funster

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Just to clarify the protectors are made from poly carbonate and have a safety strap. The suckers are sold as poster hangers and I am aware of these sellers. My thoughts about using the tape is to reduce the gap and effect of the wind lifting the shields. Years ago I made some shields from PC when I had just bought a double headlight grill for my VW ,it was a lot easier to fit covers. Unfortunately Van Comfort only market units for X250 and Transits but not Hymer A class models.
    Thanks for your post thus far.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  5. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I too was worried about the Hymer headlights 'exploding' and the replacement costs.

So, 5 years ago I ordered some protective film from lamin x uk. It is used in motor racing to prevent shattering of the lenses and it works on Hymers. Very easy to apply and you can't see that anything has been attached to the lens.

Website is www.lamin-x.com

Mike

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I use Lamin-X too but mine are the older twin Hella glass headlamps, not the hugely expensive PC ones that Hymer fit now. Unfortunately, there is no protector screen available for the twin lamps so far as I can tell.
    I also put Lamin-X on the fog lights. I think it is a good product.