Hymer headlight and search facility (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello all

double edged question here

our Hymer headlight has exploded, well the front glass has at least, although still attached for now at least it is in over 1,000 pieces :(

I am sure I have read of this on this forum before and decided rather than just post a new thread to refer to those, put Hymer exploding headlight into search only got my own thread ref our current trip where I also mentioned it, so reduced search to Hymer headlight and still got virtually nothing, certainly no mention of exploding lights other than a brief mention ref covers

So, new thread it is, sorry

Anybody got any tips, other than just waving my credit card around again

Seems sad and wrong that some kind of design issue is going to cost me over £1000 to mend, the real issue I guess and why I doubt I will get help from Hymer is the Mercedes chassis is 06/07, built by Hymer in 07, registered UK 09

I guess at 9 years old I am going to be lucky to get help, but do intend to ask, I think I have heard that Travel World have helped others

@dabhand I seem to think you might be one?? or have I dreamt that? :) but yours is newer than ours but identical body (MH that is :LOL:)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Try this
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/travelworld-superb-service.116838/
Or search Travelworld on the forum. It is unlikely she can help but and its a big but, Hymer know there is a problem with headlight of a certain year, you WILL need the part number off the back of the headlight which has often been obliterated as its on a white label! Good luck David. If Annabel can help she will.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Nearside (RHD - Fiat) on my 09 Hymer shattered as photo. Annabel Edwards at Travelworld got it sorted despite being out of warranty, the van came from Brownhills Preston and I had no previous history with them, really first class service from a good company. I covered it with glass tape until I could get it to them. Lots of reports of identical issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• hymerlight.jpg
    hymerlight.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A positive note at least, the lights all still work, I am amazed the Bi Xenon bit hasn't failed (y)

@Detnor thanks, saves me posting a photo, absolutely identical to mine (y) how long ago did yours go?

Ours also started life at Brownhills Preston, not bought new by us and out of warranty when we got it, fingers crossed

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I assume stone damage has been eliminated as the cause as protectors could prevent a re occurence.
Headlight glass in my experience has not in the past been tempered glass and with stone damage would chip or crack rather than shatter as these have.
You will see from my avatar I have a keen interest in this.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If hymer won't touch what about insurance. It's a well known issue so should be ok with hymer i would think...

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
My headlight shattered 2 years ago, van sitting on the drive, it hadn't moved for a week. Hymer wanted a photo of the batch number off the white label on the back of the light housing which made me suspect it was possibly a manufacturing issue. Both Travelworld and Hymer acted just as you would want, no discussions, quickly established the problem, and dealt with it. I'd been happier if it hadn't happened but when it did, they were brilliant about it.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
The makers of the glass, Hella I think, several years ago, apparently advised Hymer not to fit the unit under stress which it was and now isn't, it is allegedly these units which are causing the problems. This is a conversation overheard at salon show in Germany and not by me so make of it what you will!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I sent an email to Travel World, within an hour had a call back from them (Annabel) really nice and helpful, asked for photo of front and back, told her the back could be hard to get at she has asked for the best we can

Apparently Hymer are pretty black and white about this and will decide yes or no in minutes, no half measures though all FOC or nothing, but from my description she sounded hopeful (y)

Will send photos on Monday, see what happens, credit card could do without another hit so soon, my biggest worry is going to Travel World and coming out with a new motorhome :)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
You've just got your van sorted out after much brow beating - I'm presuming the limp mode problem didn't manifest itself again during your recent sojourn?

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Best of luck, I hope it all works out. The white label on the back has all the info on. I stuck an arm in with the camera and took several photos and one found the label. The workshop manager is really good on Hymer issues.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG

Close ups of headlight, Hymer have said no as there is a stone chip

Scheinwerfer GB Steinschlag (00000004).png

I have asked for a revisit with the aid of my photos, but I can see what they think is a chip and my photo doesn't really show it isn't. The glass is smooth no hole but it does look holed in first photo

So, trying to move on, rang my insurers, it would be covered but not under glass so would mean full claim, we have a £250 excess and our broker AIB suggest that with the loading on the other policies due to the claim it doesn't make sense to claim

Not really sure why we have insurance other than for the really big ones I guess

Still hoping Hymer change their minds, then looking at how much and whether to claim or not

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oh dear....All you can do is argue the toss I guess...better pictures? I'm sure Safe guard would be more reasonable but then you dont know till the proverbial hits the fan....

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hmmm....My eyesight not that great, don't know what Im looking as to be honest. If @Lenny HB sees this (currently travellling) he is the man for Hymer's

Yes its only money but surprised by insurers attitude..I thought glass treated differently

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
final word comes from Hymer

Nein :(

Hi David

I am dealing with the head of warranty at Hymer and he is saying the following : if it was pressure then the headlights would be cracked earlier.

I am sorry but I can’t go any further with this.

The cost of a replacement headlight is - #1401194 – Headlight Bi-Xenon-complete-LH side-RHD - £1497.26 (at today’s Euro exchange rate). There will be no shipping charges if the light is delivered to TW and the labour is 1 hour at £78.00

Kind Regards

Annabel

Oh well, it would have been good, but with my luck very unlikely :)

Fair point of theirs that it would have gone a while ago, but others have been swapped after a few years and they haven't even asked for our mileage, but time to move on, going down the back of the sofa (again) looking for lost coins (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just sent reply to TW to see if those prices include VAT, I do hope so, it really pisses me off when you get prices quoted without, although as it happens I will be putting the receipt through my books so will recover most of it

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
nice thought @Khizzie to be honest all I want is a guaranteed fix, messed around for long enough with the turbo

I am lucky that I can offset it on my company, time to move on again, but gin stocks will be down at Chester :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
FOR SALE Hymer whatever it is, new turbo and inlet manifolds, new headlight, one carefull owner

and then @DavidG58.

Sorry David I have had a drink and it's the only comment I could come up with, I didn't say sensible comment, I do feel for you though.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
apology accepted Martin :)

can I have a glass of whatever you are on, before you and Howie drink it all :LOL:

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
We had thhlis happen when we had our hymer, ended up going through the insurance company. Hymer said that the van had already had the headlamp replaced once under warranty, so they wouldn't replace it again! Ours was a 2008.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
this makes me revisit my strong beliefs on car ownership, get rid before warranty ends

but I then buy another new or nearly new replacement car which in turn suffers massive depreciation

there must be a mathematical formula for this, but as I said in my turbo woes thread, we saved a massive amount when we bought this MH, three years old but hardly used and under half price, had I been able to afford it new, we would have been the ones losing over £60K in three years o_Oo_O I don't think so, the running repairs we have paid for that might have been covered by warranty are around £7K, so technically quite a saving really :)

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I like your thinking David, everything, well not everything but some of what we saved buying used we have ploughed back into "extras" hence the E&P jacks, Efoy extra solar etc etc, end of the day a lot more van for the money.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
this makes me revisit my strong beliefs on car ownership, get rid before warranty ends

but I then buy another new or neatly new replacement car which in turn suffers massive depreciation

there must be a mathematical formula for this, but as I said in my turbo woes thread, we saved a massive amount when we bought this MH, three years old but hardly used and under half price, had I been able to afford it new, we would have been the ones losing over £60K in three years o_Oo_O I don't think so, the running repairs we have paid for that might have been covered by warranty are around £7K, so technically quite a saving really :)
Have you taken into account the real cost? Including stress, hassle and inconvenience
How many crisis / ruined trips have you had?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have you taken into account the real cost? Including stress, hassle and inconvenience
How many crisis / ruined trips have you had?

That's a tough one Robert, I do believe the same issues could easily have befallen the owners of a slightly newer version of mine, so although financially unaffected the other inconveniences would have been the same

Our MH has only done 20k miles, although now nearly 7 years since registered and 9 years since built, I think we have been a little unlucky

I think a new thread is called for, see what others think about the difference between warranty comfort and depreciation fever (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back