Hymer gross weight (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
On our recent trip to Spain for the winter, we were delayed from setting off due to a big dump of snow. The van was fully loaded, scooter, bikes, awning, clothes, everything except for water (none at all due to the risk of it freezing0.
So I'm looking at the van parked up on the drive, wondering what to do for the next week, and I had this brill idea of taking the van to the local builders yard to get it weighed. I loaded 80 litres of water into containers then me & wife set off.
Result.....50 kgs overweight.
3950 kg, and the allowable gross wt on Hymer plate and reg doc was 3900 kg. So out came the scooter. We never missed the scooter in Spain so not really a problem.

What puzzled me was the discprencies in the wt plts on the van :- fiat plate: all wts were left blank. Hymer plt (and reg doc): gross wt 3900. Al-Ko plt 4000.
I rang Al-Ko, they confirmed my chassis was a 4000 kg chassis but that for some reason Hymer had only put a 3900 plate on it.
They also said if I get stopped by the police then show them (the police) your Al-Ko plate and all will be ok ! But I think that the police will want to see your reg doc to confirm allowable gross wt.
Anyway, on our return I visited the local DVLA office, who advised me to go to the local VOSA depot. I knew this to be rubbish and tried to tell them but no joy. So, after reading a bit more on the net I decide to photograph all the wt plates and the page in the Al-Ko handbook that referred to the chassis, then amend the vehicle details on the reg doc, and send the whole lot to DVLA Swansea.
7 Weeks later I received the amended reg doc now showing 4000 kg gross weight.
Now, do you think if I got in contact with Hymer (Germany) they would send me a revised weight plate (sticker) ?
Copied below is the letter I sent to Swansea.

''Re : Motorcaravan Registration ********
VIN / Chassis no.***************
The revenue weight on the V5C document states 3900 Kg.
This should be 4000 Kg in accordance with the AL-KO chassis weight plate which is riveted to the bonnet cross member.
The original Fiat weight plate is blank.

The AL-KO weight plate shows the chassis type as MC40XA, with an allowable gross weight (revenue weight) of 4000Kg.

I enclose the following documents :-

1.Photo of AL-KO weight plate showing VIN / chassis no., chassis type, gross weight.
2.Photo of Fiat weight plate showing VIN no. and blank weights.
3.Photo of AL-KO document showing chassis types and allowable gross weights.

I also enclose the V5C document for motorcaravan *******.

Would you please amend the revenue weight to 4000 Kg. in accordance with the supporting technical information described above.''

Hope this helps anyone else in a similar predicament.
regards
Allen

ps. I wonder what would've happened had I manipulated the digital images to read, say, 4200 kgs, which I think may have suited me better ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all you need is a small piece of aluminum stamped
revised gvw 4000kg
1 axle
2 axle
tr .wt

you could add dvla contacted on the date.
dont panic the plate system is a bit of a joke .

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
just out of interest has anyone actually been stopped by the police or any other authority and had their van tested for being overweight?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
in france , yes

in uk , no , but last summer I saw VOSA stopping and axle weighing vehicles [ including motorhomes ] where the north circular goes over ealing common [ only southbound though :winky: ]

angry reports in france last winter , apparently there is a permanent weighbridge somewhere on the main road south from bordeaux , they were picking out all the motorhomes for checks ; french motorhomers were not amused !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in recent years vosa have used the big layby at fraddon in cornwall on the a30. a weigh mat system is used one axle at a time .also in gordano services i have seen a similar system .
even worse i was once involved in a fatal accident here in cornwall .vosa did a really serious check on all vehicles .even down to brake pad thickness. luckily i was not the cause of the accident .but something like wrong weights or plates is enough to give you loads of grief .get it right saves alot of trouble later. its too late when someone collides with you ,if your vehicle is not correct you are still in trouble .
cheers alan.

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Another reason for taking the van to be weighed was after reading a post on the 'dark side' from mygalsal. They got stopped and weighed near Biarritz, overweight by a good amount and then fined appox 90 Eu.
When we got on site in Spain (Bonterra Park, Benicassim) we were relating the overweight problem, & removal of scooter, and the post from mygalsal to a lovely couple whilst shopping at Lidl (where else ?). And that couple turned out to be mygalsal and husband Don.
Small world, eh ?

regards
Allen

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
that doesn't sound like a lot overweight fine to me , more like a ..less than 5% overweight ...one

mind you , if you are more than 5% over they have a large book which I understand they throw at you

and near biarritz ? sounds like the weighbridge I have been talking about

funny think is , when we got stopped my wife was following in a car we had collected , she just pulled in behind me ...I even had to go back to get my driving licence ; did they even ask to see her driving licence ? nothing !

looks like motorhomes were flavour of the month !

btw , were they the couple standing outside holding a bowl out for donations?

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
btw , were they the couple standing outside holding a bowl out for donations?

Although they parked up for several nights opposite the Lidl they didn't have the eastern look about them, and thought they'd soon be rumbled.

Allen

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I took my Hymer 564 oldie to a local (ish) weighbridge recently. Half a tank of water and half a tank of fuel, plus one 11Kg gas cylinder. Total mass was 2,960 Kg. Useful information for the cost of 2 Euro!

Brittany has many public weighbridges, most being automatic, coin-in-the-slot things. Just keep your eyes open for signs saying "Pont Bascule". It is not a place - it is French for..... weighbridge!:Smile: You may be lucky to find that it is operative (the one that is nearest to us was de-commissioned a few years ago, but the signs still direct you to it!).

I am keen to ensure that I am within the correct parameters. Braking effectiveness, together with handling, is obviously going to be severely compromised - especially in the wet - and I don't want to be responsible for killing or injuring anyone due to my negligence. As a motorcyclist I am possibly rather more aware of the fact that, with the Hymer, I am driving a potentially lethal weapon.

France is very hot on safety, which nobody, surely, would see as a bad thing. I am very glad to know that someone is taking irresponsible and selfish motorists off the road. It is not just the Flics being bloody-minded. Caravans have to be tested for safety here, just as other larger trailers and cars.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , they had to do something ! it's not so long ago that mortality on the roads was 50% higher than the uk , a combination of booze and no discipline !
but after a great toughening up it's got a lot better , still far too high so expect some even tougher action

one of my neighbours lost his licence for drink driving 3 years ago , got his licence back , then killed himself within 12 months ....drink driving again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back