Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Over in Spain and both bed struts have now given up the ghost.

Apart from the fact that it's doing my back in does anyone know if it's safe to drive with only the check strap supporting the bed.

Or am I going to have to get some struts sent over and wait till they get here.

All opinions gratefully received.

Pete:Cool:

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Hymer Bed Struts

:Smile:Hi Pete
We had to change both ours but at different times during the last couple of years. They can be sent to Spain from Hymer UK Preston as they sent ours to Roquetas campsite for us. They are approx £23 each. To remove them lower the bed, unfasten the curtain, remove either the split pins as was in our van or the holding clips. You then raise the bed put a hand up the side of the bed, grasp one end of the strut and push it off the peg. Repeat to the other side. Lower the bed and the struts can then easily be removed. You will find that the new struts appear to be bigger but the length when they are removed from the bed are the same (the new ones are uprated). Put the new strut on the top peg and fasten it. Place the other end of the strut above the peg and push the bed back up. Put your hand up the side of the bed and put the strut back on the peg. Lower the bed and fasten. Any help you need PM me. Takes about 15 mins to do both sides.:thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
We had to change both ours but at different times during the last couple of years. They can be sent to Spain from Hymer UK Preston as they sent ours to Roquetas campsite for us. They are approx £23 each. To remove them lower the bed, unfasten the curtain, remove either the split pins as was in our van or the holding clips. You then raise the bed put a hand up the side of the bed, grasp one end of the strut and push it off the peg. Repeat to the other side. Lower the bed and the struts can then easily be removed. You will find that the new struts appear to be bigger but the length when they are removed from the bed are the same (the new ones are uprated). Put the new strut on the top peg and fasten it. Place the other end of the strut above the peg and push the bed back up. Put your hand up the side of the bed and put the strut back on the peg. Lower the bed and fasten. Any help you need PM me. Takes about 15 mins to do both sides.:thumb:

Changed mine recently took much longer than 15min and the struts from hymerUk are now £110 included postage for two

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Have you tried these guys

Link Removed

The can re-gas your existing strut for a fraction of the price of new :thumb:

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp

Thanks for that. I have the struts on order from Hymer UK and they are over a £100 for the pair. I tried Hambiltons they were the same price but didn't have any, and didn't seem very keen to order any.
I'll follow your method when I get the struts.

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Bed Struts from Hymer

Hi Pete

Cannot believe you are being charged over £100! I have just retrieved our invoice dated 21 Jan 09 Gas Piston no H352039 (strut) £23.18 each plus P & P to Spain was £10. This invoice was raised by a Mr Paul Nuttall. Who is ripping off who??? I should be on to them if I were you especially as they are part of Brownhills and could do without any more bad publicity!!!!:thumb:

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hi Pete

Cannot believe you are being charged over £100! I have just retrieved our invoice dated 21 Jan 09 Gas Piston no H352039 (strut) £23.18 each plus P & P to Spain was £10. This invoice was raised by a Mr Paul Nuttall. Who is ripping off who??? I should be on to them if I were you especially as they are part of Brownhills and could do without any more bad publicity!!!!:thumb:

Arrived today with invoice.
H352039 Packing Strut Gas BE Qty 2 @ 46.41 each plus vat.

Hambiltons talked about the struts being the same price from them.

I think the reply from Hymer UK would be, "you were quoted a price before you ordered", if I chose to complain.

I did try another company recommended to me and they weren't interested in supplying either.
So when needs must etc.

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Well they are now fitted, by yours truly.:Eeek:

The bed now lifts itself up with just a gentle tug. It never did that before.:Smile:

It is a job for a reasonably competent DIYer but it does need someone to lift the bed right up to the roof, to allow you to pop the struts onto the bottom pegs.:Smile:
Took about 35mins excluding finding someone to lift the bed up.
One of the struts was still working a bit, as with both off I couldn't lift the bed on my own.
Well I am only little:Sad:
Followed Alan's advice to the tee and that is the way to do it. Thanks mate.:thumb:

PS The old struts, made in 1997 were the same rating as the new struts made in 2009 @1700n.

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Gas Struts

Hi Pete

Pleased to hear you got the struts and have managed to do the job. I forgot to add that I was the foreman on the job when Alan done ours! Still you've done it now. We were told that you have to usually change both sides at the same time anyway. We are in Peniscola anywhere near you? We have just got here from Portugal and shall stay a month before spending another month in France. Not going to UK until June.

Anne::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hi Pete

Pleased to hear you got the struts and have managed to do the job. I forgot to add that I was the foreman on the job when Alan done ours! Still you've done it now. We were told that you have to usually change both sides at the same time anyway. We are in Peniscola anywhere near you? We have just got here from Portugal and shall stay a month before spending another month in France. Not going to UK until June.

Anne::bigsmile:

Hi Anne,
I knew you'd be in charge.:Smile:
I came back to the UK on the 23rd March as the front anti-roll bar bracket broke. (Spanish roads?), the engine developed a water leak, and the air-con stopped working, among a few other things, so thought I'd get it all done in the UK.
Bet your weather is better than mine.:Angry:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Over in Spain and both bed struts have now given up the ghost.

Apart from the fact that it's doing my back in does anyone know if it's safe to drive with only the check strap supporting the bed.

Or am I going to have to get some struts sent over and wait till they get here.

All opinions gratefully received.

I got good service from

Link Removed

When I needed new struts for the garage door on my swift 630g and the price was exeptable.

Doug...

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Re-opening an old thread............:)

Hymer bed struts, (and here I've not got the benefit of popping outside to look) are they all the same............my 644 ('89 reg) has a lazy one, so thinking of replacing, as bed comes down with a bit of a 'thud'.
Looking on SGS site, they list strut as 094765.

Anyone know for sure ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back