susyvan

Free Member
Apr 24, 2012
devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Last year we bought a Sept. 2008 Hymer Exsis 512. The handbook says the starter battery is under the driver seat console next to the transformer/rectifier. We looked under the driver's seat and found two batteries (75 and 80 Ah), so assumed they must be leisure batteries and that the handbook meant German driver's seat for the starter battery. We now find we have an Exide Gel 80Ah leisure battery under the passenger seat (UK), next to the transformer/rectifier. Can anyone tell us why there should be 2 starter batteries? Secondly, we have been given a 4.8watt solar panel - can we connect this directly to the newly-discovered leisure battery? Could it be connected to the 12volt (cigar-type) connection in the living area? Thirdly, has anyone found a way of disconnecting the useless drainage valve which dumps the water if it (not us!) thinks the temperature dangerously low? This valve also consumes electricity. Hoping for help, Susyvan

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Looks to me as if your starter battery has been replaced with a leisure battery at some time. Cheap leisure batteries are often only relabelled starter batteries so will probably still work.

The 'useless' valve can be useful sometimes, and cheaper than a new boiler if there is an unexpected cold snap. It can be held closed with a clip however if you really want to, and disconnect the wires, but I wouldn't recommend it as I think it is a valuable safety feature.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Forgot to mention the solar panel. This really is too small to make much difference, however can be connected to a 12v socket, as long as the socket is still live when the vehicle is stopped/in storage whatever. As a minimum you will need an 80w panel on the roof to keep things charged up year round (and even that won't help if it snows)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back