Hymer electric step problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by coolasluck, Mar 10, 2011.

1. coolasluck

coolasluck Read Only Funster

Hi all i have a hymer b544 with an electric step that has stopped working,the hymer is 1992.
    I have discovered that by connecting the swich wires directly to a battery that the step works perfectly(i had prior to fault finding took the motor off the step and given a good clean!)So the problem seems to be from the main power to the switch,on checking this the current is registering as bad on my circuit tester.
    Does anyone know of where the main power leads go to as i have no information and dont fancy riping the hymer apart to look for the electrics.Help is appreciated!

2. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Hi there, I can't help you with your particular problem but I have an Omnister Electric step and this stopped working after being laid up for the winter period, but I managed to resolve it quickly after spending several hours changing relays and looking at electrical drawings, all with no effect.

I HIT IT WITH A HAMMER!!!! all working OK now.

It would appear the built in relay gets stuck in one position because it's not being operated very often.

3. billy

billy Read Only Funster

I had the same problem it turned out to be a blown fuse.

4. coolasluck

I thought you would be playing games :BigGrin:

Ive thought of that but they all appear to be intact plus i am getting some power i am trying to find out where the lead goes to and if there is an inline fuse somewhere.The hymer diagram i have is crap !!

Incidentally if you can find and solve the problem for me i would have sneaked into the arcade and beaten all your scores lol

5. coolasluck

I had done that initially and it worked for me to,but not any more,i am trying to find out where the fuse would be e.t.c as i have no info

6. billy

billy Read Only Funster

I am not getting in the arcade as much as i used to, we are renovating our house so that is taking quite a bit of my time.:cry:

My step stopped working and i spent days trying to find the problem without success.
    Then i was doing another job in the van and i lifted the bench seat up and i found another batch of fuses i did not know about.

7. coolasluck

I go through the stages of the arcade and then after a day of wasted time decide to do something useful lol

I think i may have to start dismantling things,under my van the electrics seem to go into some box chasis so i think i am going to have my work cut out,as i am getting a bit of power to the switch i think there must be a loose connection.

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you are getting some power to the switch then i doubt very much it will be a fuse problem....more likely a bad earth or dirty live connector.
    but as it works by bypassing the switch and feed wire it just about rules out a bad earth.

are you checking the voltage at the incoming (live) side of the switch or the outgoing (to step)

9. coolasluck

Hi pappa i am checking at the feed to the switch(live side)

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

thought it may be the other side and a faulty switch problem.

there may be another circuit before the switch to retract the step when the ignition is turned on...safety over ride...if one is fitted !

if you can get the step out then reconnect the switch, turn on the ignition and see if it retracts....that will illiminate the ignition side of it.

easier to trace one circuit rather than two.:thumb:

11. coolasluck

I am on holiday tommorow so i think i may have to give up until after i have a spare habitational battery so may just use the switch cables to operate the step lol,i think its a case of finding out where it goes to.

12. rob kinnear

rob kinnear Read Only Funster

Hi I had a problem my omni step which was a very annoying as it worked fine then stopped working and could not find a fault., and the use of the step was a lucky dip. In my local accessory shop I found a new switch for under £10 took a gamble and bought 1. When fitted problem stopped!

All the best
    Rob

www.VANPLUSdirect.co.uk
    They are based in Crosshands

13. coolasluck

Hi rob i believe my problem is poor voltage the batteries are fully charged but i am not getting the coorect power through the cables.