Hymer Duomobil - thoughts/experiences of please (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

The worst bit for me is that when driving there are no windows behind the driver or passenger windows so at sharp bends you cannot rely on a window slightly further back to gain a safety advantage. It is rather like driving a van from that point of view

That's something neither of us had thought about and which would be a nuisance. Thanks for the info.

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Reference the window view I have never really thought about it but on driving 4000 miles since May I can't say I found any issue or being conscious of any obstical either in the UK or Europe.
The Burstner did have a window on the passenger side over the table but I have no recollection of ever being aware of its use when driving but there you go
D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can you sit up in the beds at the back? The video glossed over that aspect.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The Frankia version which was on the market a full year before Hymers Duo is in my opinion a better vehicle.

Can confirm your statement Griff and in our humble opinion, the Frankia seating is a lot more comfortable than the Hymer. The seats in the rear lounge of the Hymer are too sit up and beg. We reckoned that after an hour sat in the lounge of the Hymer you'd end up with stiff back.

Frankia wins for us - not seen the Conc yet

Last edited:

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
The Frankia is also available in a 3500kg version if required the I 72 plus.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Reference the window view I have never really thought about it but on driving 4000 miles since May I can't say I found any issue or being conscious of any obstical either in the UK or Europe.
The Burstner did have a window on the passenger side over the table but I have no recollection of ever being aware of its use when driving but there you go
D
I don't ever lift the blinds in the rear windows.:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When I started looking at all the pictures, my first ( 2nd and 3rd ! ) thoughts were, yes ! What a great van.. could well be the one we will be looking at come the time.

Then I noticed there is no prep area ( or indeed any working sides ) in the kitchen apart from the top of the sink..
I have a sneaky feeling Woman would not be very impressed at all !

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
we looked at one of these on Sunday at the NEC, it was actually quite nice but on trying to put the middle extension on the table it broke. Sales guy tried to say it was broken before we got in until we explained that all we did was pull it out so we can see it fully extended. Probably been pulled silly over the last week :)
Still the concept is certainly different.

Sandra Dennis

Free Member
Jul 26, 2016
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Duo Mobil
Exp
2 years
We saw a Hymer Duomobil recently and I was wondering if anyone has experience of this MH?

We particularly liked the design for just two people - which is what we are. At the moment we have a bed over the cab plus the main bed - we use the main bed, so we've taken the mattress out of the other and use it for storage but really its not needed.
Sorry to say I purchased the Duomobil and it's been a nightmare since day one! Endless warranty problems still ongoing 15 months later with new issues arising every time we use it. Only 3000 miles on clock and 1000 of those travelling to and from dealer!!! Now they want it back for another week to deal with old and new outstanding warranty issues. Love the layout etc and was perfect for us but the never ending warranty issues have made me be totally IN HATE of this vehicle.

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We have a Hymer Duo Mobil. We spent three weeks travelling to Santiago in it in May and are currently in France for August. The beds are fine. It makes a decent sized doubles or two singles. We use the singles layout in hot weather.

The lounge area is adequate. We used it a lot in the cool weather in Spain (you were enjoying a heat wave).

The kitchen area is small, more especially for food preparation and washing up. In the summer we cook on the Cadac and Mike takes the washing up to the facilities, so no issue.

It was warm as toast in the winter. However it lacks the fans and air con we had in our Autotrail Scout and we are baking! 30+ degrees all last night. Am I missing something? Will be reading the handbook when we park up tonight. And it’s heavy!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Saw the frankia one. The seating area seems further back than the hymer.

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
We have just ordered a Dethleffs Alpa, same concept as a Duomobil but an overcab coachbuilt with permanent beds not pulldown, which we preferred. The Dethleffs seemed to have better build quality as well, more space, bigger garage, bigger lounge, and cheaper.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have just ordered a Dethleffs Alpa, same concept as a Duomobil but an overcab coachbuilt with permanent beds not pulldown, which we preferred. The Dethleffs seemed to have better build quality as well, more space, bigger garage, bigger lounge, and cheaper.
I would be interested to hear how you get on, as this is one on our short list of possible next van, list! When do you get it?

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Evening
We have had our duo mobile for 3 years and have 18000 miles on it.
Just returned from a trip to Croatia,Slovenia,Austria,Germany.
We are now comfortable with the layout and concept a few initial warranty issues but dealt with ok.
Not many things not to like bed is comfortable and large enough as it drops down to a low level no head room issues,bathroom,shower fine kitchen area is fine as in the middle of the van back to the door plenty of room but as always compromise is not far away as we are now used to it we give each other enough room!
Table is large no deniying but as it doubles for a double bed base no surprises there then.
Alde system works well and van great in the cooler times.
We have had aircon that allows for split cooling (bedroom,bathroom,etc separated so cooling the sleeping area is optional.
Two seat belted seats under the bench seating so an option if required.
Garage is massive and room for loads of gear (450 kg max load rate).
Van drives well (180 engine).
We tow a trailer when on extended Euro tours so can end up a bit long and a bit of thought need at times.
In all a good van not perfect none are and as the time for a change is approaching I feel finding a replacement better than this will not be simple
Regards D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back