Hymer Drop Down bed ..is it any good ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Am thinking on buying an older Hymer.. probably a B544 but won't rule out other models.. will have to wait and see what is available when we are in a position to buy.. hopeful in a month or so..

what I want to know is the Drop Down over-cab bed practical and comfortable for two adults.. ? Is there enough head room.. can the person at the back get over the person at the front .. ?

or would you only consider it as a useful extra bed for occasional use.. does anyone use it as their 'main' bed.

We used to own a Karmann with an over cab luton bed but it was too low for my liking and made me feel claustrophobic..

as we don't want to use the dining table bed as 'our' bed, if this were the case with the drop down bed we need to re think.

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
From what I have personally seen Jim, they are the comfortable and easy answer to the long standing problem of 'going to bed'. We have a luton, and we both sleep up in the Gods, but the pull down version means more headroom, and a much shorter ladder, just a matter of folding the front seat backs forwards. Some of the 'B' models you mention had a centre bed option, where the unit lowers down over the dinette, but not come across one yet.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
The drop down bed suits us well, easy to use and very comfortable. Never had a luton bed but can't imagine that the drop down is any worse.

Always the risk of a drunken fall but it hasn't happened yet !

Will say that our previous 1998 Hymer bed was much harder to move (gas struts needed replacing?) and the mattress was just foam and not nearly as comfortable as our current sprung one.

Having slept on a made up dinette though, drop down wins every time.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
or would you only consider it as a useful extra for occasional use.. does anyone use it as their 'main' bed.
That's exactly how we would use ours Jim, and for soft storage, ie, spare bedding and cusions, etc.
I have to say though, that everyone one we have spoken to, who do use the drop down bed as their main bed, say that it is extremely comfortable. (y)

Rita and I didn't relish climbing over each other to get to the toilet during the night, and that's why we went for the rear fixed bed. Upon Jim & Sian's recommendations, we've added a Raskelf mattress topper to that, which has made it mega comfy. No more lower backache since. ;-)

BTW, check the cantilever mounting points on any drop down bed you are looking at. I caught mine just in time to retighten the nylock nuts. Other's haven't been so lucky, and it's a fair old weight when it becomes unsupported. :eek: Ask Jim. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As a footnote to my post above, the HymerTramp 155 has the pull down bed over the centre dinette. Quite rare, I think, but looks nice. :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks for the quick and useful replies.. sounds like it would be ok..

but to satisfy ourselves, probably our best bet is to try one out at a dealers..

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
thanks for the quick and useful replies.. sounds like it would be ok..

but to satisfy ourselves, probably our best bet is to try one out at a dealers..
Jim, I have all the Hymer model bed layouts and interiors on PDF if you want them, (from the early to late 90's). Just PM me an email addy, and I will forward them to you. (y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When the bed is in the up position can the duvet and pillows be left in place or has the bed to be stripped each morning ? Cheers

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim, I have all the Hymer model bed layouts and interiors on PDF if you want them, (from the early to late 90's). Just PM me an email addy, and I will forward them to you. (y)

thanks.. if it's the same as this I already have a copy ..http://web.archive.org/web/20100706162748/http://www.dmiuk.com/sale_hylay.php

if better than that please email to. scotjimland(at)gmail.com

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Excellent motorhome Jim. We use it as the main bed in our B544, I'm eighteen stone, Siân' eight. And we use it around 100 nights a year no problems. Brilliant bed. (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We use the drop down bed in our 2001 B584 every night and find it very good, no making bed each night and no wasted space during the day. The person on the in-side can get out with the outer person just moving legs a bit and you can sit up for a morning drink.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Cheers Moho . It is a style of van we are considering , but have never owned or used. Making the bed up each night now is becoming less appealing .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We both like the old Hymers and decided on b544 (or an S555 ) for several reasons..

length <6mt, fits our drive with comfort.
5 berth, (useful for grand kids)
4 belted seats,
good size kitchen, toilet and shower..
drop down bed, almost as good as a fixed bed..

as we will have Chaz with us for a few more years the single sofa will make a bed for her and still leave the dining table free for the early morning cuppa .. and no need to rush to bed if she is tired before us.. later on we will probably have the grand kids with us.. no escaping kids eh.. :rolleyes:

would have loved a fixed bed layout, but in a short van I think it uses up too much floor space.. from the useful replies, it looks like the drop down bed is a compromise I think we can live with..

as I mentioned earlier, much will depend on what is available when we go to look, the B544 is a popular van and they don't hang about long before being snapped up.. so nothing ruled out .. we may even import if required.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Cheers Moho . It is a style of van we are considering , but have never owned or used. Making the bed up each night now is becoming less appealing .
Our b544 was dinette and bench layout, fabulous but not ideal when you have kids, as had to make their bed each night...

New van is b524, with bunks for the kids, drop down for us. Another great van but do I ever miss the old bench seat....best lounger ever !

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Only 2 of us , but a 3rd belted seat would useful . No need for another berth son can sleep in tent if he visits for a cheap weekend. Also think an a class will give us more room for the same length we have at the moment.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
only negative I've read about the 544 is the low(ish) payload... ?
but we want to keep at max of 3.5t so that Jan can drive..

any comments ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have the 584 with the drop down bed, (had it 10 years) only ever use the drop down bed, always leave it made up with quilt pillows etc. we find it very comfortable easy to climb in and out of and would not think of sleeping anywhere else. Then of course when it's up loads of space.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
We have the 584 with the drop down bed, (had it 10 years) only ever use the drop down bed, always leave it made up with quilt pillows etc. we find it very comfortable easy to climb in and out of and would not think of sleeping anywhere else. Then of course when it's up loads of space.
What Carol said ::bigsmile:

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
I we have a b564 drop down bed leave made up plus any spare throws etc plenty of head height to read or have a morning tea very space saving .

Sep 15, 2013
East Grinstead
Funster No
MH
A Class
We have a B584 and use the drop down as the main bed. I am 6ft2 and no issues. We leave the bed made up and just push it up, latch and go. No worries

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
When we decided to get a motorhome 4 years ago and both being about to turn 60, we decided we wanted a fixed bed. Then we saw a couple of Hymers at a dealers and I pulled the bed down and we gave it a try. We were pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it was and 4 years later still most pleased with our choice of B544.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Could i ask please do you feel the cold from the windows when you use the drop down bed in the Hymer ?

Sep 15, 2013
East Grinstead
Funster No
MH
A Class
We have not been in when the temp drops down really low. We have been in when its cold out had the heater on and it was ok. considered getting silverscreens just in case and they keep the condensation at bay.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
We have a drop down in a S740 and use it throughout the year. The one on the inside on very cold nights is aware of the windscreen but the bed is so wide that they can stay well away from it. We don't use silver screens I'm sure that they would help. A very comfortable bed.

Dick

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We would love a hymer 564 model with the two bench seats. and fixed bed it would have been ideal for us apart from the fact it does not have a third seat belt for Amanda :( . We were quoted by a company in the midlands £5000 for them to change one of the bench seats into a belt seat whilst being driven then back into a bench seat once parked up. Obviously it would just cost to much we been looking ever since to find another hymer to suit our needs but sadly nothing has yet :( think my heart is still set on a 654 but it would have to be a bargain to be able to pay out another £5000

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back