Hymer drivers arm rest removal

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by shellick, Mar 30, 2016.

1. shellick

shellick Funster

Hi can anyone tell me how to remove
    The arm rest

2. 2bob

2bob Funster

un bolt it

3. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

When someone responds with the definitive answer,I too would be interested as one of my armrests won't stay horizontal. Brownhills couldn't do it and the best effort was Lowdhams but it lasted barely a day.
    If I could take it of and have a look at the mechanism I may be able to make replacement parts if I can get into it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have never tried this myself, but a bit of research has brought up a description posted on 'the Dark Side' in 2006 (I am not a member!).

Unscrew the knob as far as possible in order to get some form of lever behind it. The knob is friction fitted on a splined shaft so you need a kind of 'joint splitter' - something like a large tuning fork that goes over the shaft. Then give said splitter a few sharp taps with a hammer, away from the arm rest to pull of the knob. Once this is removed, the fixing screws etc will be revealed apparently. Also noted in the post is that the 'zip' holding the covering is a bit odd as there is no zip puller attached to it. I also found mention of a pin that goes though the mechanism towards the back and the loss of this prevents the knob from keeping the arm rest in position.

Hope this helps - good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. bjandlin

bjandlin Funster

Thanks JL. not looking to remove mine but you never know! You were up early by the way.
    BJ

6. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

......or late!

7. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I took mine off to accommodate having new seat and armrest covers fitted. The actual arms I think you will find, are on a spline fitted to the seat. If you push the cloth back firmly where the arm swings from the backrest you should see a bolt passing through. Remove nut, push bolt out and complete arm drops off. It's a bit fiddly and more than two pairs of hands needrd ideally. Removing the adjuster is as @JeanLuc has described.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

When you get the arm off following all the above, the cover should unzip. It then is fairly easy to dismantle and you will see how the mechanism works for armrest adjustment. It's pretty straightforward .

• Thanks Thanks x 2