Hymer dipped beam bulb change (1 Viewer)

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have any Hymer owner got tips on the best way to change the dipped beam bulb, this is the outermost round Hella lights. I Have looked on the Internet & it does seem that opinion is from underneath after removing the inner wheel arch!
If that is the case how do you remove the inner wheel arch, or is there a simpler way?

Mike (Hymer B644 1999 model)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Either a long arm and some considerable contortion, or remove the front bumper.

To remove the bumper (lower grey skirt):
  • First get under the front and remove 4 bolts from brackets spaced across the front. Lie with your head towards the engine then look forwards and up into the bottom of the bumper and you will see them. They are fitted with the bolt heads down and nuts above so you need two spanners.
  • Next remove self-tapping screws that hold the grey wheel arches to the bumper. These are concealed behind the grey trim strip that is fitted between the arches (in older vans this has often turned 'blackish' and may have hardened). The strip can be 'peeled back' to reveal the screw heads which fit through small drilled S/S plates (note their orientation and keep them safe). You need only remove the screws that connect arch with bumper - don't bother to take out the screws that hold arch to white side wall as the arch can be left in place.
  • Look up under the arches and you should see two more vertical self-tappers holding the end of the bumper to the bodywork (one each side).
  • Finally, look down behind the radiator grill and you will see two self-tappers holding the front cab moulding to the grey bumper. These are to either side of the radiator and are screwed down vertically - remove them with a long screwdriver.
  • Now, you should be able to pull the bumper forward off its metal locating lugs that are to either side of the aforementioned screws behind the radiator. I suggest having something like a foot stool or other small platform in front of the van to rest the bumper on. It will still be attached to the main body by the cables to the indicators (and fog lights if fitted).
  • Disconnect the cables by separating the 'Mate-N-Lok' (MNL) connectors and remove the bumper.
Now you should be able to see up in front of the wheel arch lining to access the rear of the headlamp units.

p.s. so far as I recall, all the screws have Philips heads, not Pozidrive. If you have to replace any, make sure you use stainless.

Good luck and enjoy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I managed to do mine from inside the bonnet but had to just use feel because when you get your arm in there's no space to see what your doing, but it is possible.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I managed to do mine from inside the bonnet but had to just use feel because when you get your arm in there's no space to see what your doing, but it is possible.
Agreed - I have only had to change a main beam (inside) bulb, but I have had a play around with the outer dipped unit. You just have to be prepared to contort and risk banging your head. I believe the practised pros (e.g. Peter Hambilton) have been known to do it with their back to the engine for the right-hand side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back