Hymer diff (1 Viewer)

Bedbug

Free Member
Nov 8, 2012
Funster No
Anyone ever changed a hymer diff?I read somewhere that someone had changed one for a 309 coach diff ,my old girl feels like she needs another gear and to run a little less noisy in her old age, she's a 1991 s670 , and I love her to bits

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It is possible to put a higher ratio dif in, but have you considered the problem of having to be constantly changing down at the slightest incline. The Merc 410 running gear is not known for being over powered and you will sacrifice this by uping the gear ratio. The cheapest and easiest solution is go for a taller tyre. I did this on a VW LT with good results.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I agree with Snowbird here, raising the ratio will make inclines and initial pull off much harder work and slower for the engine - this will put more strain on the drive train and I doubt you will feel much benefit. Fitting a larger tyre/wheel with have a similar effect but without straining the drive train.

Don't forget, a motorhome is like a fully loaded van - lots of weight to pull around. Lower ratios work better with weight pulling and have less strain on the engine/transmission and clutch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just wondering if your model has a direct drive or overdrive gearbox, some are direct drive, as mine was. You can fit an overdrive gearbox without any problem, far better than changing the diff. If your engine was oozing with power then OK but it's probably a good old slogger that wouldn't take to kindly to a diff upgrade.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back