Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Hi

I've just been testing the hot water boiler on my 544 and wondered if you run it on it's own or do you need the heater running too?

Not sure of the boiler make but there's a Truma control point on the outside wall of the cupboard so assume it's a Truma. I removed the vent cover on the outside, set the temp to 40 degrees and tuned on the switch. It seemed to fire up ok and only the green LED lit (the red one lit as well before but I hadn't removed the vent cover).

The water was luke warm at best. I then moved the dial to 50 degrees and not much changed. Is the hot water pretty instant or do you need to run it for a while?

I also turned on the Trumatic S3002 heater to see if that made a difference but it didn't seem to.I assume you don't need to run the heater as well but you know what they say about assumptions. Can someone clarify this please?

Do most people run the temp control at 40/50/60 degrees?

I'm not expecting scalding hot water but something a bit better than luke warm would be nice.

Cheers!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the water heater is independant of the heating and heats around 10ltrs of water in about 10-15mins, very similar to an imersion heater on electric or an old fashioned tea urn on gas

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Water heater

When i tried my water heater for the first time i had it set about 55 and it seemed to get hot enough.:thumb: Worked independant off the other heaters.

What i'm not sure about is should it be left on and work on the thermostat, ie as you use water and the tank fills with cold water it will just reheat, or just put it on to heat the tank then switch it off.:Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Takes mine about 30-40 minutes to heat the water up to 60C. 20Liter tank from memory.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi aprox 20/30 mins 60 d independent to heater-also just leave on and turn off at night
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are you sure you aren't trying to control the boiler with the heating thermostat ?

controls should be marked as......

heating = Truma-heat

water = Truma-store.

OP
OP
C

cmb

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Had lovely warm showers this weekend! :Smile: Thanks for all your replies.

I ran the hot tap for a few mins to ensure the boiler wasn't empty, then I switch it on and set the thermostat to 50 and 20 mins later the water was warm.

In my 544 there are two control units on the wall behind the cupboard, above the bench seat - one controls the heater and one controls the boiler. Both can be used independently.

One last thing....

When I'm stopped with the engine off and I move around in the motorhome I can hear water sloshing around inside a vessel behind the heater (underneath the board in the wardrobe). I read everywhere about making sure the boiler is not empty when turning it on. I assume that by turning on a hot tap it draws water from the fresh water tank through the boiler?? Is this reservoir inside the boiler or part of it? How big is it? As I use hotwater is this vessel automatically refilled? If it becomes empty due to the fresh water tank becoming empty, once I refill the fresh water tank how long do I need to run the hot tamp to ensure the boiler is not empty? Enough to fill the vessel completely??

Cheers

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
One last thing....

When I'm stopped with the engine off and I move around in the motorhome I can hear water sloshing around inside a vessel behind the heater (underneath the board in the wardrobe). I read everywhere about making sure the boiler is not empty when turning it on. I assume that by turning on a hot tap it draws water from the fresh water tank through the boiler?? Is this reservoir inside the boiler or part of it? How big is it? As I use hotwater is this vessel automatically refilled? If it becomes empty due to the fresh water tank becoming empty, once I refill the fresh water tank how long do I need to run the hot tamp to ensure the boiler is not empty? Enough to fill the vessel completely??

Cheers

Not certain why you can hear water sloshing, as your water tank is between the floors on a Hymer.... best take a look

your boiler has an integral tank filled from the cold water tank as needed...open the hot tap and as hot comes out one end cold replaces it. If you run dry turn off the boiler quickly and the pump. refill the tank as usuall. then turn pump back on and run hot tap till you get water and no air....then put boiler back on.

It takes some getting used to but basically reorganise your routine to make sure you dont run out of water. you certainly wouldnt be the first to run out of water half way through a shower, covered in suds....most do similar before learning about the way mh water systems work

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
This is not an answer to your question, but when asking for advice, it's a good idea to say what model year your motorhome is. The B544 has been in production for about 30 years and there have been many versions in that time with different fittings. For example, Big1 referred to the fresh tank being between the floors, but that will only apply after about 2000 / 2001 - before that, they were all single-floored. The Truma heaters also changed over that time from the S series (look a bit like radiators) to the C, and now D series - both of which are hidden in cupboards or similar.

OP
OP
C

cmb

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Apologies...

It's a 1991 B544 (544 or B544?). Yes, the water tank is under the forward facing double seat. The water I can hear sloshing about is over the other side - behind the heater under the cupoard.

Thanks

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'm afraid I don't know much about the heaters in that vintage - mine's 2003. As far as I can tell from the Truma website, the S3002 is a space heater only and does not heat water. If I am correct, there must be another water heater, perhaps located behind it, and maybe this contains the water you can hear sloshing about. I think you need to find someone with a Hymer of similar vintage to yours - there are several Funsters that fit the bill. Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back