Hymer Blind Refresh (1 Viewer)

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a 1999 Hymer B655 & the blinds have lost their colour, I have been looking for a way to freshen them up & have been looking for a solution for quite some time.
Karen has a favourite pair of shoes that are hardly worn, but she scuffed the toe. I was trawling the internet for a good shoe dye & came across some fabric dye so I sorted Karen's shoe dye & also ordered 1/2 Ltr of Tahiti Blue fabric dye. I am well impressed with the results, I have 5 blinds plus the front & side cab internal blinds. I still have the front cab blinds to do, mine only needed 1 coat brushed on even though they were quite bad.
I estimate that I will need 1 Ltr to complete the whole lot. Under £30 for 1 Ltr of fabric dye & some artists brushes bargain.
The fabric dye is from furnitureclinic.co.uk

See before & after photos attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 475
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 475
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 470

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
must say.. that does look the dogs whatsits.. ours are a bit faded but not patchy so will leave for the moment but will mark this post for future reference

just to clarify, was it the Fabricoat you bought and how did you decide on a colour.. don't see any samples on the site ?

OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
must say.. that does look the dogs whatsits.. ours are a bit faded but not patchy so will leave for the moment but will mark this post for future reference

just to clarify, was it the Fabricoat you bought and how did you decide on a colour.. don't see any samples on the site ?

Jim, yes it was the Fabricoat I bought, they have colour charts on the website.
I just picked the colour from the site, but I expect that they would provide samples if asked.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
That looks really good, ours are a similar colour but don't need doing yet. Have you "painted" the other side of the blind? Or does the dye seep through?

I'm really impressed.

OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That looks really good, ours are a similar colour but don't need doing yet. Have you "painted" the other side of the blind? Or does the dye seep through?

I'm really impressed.
Mousy,
I only painted the inside because on mine the inside has a fabric finish, the outside appears to be a flat metallic finish, the dye does not bleed through because of the metallic outside I presume.

Mike

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I did our kitchen blind a few years ago as the previous owners were none too careful with the frying pan. (n)

I used a similar product, ie, http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Acrylic/Anitas/Anitas-Craft.html
I got ours from a local Wyevale garden Centre, and chose the Dove Grey, No 11031.
I closed the blind, gathered a few pleats and held them together with a couple of clothes pegs to stretch the area I wanted to paint, and when the paint had dried I did the same with the rest of the pleats. When done, I gave them a second coat. This method meant that I didn't have to dismantle the plastic housing and remove the blind. (y)

Sundowners (Nigel & Pamala) viewed the refreshed blind at Newark, and commented on how well it had come up. :)

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Hi Peeps, I have the Hymer B680 and the blinds are looking a bit tired, but mainly from the fact that I have to fold them carefully to put them away, they are the pleated units, does the repaint trick tend to re-stiffen them too ?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
mine are also a type of paper, that's why I asked if the paint trick stiffens them or would it make them worse by going soggy ?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi @mikekaren2 havnt been on Fun since August so you may be waiting awhile for a reply.

I haven't done my blinds but have used the paint and it stiffens lightly when dry it certainly doesn't make it worse. You can buy a spray that is used to stiffen fabric for making blinds. Maybe try that after painting?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
does the repaint trick tend to re-stiffen them too ?
It did on our kitchen blind, but that is the fabric lined metallic type, and not the paper type.

I did have to guide it into the cassette every time afterwards for a while, using my fingers front and back, but hey, a small inconvenience for a new looking blind. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
OK, I've now ordered the paint as mikekaren2 suggested, so when it arrives I'll let you know the outcome, with some piccies (hope it works ?(n))

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
That sounds great, I have blue/ grey colour blinds and was wondering how much would it be to renew? But they are the paper/ card type. I will be watching with interest re results of paper blinds after process! Thanks, X

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
That sounds great, I have blue/ grey colour blinds and was wondering how much would it be to renew? But they are the paper/ card type. I will be watching with interest re results of paper blinds after process! Thanks, X
Have a look at the back of your blinds Ian. I think you might find that they are metallic. ;-)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
OK, as promised a few piccies of my Hymer blind re-furb, I'm not sure what order they will show, but the first one is before the re-furb, the second one is in a bit closer, (it's the kitchen window, absorbed fat ??) the third one is after the re-furb, the forth one is the driver side bedroom unit, and the last one is the good lady wife at work.

I also used Tahiti Blue, looks a little darker initially but then it seems to mellow and lighten, you mix it 50/50 with water.

I purchased a 1/2 litre about £15.00 (free post) and it arrived fairly quickly, about 4 days, well pleased, I'll check them tomorrow to see if the blinds have stiffened up at all.

Sorry, not too sure what happened here as I think I only posted 6 pics ?

P1270076.JPG
P1270076.JPG
P1270077.JPG
P1270076.JPG
P1270077.JPG
P1270078.JPG
P1270079.JPG
P1270080.JPG
P1270081.JPG

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Many thanks Ian, we'll know more tomorrow when we check today's efforts, but we'll carry on anyway

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Well good news and bad news, the fabric dye is very good, they now look like new, but the dye did not stiffen the blinds, so I'm still looking for a cure for that, suggestions please

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That paint looks really good.
What about a coat of PVA to stiffen them up ? just make sure they don`t stick together.
PS no liability accepted if it all goes horribly wrong !

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
That paint looks really good.
What about a coat of PVA to stiffen them up ? just make sure they don`t stick together.
PS no liability accepted if it all goes horribly wrong !

LOL

I did consider a spray on starch ? But ova might do the same thing ?
Cheers
Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back