Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1991 A Class
Exp
6 years
CIMG0272.JPG CIMG0271.JPG
CIMG0272.JPG
CIMG0271.JPG
CIMG0272.JPG CIMG0271.JPG Hi all, new to Motorhome Fun,I hope I am posting this in the right forum!

I have just aquired a 1991 Hymer B544 which came complete with a bike rack for 3 bikes, but which does not have any clamps with it. I have seen this type of rack on pictures of A class Hymers of this era, but I don't think I have ever seen any clamps on them. The tube sizes seem odd, 32mm for the main section, and 25mm for the top tubes which hook on to the top mounting brackets, and 25 mm for the black cross tube. There is another short 25mm black tube, mounted on the the cross tube with a U bolt, which carries two brackets similar to those used on the van as fixing points for external screens and for hooking the side locker straps.

It is mounted by hooking over the two top mounting brackets, and then bolted at the bottom through an aluminium section which is fixed to the van.

There is nothing on the rack other than a very faded "Hymer" sticker and an equally faded 50kg maximum load warning. I thought it might be made by Omnistor, but there is nothing I can find on their models which give me any clues.

Could anyone enlighten me as to how this rack works please? I was fine with our old vans Fiamma Carrybike 200, also very old, but this one has got me beat so far!

I hope I can upload a couple of pictures which may help.

TIA

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Looks like the standard Hymer rack.. same as I have..

The rack with the three channels folds down..

The black bar looks like a 'user modification'.. to clamp three bikes , I would get rid of it .. looks naff

You can buy the proper bike support arms and the plastic clamps that fit around the V channel to hold the wheels from Fiamma

Google: Fiamma bike clamps.. there are plenty on ebay...

example.. a set of three Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
M

mgfx

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1991 A Class
Exp
6 years
Thanks for that Jim,
I know that I can buy Fiamma, or Thule/Omnistore clamps, but they will need to be packed out /bushed to clamp firmly on to these slim 25mm rails I think!

Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed
The black bars are original, and are fitted to a few Hymers of this age such as these pictures of others I have seen for sale. The only thing I can think of is that the shorter bar should be clamped in an upright position so that bikes vcan somehow be strapped to it via the brackets mounted on it! A bit Heath Robinson and not very Hymer, when Fiamma and Omnistor were using adjustable clamps at that time!!

I don't know if anyone can remember having such a rack, or if there is someone on here who still has one and knows how it is supposed to be used?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Hymer bike rack.JPG
    Hymer bike rack.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 43
  • Hymer 544 1988 4.jpg
    Hymer 544 1988 4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 43

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
I have 1991 534 and my rack looks identical. I have the same black bar, so I don't think it's a user modification.

The wheels tend to pop off the rails, so I just got some Fiamma wheel straps from eBay. They work great.

Also got the bike carrier arm mentioned by @scotjimland for the outermost of the two bikes on the rack. I'm thinking I won't pay another £15 for another arm as the other bike, the one closest to the inside of the rack, as it's pretty well wedged in there by the other bike and the built-in black bar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back