Hymer bed struts (fitting) (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hi has anyone fitted Hymer bed struts ? I have managed to remove the old ones, but the new ones have to be fitted fully extended due to high pressure in the strut. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Phil

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Bookmarked this thread as I'll need to be doing this myself this year.

I have these instructions that someone emailed to me, so I cannot vouch for them and do not know if this is the correct way to change them

"WARNING THESE STRUTS HAVE VERY HIGH PRESSURE RAMS"
This procedure can be done by a competent DIYer
To replace a gas strut it is very important to make sure that there is no residual pressure on the locating pins. To achieve this, the bed must be set and held as high as possible, using the travel strap. I found it easier if the bed was emptied including the mattress.
The split pins were then removed and the strut checked that it was fully extended by being loose on the location pins. I then carefully removed the drum end, pointing to the back of the van first. This to ensure that if there is any residual pressure remaining, the strut it would be travelling away from the windscreen. The new strut was then fitted in the same position and split pins re-located to secure the strut before lowering the bed.
I was able to do the above from the inside of the van, but some may find it as easy to do the above from outside by leaning through the driver's door and the sliding window.

OP
OP
Gaston aires
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
The model hymer was B630 starline, they cost £95 per pair, and I fitted them myself. Awkward but not impossible. If you need some tips you can phone me on 07772842903.
Regards Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back