Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Evening all,

We are thinking of buying a brand new Hymer B678 as it has the ideal layout for us. Fully winterised with a large garage and twin beds at the back. We ski and spend time in sub zero temperatures. Has anybody got any experience of using one of these vans in the colder conditions? Are they as good as the dealer is making out.
One concern that I have is the van has a 2.3 130bhp Euro 5 engine. The dealer insists that these engines are more than capable and work well. Again does anybody have this engine fitted and how do they perform.

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated thanks.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We bought one from Becks last November and are very pleased with it. Mind you ours has the 3 litre engine and an auto gearbox. And that just hauls it along fine with plenty of power to spare. However I have heard that the 2.3 engine is still OK for them.

Ours has the Alko chassis and a maximum weight of 4.5t which gives plenty of payload. We have just bought a little scooter to go in the garage. Ours also has the Alde heating. We were a bit concerned because we were used to Truma blown air. We needn't have been, the Alde keeps it really toasty warm.
What is the MGW of yours? If it is 3.5t or 3.85t then I suspect you will not have much payload to really make good use of all of the storage, especially if you have got some extras fitted.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
(y)You will have no problems with keeping warm in your Hymer. I have had two during the last 14 years, never been cold in any severe weather conditions on the continent.

Can't really help on the engine front, mine is a 3.0 litre manual but my son has a Dethleffs low profile with the 2.3 engine (4250 gvw) and he says it flies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Peterc10 you are correct the payload is small but it has the Alko chassis and the dealer has said that he will organise with DVLA increasing the MGW to 3.85t or possibly 4t. Thanks for your feedback it's helpful.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It may help to have an underslung gas tank fitted as well, to give you more for heating when you are skiing.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Peterc10 you are correct the payload is small but it has the Alko chassis and the dealer has said that he will organise with DVLA increasing the MGW to 3.85t or possibly 4t. Thanks for your feedback it's helpful.
With my model 3.5t left you with only 260kg of payload, and that assumes that the model was not overweight. The extras on mine came to 378kg! 3.85t should be easy to achieve, but it would still not be enough payload to load such a large motorhome. The garage is huge and very tempting! But not sure they could get it to 4t.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
No skiing experience but all Hymer B-class vans are very well winterised; they have been for years.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Hi @M1wor - cannot help on you question - B678 looks lovely though :) out of interest what will you do re tyres? Run existing M&S or new additional wheels + full winters?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have been seriously looking at the 678 & 704 until the boss put her foot down, I had to concede as the current van is less than 2 years old.

I have the 150 engine in my Exsis with the auto box, well worth the extra. We had the 130 in the last van it was good but not in the same league when going up mountain roads with 1 in 4's and hairpins, the 150 is also more relaxing to drive. With the 4500 kg chassis the 150 engine is the only sensible option unless you go for the 3Lt.

Personally I would go for the Premier Line version as it is only €1000 more and comes with €5000 - €6000 of extras most of what you need anyway and the 4500 kg chassis is standard. I priced one up with the high spec we wanted (Winter pack with Alde, 150hp, auto, etc,.) reckon I could get one for under £65k, with the pound dropping would be a few K more now, but still good value.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back