Hymer B644 G .... Table.. any ideas ?

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by scotjimland, Oct 12, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The table in our Hymer is great, strong and well made, ... it slides both ways making it easy to gain access to the side seat.. and it locks for travelling.. a great bit of (over ? ) engineering..

however it has an Achilles heel .. you cannot remove it.. and there are occasions when you want more floor space and the option of removing and storing in the garage..

I don't want to take it out and replace with a camp table.. I don't want to butcher it.. but am looking for an elegant solution that retains the Hymer table but makes it removable..

big ask..

.. this is the table ..

20150328_161711.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. Kim H

Kim H Funster Life Member

We have the same layout as you in our 680 @ScotlandJim and faced the same dilemma. Much as we found the table very robust and sturdy, it was just too big and cumbersome. The idea of making it removable sounds good in theory but as you say, it's very over engineered and the pedestal that it stands on is huge and unless you could make that easily removable too, I doubt you would gain much space. We lived with it for 4 years and then decided that we were going to remove it and replace with something much smaller and lighter but that would still give us the manoeuvrability that we had with the old one. We were shocked to discover that the table and pedestal had a combined weight of around 27kgs - that's an awful lot of hardware to carry in and out when you fancy the floor space!
    The option we've gone for is a swan neck and although it's nowhere near as sturdy as the original table, the space and flexibility that we now have more than makes up for it. We've just spent a month away in the van with our new table and we're both really pleased with it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Portland

Portland Funster

We had the same problem with our 544 we removed the table and carried a collapsible table in the wardrobe and it took seconds to put up to use

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

@katv
    Hi Kim

I like it.. where did you buy the hardware.... ?

Did you consider using a the existing Hymer top, cut to suit.. . or did you keep it for replacing if you sold the van ?

5. Kim H

We took the easy option and got Peter Hambilton to do it for us. We considered using the existing table and cutting to size but decided to keep it for a possible future sale.

• Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

yes.. that's my thinking..

thanks again

had another look.. it wouldn't suit, as there are three of us ..for the present.

we need the full size table for meals.

7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. scotjimland

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Kim H

We considered getting a free standing table or modifying the existing one to free standing as we too could see the merits of being able to use it inside or out. The thing that swayed us against it was that we would then have to look for dedicated storage space to keep it whilst in transit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fenman

Fenman Funster

Thanks Jim for this thread. It is one of the areas we were worried about when looking for our new van. We like so much about Hymers that they are our first choice but this was a sticking point.
    The replies are promising - though I nearly died seeing the prices of some of those pedestals!!!
    I look forward to reading - and hopefully seeing pics - of your solution.

• Like Like x 1
  11. scotjimland

Have ordered table legs (as per link) from Oleary's .. will post pictures once they are fitted

• Like Like x 2
  12. scotjimland

When not in use and while travelling will store in garage .. but may also buy a small craft table from the Range to use occasional when the big one isn't required..

• Like Like x 1
  13. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

My old Auto-sleeper had two of these, one each end of the large table top that stored behind the settee, but I only ever used one of the legs so we could swing it around to get in and out, and it was never a problem, always felt nice and sturdy just on the one leg(y)

14. scotjimland

Also used the pedestal types .. . and did consider.. also suggested by Tony..

the main benefit of folding legs is being able to use outside..

• Like Like x 1
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Only just seen this thread. I recently modified our table by removing the heavy original base (which allowed it to be used as a bed) and fitted one of these pedestal legs. The leg is relatively expensive but has an advantage over others in that it locks into the base and the top is clipped so that it can be left in place whilst travelling.

One thing to watch Jim is that your table top isn't hollow at the places you wish to attach your new legs to. The centre of our table top is hollow so I had to glue on a piece of timber to screw in to.

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

ha ha .. you must be psychic .. :LOL:

legs arrived today and really pleased with them.. well designed and manufactured.. but as luck would have it, where the fixing screws go is hollow.. damn...

have to visit to Jewsons for a nice piece of hardwood..

these things are sent to try us.. :rolleyes:

17. beacons

beacons Funster

After two years of owning this hymer
    I decided to take the table out (it just slides off the wall fitting)as when we relax it was in the way what a difference so much more room we bought a nice fold up table same colour as our interior looks good
    hymer table stored tidily in garage ready for when we sell .

• Like Like x 1
  18. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I was just about to post - be careful regarding the fixing screws because Hymer tables are made of a honeycomb construction to keep weight down. I know because a book fell out of the locker above ours - corner down - and went through the 'formica' top. It's hollow underneath!

• Like Like x 2
  19. scotjimland

indeed.. I realised that when I took it out.. but was hoping to catch some of the inside timber that the existing legs framework was screwed into.. no such luck..

The new legs fixing plates are 4" wide.. so will need to glue a piece of timber, about 6 " wide, the length of the table.. will have a look at the local timber yard to see what is available..

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Jewsons? Jewsons? Haven't you got a store of "that'll come in useful" offcuts Jim? Shame on you :LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 3