Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
searched posts but can't see any relating to accessing wing mirrors from inside my Hymer, nothing looks obvious,
P1040133.JPG
before I start taking things to pieces I wonder if anyone has the set procedure to hand?
P1040132.JPG

Mirrors are loose on body, looks like some reinforcement is called for.

Drivers side has been whacked and is cracked, hope I can get glass replacement.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Hello,
Think you will find that the bracket base is separate to the mounting on the body. It seems to be slid down on a taper. From what I've read previously a sharp tap !! upwards separates the mirror from the taper. A drop of PLUS GAS or similar might help first. The mounting can then be tightened to the body. probably just the screws loosened.
Mirror lenses easily available on internet. From memory they're DAF truck ones.
Barrie.

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Thanks Barrie, cup of tea over, will have a close look, the fact that the things have been somewhat crudely painted over doesn't help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Removed mirrors and can now see the fixings, afraid bodgit Bill has been here before, all sorts of gooey mess inside the holes and behind the fixing, guess nearside mirror has had a knock and fixing holes have suffered, no grip at all on two of them, as screws are PK type, not machine screws the fixing inside the body panel has enlarged beyond hope! Is it wood? Any inspiration as to how it can be saved, reckon I still might have to find my way in to body.
P1040135.JPG
P1040135.JPG

Attachments

• P1040134.JPG
    P1040134.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Hi Jim

no wires in my mirrors, they look original, no unused holes, will take one apart later. I know it's a change of subject in this thread but May I ask is your van the same as mine? B574, just been out on our first trip 3 nights, mirror incident, blowout (4 new tyres coming!) plus my front end seems very low and ride is harsh was thinking of new springs? Everything I have read suggests the B series do have loaded/low front ends which if normal I can live with but a smoother ride would be nice roads round where we live are dreadful.P1040137.JPG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim

no wires in my mirrors, they look original, no unused holes, will take one apart later. I know it's a change of subject in this thread but May I ask is your van the same as mine? B574, just been out on our first trip 3 nights, mirror incident, blowout (4 new tyres coming!) plus my front end seems very low and ride is harsh was thinking of new springs? Everything I have read suggests the B series do have loaded/low front ends which if normal I can live with but a smoother ride would be nice roads round where we live are dreadful.View attachment 65253

Hi
Mine is a B644 and the front end is a tad low, but ride isn't harsh.. but was also considering uprating the springs.. last I read on here it costs about £600 ish ..

I think the only way to fix that mirror properly is to get trim off inside and either fit a steel spreader plate and bolt thought it, or use treated timber and coach bolts ..

Feb 29, 2012
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Sorry, wrong link to mirror but if you look further on that site you'll find a non electric one & a part No for a glass alone.
As Jim says a spreader plate on the inside & through set screws should sort it.
We have found our 584 a bit harsh on the front end, it's worth checking the tyre pressures, as the listing says about 80 PSI I think, spoke to Michelin at one time & they talk of nearer the 55 Psi mark.
Worth playing with if you're having tyres changed.
A trip to a weigh bridge followed by a call to the tyre tech department may be of use.
Barrie

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The black gooey mess is sealant it could be there has been a bit of damp in there and rotted the wood see if you can get any small pieces of wood in as extra to take up the slack

Joe

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It will be plywood reinforcement for the A post area. I had this problem on a Tabbert FFB. My solution was to Sikaflex a stainless plate (slightly larger than the mirror mounting onto the outside. I used a similar plate on the inside then reattached the mirror mounting using M5 (or M6 - can't remember) CSK stainless screws with nyloc nuts.

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Can see the way in, will let you know how it goes.

Will follow up the tyre pressure check and hopefully track down the mirror, thanks everyone

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Will follow up the tyre pressure check and hopefully track down the mirror, thanks everyone
Good luck with the repair bhs. (y)

Re the tyre pressures, here's another who found the ride a bit harsh, and reading the book pressures of 5.5 bar in the front tyres, and 4.5 bar in the rear tyres. The tyre manufacturers having been given the maximum axle weights, advised 3.5 bar in the front, and 3.1bar in the rear. The ride all round is so much better now. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I suggest you send an email to Peter Hambilton asking how the mirror mounting plate should be attached to the body. As said earlier, the black/grey gooey mess will be the original non-setting mastic to prevent water ingress.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Re the low front end, what I didn't mention was that drivers side looks lower than nearside which is not what I would have expected, if the nearside had been lower I would not have been surprised. Taken on board everyones advice re mirrors, tyres but will also visit local commercial vehicle workshop just to test the water as regards their knowledge and general helpfulness

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
This looks like the boy Joe, find the ad a bit unsettling, sizes are to outside of plastic housing, no mirror glass shown?

Is the wide view mirror on top of my existing cracked mirror stuck on do you think?

Thankyou

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There is no wide angle mirror but it's like a plastic glass and it is very clear vision with it. It is manually adjustable. I bought a pair and keep one in the garage for when we're touring in case we break another one. If you can get your wide angle one off you may be able to stick it to the new one.

joe

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Cheers Joe, just the fixing now, have mailed Mr Hambilton!

Tyres from blackcircles, springs are in the air!!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The wide angle mirror is stuck-on larger mirror.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is an alternative wide angle solution that I have fitted. I have seen a few Hymers with these - they are branded 'Hercules' and clip on with a bolted 'squeeze' plate.

B_S Mirror.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Here is an alternative wide angle solution that I have fitted. I have seen a few Hymers with these - they are branded 'Hercules' and clip on with a bolted 'squeeze' plate.

View attachment 65357
I bought a pair of those too Philip, but had to resell them, as they were obscured by both "A" posts, on the mirrors we have. (see image below).

BTW, does anyone know where these mirrors can be sourced from please. I've also seen them on a Euromobile, but suspended from the top of the side walls, much like coaches.
Hymer.jpg

Cheers,

Feb 29, 2012
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Are they complete mirrors Jock ? A friends 544 has something that looks very similar but they are covers over the arms.
Have often thought of pendant mirror as the fitted ones do tend to create blind spots as they are low.
Even raising them as far as they will go up the arm only makes it worse.
Barrie

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jock , have a look through here. Broken Link Removed

Right at the end of the is one that looks right but it is shown top hung but might be easy to invert the fixings,

Worth a look anyway.

Martin

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock , have a look through here. Broken Link Removed

Right at the end of the is one that looks right but it is shown top hung but might be easy to invert the fixings,

Worth a look anyway.

Martin
Found it thanks Martin, on page 57 of that link. They are the same mirrors, but can be mounted either way.

Are they complete mirrors Jock ? A friends 544 has something that looks very similar but they are covers over the arms.
Yes they are. And mounting those convexed extensions did me no favours at all, so instead, I bought two of the Truck type spot mirrors, and positioned them in the bottom corners of the existing mirrors. (y)

Cheers,

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

View attachment 65357
Thats exactly the set up Ive got works really well rear and side view are pretty near perfect.
Only issue I have is left side mirror arm is a bit wobbly been threatening to tighten it for 2 years.:)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think they tend to be a bit wobbly but offer the following thought. Is yours a RHD Hymer? If so, the near side will appear more wobbly than the offside owing to the greater distance between you and the mirror which magnifies the vibration. I have the opposite effect where the offside mirror appears to wobble more, but my Hymer is LHD.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Although not the same mirrors as Forestboy and JeanLuc, as a LHD, I did suffer with the same"wobbly" effect on the right hand mirror.
Having removed the casing, and found any adjustment to be at it's maximum, I utilised a plastic wedge to take up any free movement, replaced the casing, and haven't suffered with the same problem since. Job done. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Great help everyone, getting sorted, just the front springs worry to bottom out, until the next interesting occurance of course, just attached a picture of mirror arm nuts, guess these are a product of DAF engineering?
P1040147.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back