Hymer B574 Mirror Fixing

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by bhs, Jun 7, 2015.

1. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

searched posts but can't see any relating to accessing wing mirrors from inside my Hymer, nothing looks obvious, P1040133.JPG before I start taking things to pieces I wonder if anyone has the set procedure to hand? P1040132.JPG

Mirrors are loose on body, looks like some reinforcement is called for.

Drivers side has been whacked and is cracked, hope I can get glass replacement.

2. bjandlin

bjandlin Funster

Hello,
    Think you will find that the bracket base is separate to the mounting on the body. It seems to be slid down on a taper. From what I've read previously a sharp tap !! upwards separates the mirror from the taper. A drop of PLUS GAS or similar might help first. The mounting can then be tightened to the body. probably just the screws loosened.
    Mirror lenses easily available on internet. From memory they're DAF truck ones.
    Barrie.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Thanks Barrie, cup of tea over, will have a close look, the fact that the things have been somewhat crudely painted over doesn't help

4. bjandlin

bjandlin Funster

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

6. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Removed mirrors and can now see the fixings, afraid bodgit Bill has been here before, all sorts of gooey mess inside the holes and behind the fixing, guess nearside mirror has had a knock and fixing holes have suffered, no grip at all on two of them, as screws are PK type, not machine screws the fixing inside the body panel has enlarged beyond hope! Is it wood? Any inspiration as to how it can be saved, reckon I still might have to find my way in to body. P1040135.JPG P1040135.JPG

Attached Files:

7. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Hi Jim

no wires in my mirrors, they look original, no unused holes, will take one apart later. I know it's a change of subject in this thread but May I ask is your van the same as mine? B574, just been out on our first trip 3 nights, mirror incident, blowout (4 new tyres coming!) plus my front end seems very low and ride is harsh was thinking of new springs? Everything I have read suggests the B series do have loaded/low front ends which if normal I can live with but a smoother ride would be nice roads round where we live are dreadful. P1040137.JPG

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi
    Mine is a B644 and the front end is a tad low, but ride isn't harsh.. but was also considering uprating the springs.. last I read on here it costs about £600 ish ..

I think the only way to fix that mirror properly is to get trim off inside and either fit a steel spreader plate and bolt thought it, or use treated timber and coach bolts ..

9. bjandlin

bjandlin Funster

Sorry, wrong link to mirror but if you look further on that site you'll find a non electric one & a part No for a glass alone.
    As Jim says a spreader plate on the inside & through set screws should sort it.
    We have found our 584 a bit harsh on the front end, it's worth checking the tyre pressures, as the listing says about 80 PSI I think, spoke to Michelin at one time & they talk of nearer the 55 Psi mark.
    Worth playing with if you're having tyres changed.
    A trip to a weigh bridge followed by a call to the tyre tech department may be of use.
    Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  10. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

The black gooey mess is sealant it could be there has been a bit of damp in there and rotted the wood see if you can get any small pieces of wood in as extra to take up the slack

Joe

11. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

It will be plywood reinforcement for the A post area. I had this problem on a Tabbert FFB. My solution was to Sikaflex a stainless plate (slightly larger than the mirror mounting onto the outside. I used a similar plate on the inside then reattached the mirror mounting using M5 (or M6 - can't remember) CSK stainless screws with nyloc nuts.

12. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Can see the way in, will let you know how it goes.

Will follow up the tyre pressure check and hopefully track down the mirror, thanks everyone

13. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Good luck with the repair bhs. (y)

Re the tyre pressures, here's another who found the ride a bit harsh, and reading the book pressures of 5.5 bar in the front tyres, and 4.5 bar in the rear tyres. The tyre manufacturers having been given the maximum axle weights, advised 3.5 bar in the front, and 3.1bar in the rear. The ride all round is so much better now. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

14. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I suggest you send an email to Peter Hambilton asking how the mirror mounting plate should be attached to the body. As said earlier, the black/grey gooey mess will be the original non-setting mastic to prevent water ingress.
    http://www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/contact.html

15. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Re the low front end, what I didn't mention was that drivers side looks lower than nearside which is not what I would have expected, if the nearside had been lower I would not have been surprised. Taken on board everyones advice re mirrors, tyres but will also visit local commercial vehicle workshop just to test the water as regards their knowledge and general helpfulness

16. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

17. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

This looks like the boy Joe, find the ad a bit unsettling, sizes are to outside of plastic housing, no mirror glass shown?

Is the wide view mirror on top of my existing cracked mirror stuck on do you think?

Thankyou

18. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

There is no wide angle mirror but it's like a plastic glass and it is very clear vision with it. It is manually adjustable. I bought a pair and keep one in the garage for when we're touring in case we break another one. If you can get your wide angle one off you may be able to stick it to the new one.

joe

19. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Cheers Joe, just the fixing now, have mailed Mr Hambilton!

Tyres from blackcircles, springs are in the air!!

20. Manic

Manic Funster

The wide angle mirror is stuck-on larger mirror.