Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On the last day of our week long maiden voyage, I took a much needed shower. The valve seemed to require more hot than usual and the temp was far from stable. I was alerted by cries of dismay from my wife and on responding (with rather more haste than is usual) I was informed that a puddle of warm water had formed in the dinette footwell area.
I was soon reminded of noting a lag in water reaching the cassette toilet rinse despite the pump obviously trying to do its bit.
There was a fair bit of water under both sides of the van which indicated that at least it had found some way out. At least I hope it has found its way out!

On returning home, I stripped back a couple of areas to try and find the leak. The inlet hoses to the shower seem fine as does the shower tray trap. Any experiences from others as to where the leak might be found?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Some years ago I had a similar problem. It was caused by the pipes freezing and pushing apart the tee connector in the corner of the shower room next to the dinette area. The connector was pushed apart but it wasn't until I turned on the shower that the pipes actually separated and the water flooded out.

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
I would look at where the hose from the pump comes out of the tank as the pump is submerged inside the tank start there and open a tap and trace pipe also look at the hose fitted on to gas boiler etc .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I guessed it might be a tee/elbow joint at the base of the shower. In that case I have a tank to empty and remove?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had similar with our previous van it was the shower tray sealant I would look everywhere before starting a big job as sods law dictates it will be somewhere else!! ours could be looked at under the tray from the cupboard behind (there was a vent cover to remove it was a chausson) then when we ran the shower and could look under the tray and confirm it was not a loose pipe. If there is a loose pipe connection I would expect the pump to run due to the loss of pressure in the pipe if you have a pressurised system.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
On my van there was a well-camouflaged access panel, about 100mm square, secured by 4 small screws, to access the tee joint. look along the route you expect a shower pipe to take from the tank to the shower, or from the boiler to the shower.

The leak could have been there some time, but if you only turn on the tap/ flush the loo for a few seconds, the water volume may not have been big enough to cause a puddle. (if it's a switch system not a pressurised system)

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It appears to be a switched system and this leak was very quickly apparent but has stopped since i shut the shower off. The main tank is just over three quarter full. The flood water was very warm so the leak is between the boiler and the shower. As I said earlier, the shower wasn't behaving as normal and I was using more 'hot'at the lever to get a usual temperature.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Presumably there is no leak when other hot water is being used ? Don't know how a leak between the boiler and shower tap would affect the flush on the loo!!!!

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Funny, I was just considering whether that was the case and I cannot honestly remember trying.

Presumably, if water is allowed to leak out of a closed system then that system wouldn't be fully primed. I don't know if there are any non return valves in my van. I suspect they wouldn't be needed other than maybe just after the main pump.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm no expert!!!! I would get to the pipes near the pump get your wife to watch and see what happens when you turn on stuff I would start nrearest and lowest and see when and where it starts to leak I would try and get access to look under the shower tray before starting to even think about getting any of it out!!!. If your pump is outside the tank I would watch it carefully when running I wonder if you noticed the leak because you ran the system for the longest when using the shower rather than thats where the leak is!!

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
No, we noticed the leak when my wife stepped in a puddle and then had to sponge the water at a rapid rate. The amount of water under the van was also quite apparent and it was still dripping fast some time after. The ply floor has no visible damp damage and now I have stripped out the affected area, it has dried really quickly.
Whatever happened, happened quickly. A joint or something has seriously let go. I heavily suspect it is at the bottom of the shower wall but to get to that I am going to have to get the tank out. It doesn't look difficult but I am not sure I have a choice anyway. It would be nice to know exactly how the pipework runs and where the joints are on the hot side but if no one else has come across it then I suppose I am the Guinea pig.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Turn on the pump by opening a tap just enough to do so without water flowing. The pump will pressurise the system making any leakage pretty obvious.

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Already did that Tony....when I had a shower. What isn't obvious is exactly where the leak is. The pipe run is buried under shower tray, main tank, bathroom units etc.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There will be a non-return valve in or near the pump. Probably a Reich tandem submersible pump with an integrated valve.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unlikely to be a hose connector pushed apart as Hymer use flexible hose with ferral clamped connectors. I would check all the boiler connections and worse case could be a split hose.

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hopefully am about to find out in the next hour or so!

Currently removing the shower wall.

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well that was fun. Found no trace of leak anywhere. Stuck it all back together and tried the hot water system. Pressure seems much higher than before from all three hot outlets.

Went off in van later that day and promptly deposited a reasonable amount of water on road from opposite side of van from bathroom. Boiler is on that side but no trace of water in the van. Any ideas?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Vent valve on the boiler, there is a T piece at the top of the boiler, one side feeds the hot water the other has a pipe that goes out under the van to allow air to escape when filling the boiler. There is a valve in the T piece that sticks, new valve about £7 tempory fix it to clamp the drain pipe.

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sounds a good place to start. Any way of testing it without replacement?

Could that have found its way into the van for my original leak?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sounds a good place to start. Any way of testing it without replacement?

Could that have found its way into the van for my original leak?
Take it off and try blowing into it I think it should work like a one way valve, not sure. Shouldn't get any water in the van if it's faulty normally just flows out the underside. Possible it jammed up completely forcing water out of the joints but I wouldn't have thought the Riech pump would not have enough pressure for that to happen.

Worth replacing the valve as they are a common fault, I think this is the one you need.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Is the water heater dump valve opening ? If it is then maybe low battery voltage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back