Oct 25, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
new
Hi everyone
So, just upgraded to full membership as am impressed with the forum and it's possibilities.
I am the very proud owner of a Hymer B544 circa 1989 with 60,000 miles totally re upholstered and runs sweeeet.
I am going to post a couple of pics soon.
Dropped all the water out for winter and waiting for cover to arrive. Big bonus is I had wanted to fit 2 lap belts but didn't seem viable then under the forward facing seats. .......4 threaded holes with bolts in a very strong floor mounted subframe Yeah!! Now preparing for World Motocross Italy, roll on 2017.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Welcome Jamie! Make sure you opened the dump valve on the heating system - assuming that yours has a dump valve - and that you've run all the taps (both hot and cold) until no more water comes out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Click thread tools above and to the right of the first post and you can edit it (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jamie 3862

Jamie 3862

Free Member
Oct 25, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
new
yes I hope I have dropped all water. Opened all taps/shower and in the cupboard under the sink found a clear plastic threaded stopper and red plastic/metal tap, I opened these and a fair amount of water was released from underneath.
Had a look around the boiler but couldn't find a tap and outside no dump hose in location of boiler.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you're DIY adding seat belts you do know that you have to jump through whatever hoops the DVLA demand to update the V5 to reflect the new ones don't you?

If you just fit them and hope for the best then your insurance won't be valid if anything happens.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jamie 3862

Jamie 3862

Free Member
Oct 25, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
new
Oh, I thought that if the vehicle was of a certain vintage that you didn't need to?
I have found a Motorhome servicing garage who offer fitting and fabrication where necessary, and they said same.
Not doubting your info but can you point me to the DVLA info as I would like to know before proceeding.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Oh, I thought that if the vehicle was of a certain vintage that you didn't need to?
I have found a Motorhome servicing garage who offer fitting and fabrication where necessary, and they said same.
Not doubting your info but can you point me to the DVLA info as I would like to know before proceeding.
Thanks.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...9/changes-to-seatbelt-installations-guide.pdf

For DVLA purposes you basically need the work signed off by an MOT tester.

For insurance purposes you need to talk to you insurance company because they will all have their own different criteria. After an accident is not the ideal time to find out that you haven't met them (y)

Its up to you of course but I wouldn't take any garages word for it, especially if they think they're getting some work out of it. I would speak to both the DVLA directly and my insurance company and find out exactly what they required.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jamie 3862

Jamie 3862

Free Member
Oct 25, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
new
Thanks Nick,
Sorry but isn't that doc. for New vehicles? "A motorhome manufactured after 01/10/1988 must have seat belts fitted for the driver and any forward facing passengers. Three point belts are required for the driver and the specified passenger – other front seat belts may be two point – providing that this passenger’s head could not strike the windscreen in the event of the vehicle being involved in a collision. Optional seat belts fitted to the rear can be either three or two point secured belts and again should be fitted to the structure of the motorhome".
I copy/pasted from Tim Booth.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks Nick,
Sorry but isn't that doc. for New vehicles? "A motorhome manufactured after 01/10/1988 must have seat belts fitted for the driver and any forward facing passengers. Three point belts are required for the driver and the specified passenger – other front seat belts may be two point – providing that this passenger’s head could not strike the windscreen in the event of the vehicle being involved in a collision. Optional seat belts fitted to the rear can be either three or two point secured belts and again should be fitted to the structure of the motorhome".
I copy/pasted from Tim Booth.

Like I said, do what you want, listen to whoever you want. I'm sure someone will tell you what you want to hear eventually.

At the end of the day the only people who matter are the DVLA and your insurers. Neither of those will be impressed by "someone on an internet forum" or "the garage that installed it" told me it would be OK.

My advice is still to speak to them both. If you don't want to do that then carry on and do whatever makes you happy. I'm done with this thread.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jamie 3862

Jamie 3862

Free Member
Oct 25, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
new
Okay..................Tim Booth is the Police Leisure Vehicle Spokesperson:whistle: Just looking for clarity!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back