Hymer B544 - Wipers problem

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by Valkman, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Valkman

Valkman

l seem to have an intermittent problem with the wipers on my 2012 Hymer B544. When using the wipers ( Makes no difference which speed setting or occasional setting they are in), they will suddenly stop mid screen and will not move no matter what I do to the settings on the Wiper operating stalk. The only way to overcome the situation is to stop. Turn the engine off. Park the wipers in the 'Off' position according to the wiper stalk. Then upon restarting the engine, the wipers park themselves. If I then turn the wipers on they seem to work fine for ages days even and then suddenly, usually when it's absolutely pi...ng down, will suddenly stop in the vertical position. I contacted Travelworld and one of their technicians said he believes it to be the wiper motor that needs replacing. After just 3 yrs occasional use ...really? Fitted cost will be £350! Before I get involved in that sort of expense I thought I'd seek advice on here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
    Best wishes to all....

road,

2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Try the supply fuse for the wipers. Is it damaged or dirty? Sounds like it might be a resistance problem, as the weight of water on the screen adds to the load. Then you re-start the engine, the added whumph from the alternator sets them going again.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Talk to Premier they have a good reputation for getting out of warrenty replacements...worth a go

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

as @Tootles said.. or a bad / dirty earth connection at the motor..

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I'd also be tempted to check any connections as with the fuse suggestion, a pray with contact cleaner and bit of the wonder WD40, as said a bit of crud or oxidation on contacts causes poor contact and raises resistance. Worth a check before getting the wallet out.
    If you can get hold of a schematic wiring diagram it will provide locations of block connectors etc. May be in handbook or available on web.
    May also be worth checking the fixtures of the wiper arms and mechanism for tightness, a loose spigot nut or the like could cause intermittent action possibly. I would certainly check all these things out as just as you say, you wouldn't expect the motor to fail after just 3 years, but, any things possible I suppose. Hope you manage to sort it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Usually, the 'park' contacts tend to wear out after many years of use, so that they don't 'self park', but not seen that since the age of the Morris Marina! It really does sound like an intermittent supply for some reason, and not the motor itself.

7. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

I had the same problem with our 2012 Hymer, when it was only 18 months old, I called Fiat camper assist, the control box was then blown by in idiot from a well known motoring organisation, the control box is a Hymer part added to the Fiat Loom so, not covered by the Fiat warranty. I ordered a new control box from Hymer and then decided to investigate the fault myself. To check if the cure for your fault is the same as mine, connect a jump lead from the chassis to the wiper motor. The fault being a bad earth somewhere in the steering column I believe. The cure is to run a new earth lead from the spare earth stud on the front subframe to the wiper motor. As a bonus, this also improved the cruise control which was occasionally reluctant to engage. If this doesn't cure the fault, despite advice not to, I found stripping cleaning and re assembling the wiper motor very simple.

Regards

Bob

• Like Like x 4
  8. Valkman

Valkman

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will definitely be trying them out. I'm clearly no expert but replacement of the wiper motor will certainly be a last resort rather than first response. I tried to get a wiring diagram out of Hymer. They basically said ..No. We don't want you interfering with our wiring. Take it to one of our dealers. ....

9. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

The wiring is mostly fiat, the fiat loom is connected to a Hymer control box upper left hand side of the engine bay, the wiring from here goes across the top direct to the wiper motor. Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine where so, I would start by adding an earth.

• Like Like x 3
  10. airwave

airwave Funster

Another area , maybe worthy of investigation , would be the wiper relay .

I got to be honest , i'm staggered that people are talking of faulty earth's on a 3 year old motor , and as for the wiper motor ??? . Your right to question that is at fault , i would too .
    An earth issue is at least a possible , though to me unlikely , yet that said , Bob appear's to have had just that . However , you guy's have the vehicle's , and know their weak area's , as yet i don't .

Just one area of thought though , from Bob's description , it sound's like the Hymer control box is one side of the engine bay , and the wiper motor is the other . Don't Fiat has a water ingress issue , in the engine bay , something to do with windscreen drain's , sorry but like i said , i'm working blind .

11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes they did in the x250 ..

but the OP is about a Hymer B544 .. an A class.. no water ingress

13. airwave

airwave Funster

Oh wow , that's brilliant , thank's for that Andy . So this must be a common problem then , it's really handy knowing how to deal with it . I'm looking seriously at the 5 series Hymer's now , i've already identified a couple of issue's , but as yet nothing serious has shown up . All this information is really handy . What's the outcome with the relay , is there one for the wiper's ? .

• Like Like x 1
  14. airwave

airwave Funster

Ah , noted , sorry ,

It just suddenly struck me that could cause corrosion , of the terminal's . Now that's handy , no water ingress . Excellent , one less issue , i found on my list .

Thank's for the correction , Jim .

15. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

The fault with the same symptoms that I linked to is nothing to do with water ingress. The fact that Dave's van is X250 based is irrelevant as his van is A class. X250 does not mean it is automatically a coach built

16. airwave

airwave Funster

Scot jimland pointed that out too Andy . Actually i was refering to Valkman's issue , i assumed that Hymer , had used the firewall and inner wing's from Fiat , on the A class , and i connected it from there . I figured the windscreen drain's would have been used , and so the water issue would have transfered onto the coachbuilt's as well . My mistake and to be honest , quite pleased too , as this was one of the issue's i had found . I could tell water had played no part , with Dave's problem from the photo's that you had posted , it's pretty well protected .

17. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Mine has gone wonky too on a new B544. First of all the intermittent bits but now stopped completely, fuse ok etc.
    Have contacted dealer who have been in touch with Hymer who say it needs an uprated motor .
    What a pain , cant use moho without wipers, wonder how long the wait :crying:

18. Valkman

Valkman

Larry,
    I took mine to an auto electrician who said there was an inherent weakness in the way that the internal earth on the wiper motor is designed. He rewired the earth and added an external earth to the motor as well and it has worked perfectly since. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Its a fault that Hymer are aware of and are sending an uprated motor . Bit of a pain as it looks like this problem has existed for some time and should have been resolved by now.
    Glad yours is sorted (y)