Free Member
Mar 19, 2014
South West
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Hi All
Any opinions or guidance on this would be much appreciated. I have tried to look for previous discussion on this here and elsewhere. I am a newbie, wanting to buy a motorhome. I have a missus and two young kids. I did have the idea until recently of a (small) campervan, but decided that despite the day to day usability, they are, for me, too much of a compromise in terms of actually sleeping and inhabiting them.

We want something we can use the whole year round, for day trips, as well as holidays, weekends away, festivals, and who knows, maybe even skiing in the winter (as I’ve read some people are actually able to do in a motorhome (news to me!)) etc. We are thinking of a safari room, but we want a vehicle that is big enough for the 4 of us in itself, for winter. We also want convenient (“equal”) fully strapped seats for the kids as well as the two of us.

Because we want something well insulated and winterised I’ve been looking mainly at Hymers (as well as Adria, Eura Mobil, Frankia, Dethleffs and Bessacar).

Any suggestions based on our situation would be most welcome, but I am mainly thinking about either a Hymer b 544, or a Hymer Camp C544. With the B range (A class) I like the pull down bed, and what I expect will be a nicer overall quality and feel to the vehicle, but the Camp looks like the more sensible and better priced option in many cases. We’re looking at spending up to say £17k privately or maybe up to mid twenties though a dealer with dealer finance.

Any comments appreciated, especially around this key question of how a Hymer Camp 5-6 birth compares to a Hymer B class…

Thanks
Paul

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I would say forget the A class for family use.
Kids love overcab beds, they can have their own little world up there without interfering with your lounge and dining arrangments!
This is just not possible with the pull down bed of an A class.

Good luck with your search for the right van, but buy wisely if you plan to hit the Alps in winter!:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PaulieOfArrod

Free Member
Mar 19, 2014
South West
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks for that. But why forget the A Class? When it's parked up, they can still have their overcab bed via the pull down thing, surely?

What we imagine / hope for is a situation where they sleep say over the cab, and we sleep out in the safari room, for a bit of distance and separation..or in a fixed bed at the rear perhaps... we're a bit nervous about trying to sleep with them so close to us etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You won't be sleeping in a safari room at minus 25!::bigsmile:

An overcab is a real space multiplier. The kids stuff just stays up there. In an A class, the drop down bed needs making and kid debris removing before you can stow it away! Therefore you need more storage elsewhere!

You sound like you like the idea of a rear fixed bed. We have a rear fixed bed over a garage, an ensuite bathroom and 6 berths all within 7.07 metres.

Have a look at the Chausson range. They make excellent family vans, many with liberating diesel heating. Many are based on a Transit chassis making for economical servicing and parts.

Don't forget kids can have bunks and you can use the overcab!

Heres an example-

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I don't know the layout of these vans my advice would be go for the one that suits you better during the day as it sometimes rains in this country and you could be indoors for a few hours with two kids. Being a Hymer both will have good build quality.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
now m of the opposite opinion, the A class gives you much more space, and is probably better built than the camp which was a cheaper end of the range. As you say the kids still have the drop down bed. Just make sure there are sufficient belted seats for your needs.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Having owned both the Swing and 544, but with no kids, I prefer the 544.
At 5' 10" tall I found the Swing driving position 'cramped' when driving any long distance, whereas I can drive the 544 non-stop all day with no problems.
There is also more room in the 544 when parked because of the revolving front seats.
Getting to the spare wheel under the Swing can be awkward as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PaulieOfArrod

Free Member
Mar 19, 2014
South West
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks for replies everyone. I think i am going to check them both out, possibly starting with the B544 today. With the Chausson's, how do they rate in terms of build quality, and insulation, are they fully "winterised" like Hymers are supposed to be??

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Hymers you have on your shortlist are not fully winterised.
They have an underslung waste tank. Chaussons also have an underslung waste tank.
This is not a problem if you simply drain into a bucket. If you are on EHU you could add a tank heating element to avoid freezing.
We dont use EHU when skiing so a bucket it is!

A fully wimterised van has double floors with all the water tanks contained within.
Some vans, such as Rapido use an underslung waste tank but use blown air around a shroud to keep it frost free.
It is an upcoming project for ours! I reckon shrouding the waste tank and adding a blown air supply shouldnt be too difficult!:Smile:

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The Hymers you have on your shortlist are not fully winterised.
They have an underslung waste tank.
A fully wimterised van has double floors with all the water tanks contained within.
Some vans, such as Rapido use an underslung waste tank but use blown air around a shroud to keep it frost free.

The waste tank IS fully winterised. On a B-class (and I think the Swing/Camp) the tank is surrounded by an insulated jacket that also has an air-gap into which the Truma warm air is blown. The warm air feed goes into a housing around the waste dump valve and then into the tank jacket. A single-floored Hymer is fully winterised - mine is although it might struggle if used for skiing at -20ºC as would many 'winterised' vans. We have used ours down to -10ºC without any problems and the waste water, when emptied later, has come out steaming. Also, don't forget that a van with an Al-Ko double floor only has a double floor at the back. The front driving area is still on the original Fiat/Sevel chassis.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Hymer have you looked at the 534 with rear lounge. I have taken kids with drop down bed skiing, no probs re insulation, however i did add an oven for family roast to cook.
very best wishes on your search.:thumb:eek:

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Hymer

Also take a look at the Rapido 9048DF. Washroom better, no swinging door arrangement and you don't have to walk through a wet floor to reach the toilet and larger underfloor storage. 150bhp engine option if you can find one.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back