LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, got some friends from the UK visiting us in Spain next week, they have asked me the following question which I am unable to answer.

Hymer B544 LHD but now used in UK, headlights are UK Spec. and satisify MOT standards, is it required to fit converters to drive on right here in Spain and how do you do it with those little round Hymer type lights.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If the headlamps have been rotated in their mountings for LH driving (UK) your friends will need to fit beam benders to be compliant with French and Spanish regulations. (I am assuming we are talking about Hymer B-class from around the end of the 90s until 2005 with twin headlight units - see picture below).
As the dipped unit is of the projector type, they must use the semi transparent 'Eurolites' beam benders not solid tape, or worse, silver-backed masks as this will cause over-heating.
The Eurolites package contains fitting instructions, but in case of doubt, use the circular piece and locate it as shown in the other picture below.

p.s. The dipping headlight unit is the outer one of each pair

Attachments

• _DSC1989_2.jpg
    _DSC1989_2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Hymer HL converter.jpg
    Hymer HL converter.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
If the headlamps have been rotated in their mountings for LH driving (UK) your friends will need to fit beam benders to be compliant with French and Spanish regulations. (I am assuming we are talking about Hymer B-class from around the end of the 90s until 2005 with twin headlight units - see picture below).
As the dipped unit is of the projector type, they must use the semi transparent 'Eurolites' beam benders not solid tape, or worse, silver-backed masks as this will cause over-heating.
The Eurolites package contains fitting instructions, but in case of doubt, use the circular piece and locate it as shown in the other picture below.

p.s. The dipping headlight unit is the outer one of each pair

All the beambenders I have looked at for my 2004 Hymer have been larger than the headlight itself.
Although I have never attempted it, three screws, behind each light assembly, if loosened, allow the assembly to be rotated for either UK or Continental driving? So I am informed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
All the beambenders I have looked at for my 2004 Hymer have been larger than the headlight itself.
Although I have never attempted it, three screws, behind each light assembly, if loosened, allow the assembly to be rotated for either UK or Continental driving? So I am informed.

It's true that the Eurolite circular section is a bit large: I allow it to overlap the edge of the glass slightly at the top right. Alternatively, you could cut a bit off the mask with scissors.

Regarding the 'screw loosening and swivelling' option: I have tried to do this on several occasions and given up each time - it's an absolute b**tard to get in there and see what you are doing. I have even tried taking photos and I have had the front bumper/skirt off in order to get better access. I think at least one of the screws is located behind the beam levelling device. A couple of months ago I was with Peter Hambilton having some work done and I asked him about the conversion he does to fit larger screws enabling the headlights to be loosened more easily. He said 'more easily' was a relative term and that even then, it was not a simple job without undergoing significant contortion.
I'm sticking to Eurloite beam benders (which I save and re-use several times - fixing them with small strips of clear waterproof sellotape if required).

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back