LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the hole in the roof needs a patch of aluminium bonded over it using sikaflex. filling such holes is possible but the heat in summer andcold in winter will make the filler expand and contract at a different rate to the aluminium around it so will eventually crack,

the aluminium corrosion is a well known problem caused by osmosis. the only solution is to clean the area back well and fill all the pin prick holes. then use aluminium etch primer to seal it and then top coat to match in. Paint can be matched at many motor accessory shops. take in a correct coloured part and they use a meter to read the colour then make up rattle cans of matching paint

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I will be fitting a solar panel merely to keep the leisure batteries charged. If anyone has some advice about that, I would be grateful to have it. Thanks.

If you install the LR1218 Schaudt regulator it will also charge the engine battery, so no need for a Battery Master..
The solar charge current will also displayed in the Hymer panel above the door.

It is a 'plug and play' controller, comes with easy to follow instructions, all connectors and tails to connect direct to the EBL.

When I bought my Hymer, the previous owner had fitted a Battery master and a cheap charge controller.. it was a real mess .. needless to say I have removed both and fitted the LR1218

If you need any advice about the install please ask.. First photo shows the EBL wiring mess with Battery master .. 2nd, old charge controller which I removed, 3rd LR1218 installed..

IMG_0324.jpg IMG_0405.jpg IMG_0411.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
If you install the LR1218 Schaudt regulator it will also charge the engine battery, so no need for a Battery Master..
The solar charge current will also displayed in the Hymer panel above the door.

It is a 'plug and play' controller, comes with easy to follow instructions, all connectors and tails to connect direct to the EBL.

When I bought my Hymer, the previous owner had fitted a Battery master and a cheap charge controller.. it was a real mess .. needless to say I have removed both and fitted the LR1218

If you need any advice about the install please ask.. First photo shows the EBL wiring mess with Battery master .. 2nd, old charge controller which I removed, 3rd LR1218 installed..

View attachment 153792 View attachment 153793 View attachment 153794

Yes, I decided to research it and decided that the LR1218 would do a neater job. Besides, the cost of a cheaper solar controller plus a Battery Master would be close to the price of the LR1218. I have it in the box in the van and now I have got the electrical issues sorted with a repaired EBL99 (yay!) I can install it. I will do this tomorrow in readiness for the solar panel arriving with the entry gland and additional cable.

Apart from installing the repaired EBL and the control panel today, I fitted the carbon monoxide alarm and the TV bracket and had a good old fiddle with the blinds. One of the roof blinds is probably beyond redemption but this will have to wait until after the holiday. I also noticed that the winding mechanism/brackets on the main roof vent are quite corroded. This has been added to the "to do"list. Well, I wanted a little project (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Had 4 new tyres fitted today and the tracking sorted. As I was parking it back in our courtyard a new problem was brought to my attention by the driver of the car waiting in the road behind; no reversing lights! I checked the bulbs which were, of course, fine. It would appear that I have the failed reverse switch on the gearbox issue.. Another job to add to the list to be addressed before we leave on 6th April. I considered just booking it into the garage for a new switch to be fitted as it appears to be a time consuming fiddly job to get to it, but my basic sense of meanness kicked in and I found my self ordering a new switch from ebay this evening. As soon as it arrives the cursing and muttering from the depths of the engine compartment will begin. Habitation service is scheduled for tomorrow. I am wondering what new horrors will be revealed :(

tojo

Free Member
Apr 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
is it just a case of siting the battery under the passenger seat and simply connecting the existing battery .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
is it just a case of siting the battery under the passenger seat and simply connecting the existing battery .
Dont forget to add a fuse

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back