Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
I bought, pretty much on impulse, a B544 yesterday. It is a year 2000 with only 38000 miles on it's 2.8 engine. I love the opportunity to tinker and refurbish and, although it is in generally good condition there are some minor blemishes to attend to. The chassis has recently benefited from a service and has been given a coat of underseal and my initial inspection of it revealed that it appears to be solid. However, around the water fill cap there is the appearance of some bubbling corrosion and I want to sort this fairly quickly. I was under the impression that the body panels were aluminum. Is that correct? If so, what would be recommended for dealing with the corrosion? I understand that the paint codes from Hymer are not easily available and I was intending to spray the small area that requires attention myself. Is a good paint match available?

Other small things like corrosion on the rear view mirror supports are more easily corrected. I am a dab hand with the satin black! Really looking forward to getting to work on the Hymer and now very enthusiastic about our forthcoming trip to Scotland. I will be fitting a solar panel merely to keep the leisure batteries charged. If anyone has some advice about that, I would be grateful to have it. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think the paint codes are quite difficult to obtain, you might just be better going into Halfords and matching up one of the standard white shades.
Not sure about treating the aluminium corrosion, I have some on the cab window frames. Not very noticable so I`ve ignored it so far.
Good luck with your little project, you won`t go far wrong with a 544 !
I`m sure other will be along soon with more useful advice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I will be fitting a solar panel merely to keep the leisure batteries charged. If anyone has some advice about that, I would be grateful to have it. Thanks.

It's all in here by the shedload, just do a bit of searching ( top right above your avatar ).

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
It's all in here by the shedload, just do a bit of searching ( top right above your avatar ).
Yes, quite right, I have been searching since posting.. I have fitted one to my camper van already and as long as I restrict the connection to topping up my leisure batteries, it appears to be the same job.
BTW, my new purchase is a BC544, which has given me a bit of confusion this evening, as I was not aware that the model existed... it is a learning curve. Not sure why Hymer made a the B544 and the BC544.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I did a local repair on the side of mine to correct a minor problem, like you I couldn't find a code for the white, so being a painter I was able to try a few different whites from different manufacturers by dabbing on a spot of each with a small artists brush. I seem to recall Renault 369 did the job, but my memory is not what it was so I may be mistaken, you could see if your local Halfords would let you do the same with a few touch up sticks.
Whites to consider
Ford frozen white
Peugeot code ewe
Renault code 369/389
Fiat code 249

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have fitted one to my camper van already and as long as I restrict the connection to topping up my leisure batteries.

It's a good idea to also fit a Battery Master or similar off ebay to keep the starter battery topped up. Certainly if parked up for weeks this will help the starter battery.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The difference between the BC544 and the B544 is that the BC is the cheaper model.

The BC has a single floor and sloping roof at the front.

The B has a double floor and full height integral roof.

We had a 2002 BC544 for 10 years, excellent vehicle. Just keep an eye on the front sloping roof where it can collect water and lead to potential internal damp problems. You may wish to consider rebeading the join between the walls and roof in this area.

We only sold it because we needed more payload to carry a scooter. Our BC544 was rated at 3400Kg whereas the B544 is 3500Kg. We could have uprated to 3700Kg with assisted air suspension on the back axle.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The other thing to consider when trying to match paint is that after 17 years the shade of white will probably be different now than when new due to fading UV and environmental damage etc.
I`d just go and get the best visible match you can.
In the detailing section there is some great advice from @Charlie on renovating and protecting paintwork

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
The difference between the BC544 and the B544 is that the BC is the cheaper model.

The BC has a single floor and sloping roof at the front.

The B has a double floor and full height integral roof.

We had a 2002 BC544 for 10 years, excellent vehicle. Just keep an eye on the front sloping roof where it can collect water and lead to potential internal damp problems. You may wish to consider rebeading the join between the walls and roof in this area.

We only sold it because we needed more payload to carry a scooter. Our BC544 was rated at 3400Kg whereas the B544 is 3500Kg. We could have uprated to 3700Kg with assisted air suspension on the back axle.

I guessed that would be the case after comparing the two models. I think I have bought it relatively cheaply which would reflect the differing value. It is still a very serviceable MH. I will look at the rebeading issue as I am thinking this is not a job I would do myself - needs some more research.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I will be fitting a solar panel merely to keep the leisure batteries charged. If anyone has some advice about that, I would be grateful to have it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Regarding solar, it depends on what charger unit you have, if it's a schaudt elb, if so you could fit
Schaudt LR1218 solar controller for £61.20

As posted yesterday

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
I will be fitting a solar panel merely to keep the leisure batteries charged. If anyone has some advice about that, I would be grateful to have it. Thanks.

Regarding solar, it depends on what charger unit you have, if it's a schaudt elb, if so you could fit
Schaudt LR1218 solar controller for £61.20

As posted yesterday[/QUOTE]
I picked the MH up this afternoon and will take a good look at this tomorrow. Ideally, I would like the solar panel installed before going away on 6th April, so I need to move quickly on it. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the installation?

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
I am getting there. I am waiting for the EBL to return from Apuljack Engineering. The Schaudt LR1218 is still in its box in the camper, also awaiting the arrival of the EBL and solar panel. The habitation power issues have delayed the habitation service so I have been busying myself with addressing a few cosmetic issues around the bodywork and generally cleaning and sprucing up. I have lightly T-Cut the exterior panels and polished them. It looks a lot better for it. The upholstery has been removed, hand-washed and replaced. The water was dark brown each time and I doubt whether they have been cleaned before. They also looks much better. I bought a 12/240v TV which did not, of course fit into the TV cabinet so a locking bracket is also en route. I have noticed that the wardrobe panels are quite thin and, although the TV is quite light I am going to strengthen the panel with a piece of ply wood where the bracket will be attached. I also need to install a 12v socket in that area; another thing on its way. The solar panel is on order and I am currently wondering whether to install it before the April trip. If we have a spell of decent weather I probably will. I discovered that the tyres that looked OK on first inspection, show signs of perishing and the date code shows they date from 2006. All four are being replaced with Continental Vancos next week. Still lots to do!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
You may find you already have a 12v socket in the TV cabinet. You will need to purchase a Din type plug to go into the socket. Some cigarette type plugs are dual purpose and can used as a Din plug by removing the top section.

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Thanks for that. I checked the TV cabinet again after reading your post and behind the 240v socket in the top corner was the 12v outlet. A happy discovery which will save me a job. EBL not back until next week, which is a slightly frustrating delay.

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
The EBL is now on its way back from Apuljack. It will be good to get a functioning electrical system in the MH. I can now think about installing the solar controller (Schaudt LR1218) and solar panel. I took a look at the roof this afternoon, during an all-to-brief rain interlude in order to measure the space available. I subsequently ordered a 140v semi-flexible panel from Photonic Universe. However, whilst on the roof I noticed an inch long puncture of the aluminium sloping front panel which appears, at some time, to have been patched with tape. It does not look like a new injury and I was annoyed to find it. There is no evidence of water ingress inside but I can't see how water has not been making its way in. I have enough other jobs to be getting on with so I made a temporary repair with Weathermate seal. It will be watertight, at least.

I have one 110ah leisure battery which will be OK for my April trip but I would like to know if anyone has fitted a second battery and if so, where they sited it on their B544, or similar.

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
My van is also a "left hooker" but the first battery sits in a low compartment to the right of the passenger seat. There is not room in there for another. I will have a look at the space under the seat.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Mines RHD and I have a battery under each seat.
Was the puncture damage to the aluminium roof or the moulded GRP front section ?
Should be straight forward to get a permanent repair

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Figaro,

Puncture is to the aluminium roof. It can wait a little while. I am not sure how to tackle a permanent repair, are you?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
No not really, sorry. But Eternabond sealing strip from USA (for sale on eBay) is recommended for RV roof sealing and repairs. I think it's meant to be permanent or semi permanent but if it's a smallish hole I'm sure there will be better solutions if you research it.

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year

I have not managed to fire up the heater or check any of the habitation services yet, mainly due to my preoccupation with getting some electrical current into the MH. I am hoping this can be resolved in the next day or so when the EBL and control panel returns. It has rained ALL day today but I had a quick look at the temporary roof repair, which appears fine. I had expected to find the battery under the seat and spent a good few frustrating minutes trying to find it. It was only after a puzzled text to the previous owner that I discovered it under a carpeted hatch beside the passenger seat. There is room for a battery under the seat and I expect that a battery will appear there when funds permit. I have spent quite enough on the Hymer for the time being, without hardly turning a wheel since I brought it home. Luckily I have a large space next to my house (centrally located in "Nowhere") so I can fiddle with the Hymer at my leisure.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My LHD 2002 Hymer 544 had the batteries under both front seats. One 80Ah gel battery under each seat, linked with cabling under the floor between the seats.

To fully access the batteries it was necessary to remove the seats using a torx socket driver - expect to use quite a bit of torque to remove them. Oh, and the seats are quite heavy, so be prepared.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our B584 has the original 110 batt under the drivers seat-left hand drive-we fitted another one under the passenger seat. Beware of physical size of battery tho, if too tall they won't fit!
They are grand vans ours is 2001 & still good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back