Hymer B544 2002 Vibration

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dave and Ginny, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Hi all, away just now in Scotland and feeling some vibration first noticed by hob rattling more than normal. Tyres are 4 years old but seem ok, wheel nuts secure and pressure correct. Can feel roughness in ride though. Does this sound like wheel balance or tyres shot?
    Cheers Dave

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

You might have lost a balancing weight off a wheel. It's happened to me (on a car)It usually shows as long you don't wash the wheels by having a cleaner patch where the weight used to be.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Portland

Portland Funster

If it is worse at some speeds than others it is most likely wheel balance, however as it is a Fiat base it could also be wheel bearings, listen to the sound and see if it changes as you take bends.

4. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Dave
    What are the the tyres, premium brand or not? I used to buy no brand tyres for my cars but had trouble with vibration, noise and uneven wearing, even thinking the bearings had gone only to find that a new pair of tyres sorted it, also have your shocks checked out(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. coldstreamer

coldstreamer Funster

David and Giny,
    Very strange we have a 544 2002 with recent same probs. Took it for its MOT, failed on leak to the
    LH Leg and play on the front wheel bearings. Had those replaced, drive's like a dream, so positive. I think I had become used to the faults and not really noticed the slow decline. Our service is done each year by a very good friend who is a top engineer. As he said a lot can happen to a Van in a year. Inspection and correction is his motto. Best Regards Mac

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Thanks to all for the replies and sorry that I did not post a reply but getting on line in the Highlands proved too difficult!

The problem worsened and it turned out to be delamination of the rear tyres! They were a branded tyre about 4 years old so quite why it happened I don't know. Something to watch out for (or listen out for) in the future. As commented by Mac, you don't really notice it coming on gradually but once replaced it shows some difference!

Thanks again, Dave

• Like Like x 1
  7. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

First suspect has to be under-inflation or van overloading (for the recommended pressure).

If you haven't weighed your van you really should and have a look at this to calculate your "correct" pressures or contact the manufacturer for advice.

Tim

8. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Thanks Tim, I weighed laden some time ago and it was on the limit. To be honest whilst in Scotland it would have been over because we were wild camping mostly and running with water on board. Dave