hymer air suspension

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by tilly ivimey, Jul 4, 2011.

1. tilly ivimey

tilly ivimey Read Only Funster

hello all, just bought a 1990 hymer 544, it has air suspension but the lady I bought it from has no knowledge of how to work it. There is what looks like an air valve by the back wheel arch. Can anyone tell me what pressure it should be for laden and unladen? We are off to France soon for a couple of months and will doubtless have more questions for you knowledgable lot. thanks in advance,Tilly and Bill

2. JJ

JJ Funster

A couple of things...

Firstly do you know which make of airbags you have? (mine are Driverites). If you find out you can probably find instructions online...

Secondly do you have a single valve with the air pipe splitting at a "T" piece and a pipe going to each bag or do you have a separate valve for each bag?

I have separate valves so I can choose the height of each side of my van. The makers state the pressure must be no less than 10 psi and no more than 100 psi. Keeping within those limits I pumped mine up until the van was level side to side and the gap between the rear tyres and the wheel arches looked ok.

JJ :Cool:

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Most I have come across seem to use 30-40 psi. Its a bit of trial and error according to loading.

4. deanotic

deanotic Read Only Funster

air suspension

Hi , i fitted dunlop air suspension on my Hymer 594 and i run it at 40psi . This
    keeps my van level and improves stability , you can use a tyre inflator plugged
    into the cigarette lighter to inflate them . Definatley a bonus to have them fitted .:Doh: