Hymer A class Bumper

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by Figaro, May 1, 2016.

1. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Hi, Has anyone removed the grey front bumper from a Hymer A class ?
    The lacquer top coat seems to be coming adrift and deteriorating quite quickly and I`d like to get it sorted.
    I presume it`s a body shop job rather than diy, but figured a better job would be possible if it could be removed first. Rather than taking vehicle to body shop and having some apprentice manouvering it around a cramped yard and getting the whole thing coated in dust etc.
    So is removal of the front bumper // valance a diy job ?

Attached Files:

2. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I've got a bit of this on my 2002 Hymer where stones have chipped the lacquer. I was thinking about getting someone in like Chips away or similar. Not considered removing the bumper though, although I took the rear one off last weekend to get at the lower fridge vent. Rear bumper was simple, just held on by self tapers located behind the rear lens and number plate! Be interested to know how you get on with both removal and getting the lacquer sorted!

Mine is just bad on the top edge of the bumper. I had thought about sanding down the top edge only and using the natural line where it turns vertical then having a go at it myself with an off the shelf spray can lacquer from Halfords.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

@lennyhb damaged his on holday best ask him he is Mr humer on here:)

4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Mine is different on mine it is a one piece GRP front end.

5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

To remove, first lie down under the front and remove the four bolts that attach the bottom of the bumper to brackets. Then peel back the grey plastic joint strip between the bumper sides and the wheel arches. This will reveal s/s self-tappers that join the two grey sections; note that the screws go through a small s/s plate which tales the strain. There are two self-tappers visible in the extreme bottom corners of the wheel arches - remove these. Then look up under the arches at the back of the bumper and I think there is a self-tapper fitted vertically upwards at this point - you may need a torch to locate. Finally, look down behind the Hymer logo front white plate from the engine bay and you will see a larger self-tapper at each side going down into the bumper - remove these. The bumper should now pull forward and off but note that the indicator and fog lights (if fitted) are still connected via a mate'n'lok connector on each side which can be pulled apart.
    Take to a decent body shop and bob should be your uncle!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Thanks @JeanLuc I knew you would know !

• Like Like x 1