Hymer 660 (1 Viewer)

conor coleman

Free Member
Aug 31, 2009
Funster No
HI ALL,

I am looking at buying a Mercedes Hymer 660 auto 1991, is there any fault that I should be looking out for or any advice you can give me in regard to same. This Motor home has 70,000 miles.

Regards.

Conor

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,IMO the 660 Hymer is one of the best,The Merc engine is bomb proof and capable of intergalactic milages.The one piece rounded fibreglass roof does not give concern to water ingress. These older S class Hymers were built to a quality before everybody and his dog started to build motorhomes.These things will last forever if maintained properly.When I say maintained properly,I mean change the oil and filter at 5000,thats about it,no cambelts to worry about here. Wont break any land speed records,but will still be going strong in another 20 years.A good layout and IMO a more managable size than the 700.These older S classes are starting to make good money again here in Europe,there was a time that they were quite cheap but people that had them for years,then changed them for somthing more modern looking found that the modern quality was nowhere near as good,so now thay are having a bit of a revival.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Must agree if looked after they are great vans, Remember reading an article on an auto Hymer, they had nothing but praise for it. The only thing they found was it did not go as fast as more modern ones, But who says that's a fault.
I know that I would have loved it,

By the way welcome to MH Fun

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I agree with everything Snowbird says above. My 660S is in lovely condition thanks to it's previous long term lady owner. It runs beautifully, everything works and it is really comfortable. Two possible negatives (although they don't cause me any grief) is it is rather slow and if you go faster then the poorish fuel consumption gets worse. 1991 is a bit modern for me... mine is 1987! :)

JJ

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
From my experience looking for a 660/670 (I have a 670 now) I would check all points where something has been added; awning fixing points, extra door locks, sat dish, bike rack for water ingress.

Check the walls around the window frames for spongy walls where the window sealant has failed in which case it may be worth walking away as repairs could be expensive.

Check the fuel lines over the engine (lift out the engine cover in the cab) and out of the fuel tank (under the step on a 670) as the pipes perish with time causing deisel leaks (mine have been done) and check the date on all the tyres, there are 7 and the cost mounts up, not deal breakers just negotiating tools.

Check the auto box changes up and down perfectly (4 gears) or walk away, engine oil/water level and condition and oil/water leaks. Oil leaks may be expensive to fix on this beast. Properly serviced there shouldn't be any issues.

Check if it has a diff lock that it engages and disengages properly and that the dash indicator works.

They are quite rugged well put together machines but they aren't perfect. At the moment I wouldn't swap my 670 for anything at a similar price.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I would however love a 700 but they are just too darned long. That over hang would give me grief.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back