Hymer 584 fuel tank size? / exhaust fumes

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by scottie58, May 11, 2010.

1. scottie58

scottie58 Read Only Funster

Hi Folks - our B584 is based on the Fiat Ducato 2.8 TD. I don't have the base vehicle handbook, only the Hymer spec in German! I think the fuel tank size is 85 lts? Problem is the fuel gauge fluctuates and reads nearly empty afer only 425 km ( LH drive) - only takes 40 odd litres to fill up. Anybody know the exact size of the tank? Is the fuel gauge a known problem on this base ( yr 2000)?

Exhaust appears to be too short - doesn't protrude out past the skirt. At idle fumes seep into the vehicle. No problems when driving. Has anybody modded theirs?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mandaxxx

Mandaxxx Read Only Funster

Hi, we have a 584 and my husband thinks that 85 Lts sounds about right for fuel tank, & yes our fuel guage hops around well.
    Our exhaust seems about right, we don't get any fumes inside, maybe you should get an extension for the end.:thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i thought the tank capacity was 80ltrs but i will stand corrected.

ours is a 2001 2.8 ducato and the fuel gauge has a mind of its own...95% of the time its ok but the other 5% is a different story.
    could show empty one minute then 3/4 full the next, then 1/2 then empty again...ll this with around half a tank, checked both on mileage and refill cost.
    the tank sender is under the passengers (RHD) floor accessed via a removable flap in the rubber mat and a metal plate below that.
    i took off the connector and sprayed with WD40 but the fault still appeared at a later date.
    easiest to work on 25mpg and check mileage when filling.
    you should have around 450miles from a full tank before running out.

4. johnnerontheroad

johnnerontheroad Read Only Funster

5. scottie58

scottie58 Read Only Funster

thanks folks - will clean the connections and see what happens. Will just ignore the gauge and base mileage on 600 km before filling up. Consumption varies between 25 - 29 mpg depending on roads. It is being serviced this Friday ( brake fluid hasn't been changed for 5 yrs!!) will ask garage if they can weld on an extension to the exhaust - only needs about 200mm.

cheers!:BigGrin: