Hymer 544 Camp Swing (1 Viewer)

R

Rainbow

Deleted User
We took the plunge and bought our first motorhome in May 2003. Didn’t search around as, if we didn’t ‘take the bull by the horns’ and buy, it might never have happened. Ours is a Hymer 544 Camp Swing, right hand drive, 5 berth, registered in 2000, 15000 miles and bought from Hymer UK in Preston. We have enjoyed excellent service from Hymer UK in helping us choose our van, inducting us into motorhoming and aftersales service.

Base vehicle
Fiat 2,8TDI – plenty of power and averaging 30mpg, which we feel, is excellent. The cab set-up makes driving a pleasure with generally good visibility, there are areas of the windscreen which the wipes do not catch, particularly on the passenger side but this does not affect driver vision. The gears are on the dash and are easy to use although did find it difficult getting used to the handbrake on the right. Seats are comfy and passenger seat swivels, which gives easier access to the van itself but it would make it even easier if both swivelled.

Lounge/ Central Dining
The dining area and long bench seat are in the centre of the van opposite each other. The seats either side the table are all able to carry passengers when travelling (three have seat belts and one a lap strap) so in total six can travel in the vehicle.
The table is just big enough for four but if you wanted five you would need a stool at the end. The seating is comfortable but is beginning to show signs of the foam being compressed on the front edge so have put a strip of extra foam in to raise it.
The long bench seat is good if you want a nap.

Kitchen area
Three hob burner but have fitted a microwave on the centre cupboard and have no difficulty in cooking meals even when no electric hook-up, although we do not really use the microwave (good for heating wheat bags to keep us warm in winter). The sink is quite small but adequate and the draining board is tiny so have bought a metal tray which we put on top of the hob when washing up and this works well, can move it t the table and dry in comfort. The fridge is three-way i.e. gas, electric and 12V with a very small freezer section but plenty big enough, as we tend to shop as we go. Storage space is adequate.

Bathroom
Combined sink, cassette toilet and shower which has proved plenty big enough for us to move around in. Must admit that we have not used the shower in 4 years but don’t foresee any problems if we need to. Storage space is more than enough with a wall cupboard and one under the sink, plus open shelving and drawers. The room is mainly white so very light but is easy to keep clean.

Sleeping
The overcab bed is king-size and fairly high in comparison to most overcabs we’ve seen so plently of head height, there is an art to getting in and out of bed, particularly from the nose end. We use the overcab as there is no nightly bedmaking ritual of arranging cushions etc. It’s also quite light as there is a reasonably sized side window.
The table and seats convert to a single bed or can be pulled out to make a double. We use this bed when the weather is bad, when the overcab can be noisy in rain or move in the wind. We find it comfortable and big enough. The long bench seat converts to a single bed whichis quite comfortable. Can use all beds at once when the whole of the lounge area becomes a bed.
Have slept with two in the overcab and two in the double, only slight problem is that once the double is pulled out the ladder cannot be used, intend to make a short ladder in the future. However, this would be an advantage if children slept in the overcab as you would know if they got up in the night.
Storage
There is a really large wardrobe and ample overhead cupboard space, also space under the seats, except for one, which holds the fresh water tank. There is also a TV cupboard with a slide out TV stand which makes the TV not easily visible.
I’ve also made some storage bags, one hangs on the back of the seat behind the driver and the other is held with Velcro to the end of the bench seat behind the passenger seat, these hold knick-knacks and have proved to be very useful.

Heating
The water is heated by gas and works well but if we’ve got electric hook-up we use a kettle.
There’s blown air heating which is very efficient but we use a thermostatically controlled fan heater when we have electric, this has proved to be one of our best buys.

Lighting
The lounge area is naturally very light, as it has a large windows either side and a Heiki roof vent, we also find that if we swivel the passenger seat so that the back is towards the side there is more light and a better view. All windows are fitted with flyscreens and roller blinds, the lounge areas also has voile curtains which give a light, homely feeling. The artificial light is excellent.

Outside locker storage
The gasholder is made to hold two 11kg bottles, as Hymer are German, but will hold one 13kg and one 7kg gas bottle. There are two good-sized storage lockers to hold all the other bits and pieces.

Extras
Our van came with: -
1. Cobra alarm, which gives us a little peace of mind. It can be set when leaving the vehicle but also has a setting for night when we’re in it.
2. Bike rack – good for bikes and drying towels, but sure we’ll find plenty more uses
3. Awning/canopy – which is in effect a sunshade, have not used this much as we like the sun

General comments
We really like our van as it has large windows with good views and plenty of natural light. I would suggest that it is suitable for a family of five, while the children are young; an awning would help here. We have used it for two couples for a weekends, which was fine.
All in all we are really pleased with our choice, use it most weekends now and for longer holidays.

savinggrace

Free Member
Nov 17, 2010
Funster No
Can you help with query?

Hi Rainbow

A great review. We also have a c544, 51 plate and have had it just over 1 year and love it.

I wondered if you could tell me whether your van has an warning buzzer if your steps into the habitation area are still out when you switch on the engine? We had ours serviced in August and they asked if this ever worked on our van and we said No - never had any warning light or buzzer when starting engine. We can retract the steps from the driver's seat by pushing button but no warning?

I'd be very grateful if you (or any other c544 owner) could let me know the answer to this.
Thank you in anticipation of your response.
::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure if your warning buzzer is the same as ours (Merc chassis). It is under the driver's seat (LHD in our case) and is attached to the cabling that surrounds the Elecktrobloc (also under the driver's seat).

Ours worked perfectly until it was dislodged during some service work - you may have the same problem. The buzzer is a small white plastic cube on the end of a pair of thin wires. It is attached to the metal box section of the seat base (the white chassis base, not the black revolving platform) by means of a strong self-adhesive pad. The buzzer works by setting up resonance in the metal base, which acts as a sounding board. Test yours by switching on the engine whilst the steps are out and listen closely around the seat bases. You may be able to hear the buzzer, which will be quite feint.

If it is working, but quiet, you need to fish around until you find it, then apply some new self adhesive and stick it back onto a flat metal section - hey presto, a buzzer with quite a bit of volume.

If it is not working at all, I guess you may have a broken connection, or faulty buzzer.

Philip

savinggrace

Free Member
Nov 17, 2010
Funster No
Calling all c544 owners!

Hi Phillip
Thanks for info will have to get hubby to have a look, but I would love to hear from a c544 owner - the reason I ask is that we have damaged our steps as the buzzer doesn't work however when it went in for service in August we were asked if it worked? So wondered if c544 should have warning/buzzer then I may be able to claim off the dealership that we bought the motorhome from.

Many thanks for info, regards Joanne

Jan 22, 2009
banbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have a c544 (1998), no buzzer but if you leave the steps out the brake warning light will stay on

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi,
Try spraying WD on the contactors under the step, we have to do ours on a reg. basis, due to the mud and wet gathering at the point.
Best Regards, Mac

fabbydo

Free Member
Jun 17, 2013
Perth
Funster No
MH
hymer 544 camp swing
Exp
opposite buzzer problem

I have the same motorhome. 2.8 Ducato based 544 swing year 200. The step buzzer is a complete pain and I would love to find it and rip it out. I think it's behind the dash but not sure. If anyone can advise I'd be very grateful

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I have the same motorhome. 2.8 Ducato based 544 swing year 200. The step buzzer is a complete pain and I would love to find it and rip it out. I think it's behind the dash but not sure. If anyone can advise I'd be very grateful

Dangerous, the buzzer is there as a WARNING !

Peter

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi,
We have had our 544 since new in 2002, bought it out of Germany and the best van we have had. As soon as we bought it, took it straight to Peter Hambilton and had the Dinette took out and a full length settee/bed put in.
This entailed spinning the water tank round. Added a offset swivle table, with the cab seats turned round, seats four. On social nights we have seated 8 in the van No Probs. To give a bit more storage mounted a Back box on a rear fixed chassis extension. Been round Europe a dozen times without a tremour. We have a saying, If the Bread Van get there so can we.,
I was told about that time was when Hymer stopped building the whole van and started out-sourcing, perhaps that's why its a cracking build.
Re the Step, it gets a power wash then a blast of WD once a week.
Best Regards Mac

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back