Free Member
Jul 13, 2011
Lymington
Funster No
MH
Old Autotrail
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi all, Just starting on the road of motorhome ownership on a small budget,I have been looking at a Mercedes hymermobil 534 1981. 4 speed. I know it's a bit old and am looking forward to updating it a little.I've read that these have bulletproof if not basic mechanicals...Has anybody had one so can tell me if this is true.Any pro and cons... Hoping for some wise advise..Many thanks

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
:welcome: to the FUN, I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions. :Smile: :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi, and welcome......::bigsmile:

I know slightly less than nothing about Hymers.....

but fortunately there are many here who do.......:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi and welcome to the Fun...

I have a 1987 Mercedes 660 and it is excellent... now lives in Portugal and the mechanics here can work on it no probs... mind you, the only things needed doing in two and a bit years was some rewiring (my fault), an oil and filter change and a repair to the exhaust downpipe. (oh and the heater igniter too).

I guess the thing is how well your one has been looked after... I reckon if the inside is lovely (like mine was) then it is a sign that it has had caring owners and been serviced regularly...

I actually prefer the interiors of the older models but then... I am old myself!

JJ

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Scrambler and welcome :thumb:The old Mercs are considered bullet proof :thumb: and the old Hymer interior are also well screwed together :thumb:-for the age you will not get a much better van ::bigsmile: although by modern standards it will be slow and thirsty :ROFLMAO:and at it's vintage no doubt the insides will be tired :winky:You can update that with a little work,varnish and probably new covers :thumb: All easy to do/ buy :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
scrambler

scrambler

Free Member
Jul 13, 2011
Lymington
Funster No
MH
Old Autotrail
Exp
I am a newbie
Thanks all.I don't mind the slow life,I used to have an old devion vw which use to plod along at 55,it was a quite nice pace...I plan to replace all the upholstery and curtains etc and put in a new loo and shower..Should find out if I'm buying it this weekend.... Will be back onsite for more advice i'm sure..thanks for your welcomes and help..please post anymore views on the hymer that you have :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't forget to check for damp :Eeek: any at all Walk :thumb:
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, Are you sure its a 534 and not a 550.
As far as am aware the 534 was built on a Fiat chassis,not a Mercedes.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, Are you sure its a 534 and not a 550.
As far as am aware the 534 was built on a Fiat chassis,not a Mercedes.

I thought that too, but decided not to suggest it as the OP presumably has seen the vehicle in the metal so to speak.

OP
OP
scrambler

scrambler

Free Member
Jul 13, 2011
Lymington
Funster No
MH
Old Autotrail
Exp
I am a newbie
Thanks for all the replies...I didnt buy the hymer i was looking at...it was advertised as a 534 but as you say the mercs were the 550... didnt give me too much confidence with the guys description,,,apart from auto trader and ebay are there any sites that can be recommended to look for older hymers 81 - 92 ( these are the only years I can afford... Lol) Is it better to buy at the end of the summer??

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Gumtree is a good place to look, I bought my mh through a Gumtree add. I bought a bargain. www.gumtree.com

This has some good mh advertised but not as old as you seem to be looking for

Hope this helps

Norman

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The preloved site has them on,they do tend to be snapped up,especially by Irish traders as they are like hens teeth there.
Depending on your budget try Peter Hambilton,Deepcar and Bundesvan. Don't forget other sites that carry classifieds.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back