LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi This is my first post so please be kind :))
We have a Hymer B524. My husband has just changed all the lights for LEDs. But he had to get a new connection for the small strip light over the drop down bed. Now the light over the bed, the fan and light over the hob, the digital, aerial in the wardrobe and the wardrobe light have all stopped working. We haven't got a manual that helps with electrics. We have tried to find a fuse that could be the problem but all the fuses we can find (under the seat and in an outside locker) look ok. Can anyone help? I'm a bit desperate as we are due to go away in it tomorrow. Any help really appreciated

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
The Electroblock is the most likely place to find a blown fuse.
Is the van an A Class ?

If so, its located in the first wooden compartment under the passenger side window (if Lhd)
The compartment floor should have a little finger hole in it to aid removal. Lift it and
the electroblock should be visible !

A quick Google should reveal a pdf manual for your van.

Good luck and :welc:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont rely on just looking at fuses, test them with a meter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Both
Thanks for your speedy replies. Hubby has rushed out to test fuses with a metre. The Electroblock is in an outside locker and those are the fuses we've looked at. It being in German we aren't sure which fuse does what. Are there anymore anywhere? We have got a manual but it doesn't have wiring or fuses in it.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Hello, what year is your van ? not seen an Electroblok in an outside locker on an A class, a large blue affair with fuses on the top side.are you sure ?
Barrie.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
It looks a bit like this http://hymerinfo.com/index.php/technical-stuff/4-electroblok and its in an outside locker next to the leisure batteries. The van is a 2008 B524L. Our manual says the fuses are under the seat but all that's under the seat are three 15amp and one 5amp. My husband is starting to think its not a fuse. But it would be good to know where the fuses are.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Would it be normal for the strip lights, the overhob fan the digital aerial booster and the wardrobe light to be connected to the same fuse?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Most of the simple 12V services are on one of two circuits (excluding special things like the TV, pump, step etc which have dedicated circuits and fuses). All circuits should be fused at the Elektroblock (EBL) unless a dealer or DIY merchant has fitted additional fuses.
The two main circuits referred to above are marked "Kreis 1" and "Kreis 2" on the front of the EBL. Normally they are fused at 10 amps each.
So yes, I am not surprised that several things have failed together if one of the circuit fuses has failed. More importantly, why has it failed? Have you switched fluorescent tube lights for LEDs (as in over the drop-down bed)? If so, did you remove and isolate the existing circuit inside the fitting and run new leads to the LED? The fluorescent tubes work on 230V AC and each fitting contains a small inverter to convert the power from 12V DC. This has to be bypassed when fitting LEDs. I have decided not to bother and use the tubes. I have only switched to LEDs where there are 12V halogen bulbs.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks JeanLuc for your reply. My husband was about to change the strip lights but it looked too complicated. So he just put them back together and then not only did they not work, but the fan, aerial receiver and the wardrobe light (which hasn't been changed to LED) didn't work. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i know nothing of your van but just a reminder that leds only work when connected the correct way round and dont pass current in reverse

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Have you checked the two fuses on the front of the EBL? You will need to check them both to determine which circuit is causing the problem. For example, in the case of my B630, the wardrobe and kitchen lights are on circuit (Kreis) 1 but the front bed light is on circuit 2. You will have to check yours by trial and error. If you have the complete set of documentation for your Hymer, there should be a circuit diagram with it. If in German, it is probably labeled "Kabelbaum: Stromlaufplan = 12V"

p.s. I assume all the other internal 12V items are working? (excluding the step and doorway light which are not controlled by the main 12V on/off switch.

p.p.s. Note to selves for future reference: don't try and make any changes to the electric or gas systems just before you are due to go away! Ideally try out anything new at least two weeks before so you can put right anything you do wrong. And don't do it in August anyway as Hymer shuts down for a factory holiday (Schaudt - maker of EBL) may do also, so may be really stuck if parts are needed from Germany.

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hils - you need to join up and pay your subscription to be able to continue the thread - free posts have now expired. I promise it will be worth it - there is loads of good information here and plenty of people to help.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi JeanLuc I have subscribed. Definitely worth it because my husband decided to change both the kreis 1 and 2 fuses. And it worked !!! Just wanted to thank everyone very much. £10 well spent. We are both so grateful.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
at the electrobloc use the meter to confirm you have an output on each circuit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back