Hydrogen Fuel For Deisel Engines (1 Viewer)

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
I have been to a garage today to have my gas tank pipe work re-done. While i was there, a guy came in for some chemical for his Hydrogen tank. This system is fitted to a Peugot 405 diesel car with 160,000 miles on it. The guy travels all over the country with his work and says, “It’s been well worth the £ 600.00 investment to have it fitted. He says, he used to do a round trip to London and this would need 1 full fuel tank. With the system fitted he now does the same trip and still has a1/4 of a tank of diesel left. The claim is that the system increases power by between 19-24%.

Has anyone else heard about this and if yes have you spoken to anyone who’s had it done????????????

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Patrick,

There is a 100 post thread Link Removed about the Hydrogen generator, a good read if you have a spare half hour.:Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Think this might be a similar thread thats been on RVOC with dispute as to whether it actually works

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No one has ever demonstrated that this actually works, and here is why

If you convert 1 US gallon of water to hydrogen by electrolysis it will yield 420.6 g of hydrogen (H2 gas). If the electrolysis is 100% efficient it will take 16.821 kWh of electricity to crack 1 gallon of water. That 420 g of H2 only has an energy density of 14 kWh (33.3 kWh/kg * .4206). That's 16% more energy to crack the water than you get out of it. At 70 percent efficiency that means it would take about 24 kWh of input energy to produce hydrogen with 14 kWh of energy output.

... but have a read here and on the link Jim gave on RVOC

http://green.autoblog.com/2008/08/04/why-on-board-hydrogen-generators-wont-boost-your-mileage/

and there are plenty of mugs out there who will make it a profitable business ...

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi patrick.
have a look at this thread from the sister site RVOC.

Link Removed

Mike went to the trouble and expense of having this unit fitted as a personal experiment only to find he'd been sold a pup.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I was thinking of having this done a while back, but after googling it , most thoughts were as previously stated-ie. it doesn't work!, so save yourself a few hundred quid and don't bother.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
hydrogen fuel for diesels

dont know about hydrogen, but lpg with diesel works have a look at tinley tech lpg conversions. no link with company

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
nah!!! missed jims link and spent too long looking for the thread over there then posting it here.:Blush:

Thank's to all of you for saving me from wasteing all that Vodka money

How frustrating is that!

thank's for taking the time John!

pat

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

If you convert 1 US gallon of water to hydrogen by electrolysis it will yield 420.6 g of hydrogen (H2 gas). If the electrolysis is 100% efficient it will take 16.821 kWh of electricity to crack 1 gallon of water. That 420 g of H2 only has an energy density of 14 kWh (33.3 kWh/kg * .4206). That's 16% more energy to crack the water than you get out of it. At 70 percent efficiency that means it would take about 24 kWh of input energy to produce hydrogen with 14 kWh of energy output.

Excellent link Jim, only one thing to add, according to "boff" on facts, 70% efficiency is only obtainable in commercial installations, using the scam merchants methods, 50% or less is the best you will get, the rest is converted into heat.

Olley

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I am as sceptical as most if not more so but I remember a mega thread somewhere a good while ago and it left a bit of doubt in my mind.

I do remember someone in the UK with a Pug 205 had done a DIY job and made incredible claims. A pretty aggressive woman from memory. Someone from the fuel industry was involved. Just about everyone said "if it works the manufacturers would fit it as standard". It was a very passionate thread.

Why the doubt ?

Well the calculation of burning hydrogen certainly makes a nonsense of it BUT someone used the word CATALYST. There was a chance that a small volume of hydrogen injected into the normal air/fuel mix would improve the combustion. No-one disproved this as far as I remember.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There was a chance that a small volume of hydrogen injected into the normal air/fuel mix would improve the combustion. No-one disproved this as far as I remember.

I'm in agreement, hydrogen would improve combustion.
The issue is the amount of energy required to produce the H2 .. as pointed out, even the best H2 generators are only 70% efficient.

The makers of these H2 devices claim the energy used in producing H2 is surplus from the vehicle alternator .. and costs nothing .. now that is a load of bull .. no such thing as free energy ..

I recall some 30 years ago, a neighbour of mine who was a science teacher, made a water device that drip fed water into the inlet manifold and claimed it improved MPG ..
Now whether it did or not I've no idea, but it sounds more feasible than an H2 generator running on 'surplus' energy .

jim

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Now whether it did or not I've no idea, but it sounds more feasible than an H2 generator running on 'surplus' energy .

jim

Rings a bell -- they do/did inject water into jet engines intakes to improve performance, not sure why now.

But of course Google always knows....

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Rings a bell -- they do/did inject water into jet engines intakes to improve performance, not sure why now.

But of course Google always knows....

Link Removed

ah yea indeed,

steam is also injected into the fuel oil in oil fired boilers.. not many about today due to the cost of fuel.. The one I was involved with at Inverkip, back in the early eighties, is now mothballed..

I've always thought my cars ran better on cold wet nights, denser moist air, so there may be some validity in it ..

So, what if we generated steam from the engine cooling system and injected it into the combustion chamber along with the diesel .. ?

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I've always thought my cars ran better on cold wet nights, denser moist air, so there may be some validity in it ..

:roflmto: I've mentioned this many times in the past on lot's of different Forums. They used to push water injection the same as they are pushing Hydrogen generators for motor injection and other items that are supposed to make the fuel burn better and last longer and more efficient and more and more and more.
In ALL my different investigations over many fruitless years I have YET to come up with one that consistently does as it says on the box. Still searching...............

BTW. I thought back in the late 50's I had come up with the solution to perpetual motion. Obviously I hadn't. I forgot to calculate the losses in the production of electricity from an Alternator being run from a Generator that was started up via a battery or pedal cycle and then used to feed back electricity to the alternator that then ran the generator that then ........................ :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back