Hydrogen Fuel For Deisel Engines

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Patrick, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Patrick

Patrick Read Only Funster

I have been to a garage today to have my gas tank pipe work re-done. While i was there, a guy came in for some chemical for his Hydrogen tank. This system is fitted to a Peugot 405 diesel car with 160,000 miles on it. The guy travels all over the country with his work and says, “It’s been well worth the £ 600.00 investment to have it fitted. He says, he used to do a round trip to London and this would need 1 full fuel tank. With the system fitted he now does the same trip and still has a1/4 of a tank of diesel left. The claim is that the system increases power by between 19-24%.

Has anyone else heard about this and if yes have you spoken to anyone who’s had it done????????????

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Patrick,

There is a 100 post thread Here about the Hydrogen generator, a good read if you have a spare half hour.:Smile:

3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Think this might be a similar thread thats been on RVOC with dispute as to whether it actually works

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I was asleep in the chair Jim :BigGrin:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

No one has ever demonstrated that this actually works, and here is why

... but have a read here and on the link Jim gave on RVOC

http://green.autoblog.com/2008/08/04/why-on-board-hydrogen-generators-wont-boost-your-mileage/

and there are plenty of mugs out there who will make it a profitable business ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300334839154

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

hi patrick.
    have a look at this thread from the sister site RVOC.

hydrogen generator.

Mike went to the trouble and expense of having this unit fitted as a personal experiment only to find he'd been sold a pup.

7. pappajohn

bugger!!!!!
    beaten to it and i should have looked first. :Blush:

8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Siesta delay ? :Rofl1:

9. pappajohn

nah!!! missed jims link and spent too long looking for the thread over there then posting it here.:Blush:

10. davejen

davejen Funster

I was thinking of having this done a while back, but after googling it , most thoughts were as previously stated-ie. it doesn't work!, so save yourself a few hundred quid and don't bother.
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

11. dragabed

dragabed Read Only Funster

hydrogen fuel for diesels

dont know about hydrogen, but lpg with diesel works have a look at tinley tech lpg conversions. no link with company

12. Patrick

Patrick Read Only Funster

Thank's to all of you for saving me from wasteing all that Vodka money

How frustrating is that!

thank's for taking the time John!

pat

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  13. olley

olley Funster

Excellent link Jim, only one thing to add, according to "boff" on facts, 70% efficiency is only obtainable in commercial installations, using the scam merchants methods, 50% or less is the best you will get, the rest is converted into heat.

Olley

14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I am as sceptical as most if not more so but I remember a mega thread somewhere a good while ago and it left a bit of doubt in my mind.

I do remember someone in the UK with a Pug 205 had done a DIY job and made incredible claims. A pretty aggressive woman from memory. Someone from the fuel industry was involved. Just about everyone said "if it works the manufacturers would fit it as standard". It was a very passionate thread.

Why the doubt ?

Well the calculation of burning hydrogen certainly makes a nonsense of it BUT someone used the word CATALYST. There was a chance that a small volume of hydrogen injected into the normal air/fuel mix would improve the combustion. No-one disproved this as far as I remember.

15. scotjimland

I'm in agreement, hydrogen would improve combustion.
    The issue is the amount of energy required to produce the H2 .. as pointed out, even the best H2 generators are only 70% efficient.

The makers of these H2 devices claim the energy used in producing H2 is surplus from the vehicle alternator .. and costs nothing .. now that is a load of bull .. no such thing as free energy ..

I recall some 30 years ago, a neighbour of mine who was a science teacher, made a water device that drip fed water into the inlet manifold and claimed it improved MPG ..
    Now whether it did or not I've no idea, but it sounds more feasible than an H2 generator running on 'surplus' energy .

jim

16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

17. scotjimland

ah yea indeed,

steam is also injected into the fuel oil in oil fired boilers.. not many about today due to the cost of fuel.. The one I was involved with at Inverkip, back in the early eighties, is now mothballed..

I've always thought my cars ran better on cold wet nights, denser moist air, so there may be some validity in it ..

So, what if we generated steam from the engine cooling system and injected it into the combustion chamber along with the diesel .. ?

18. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Better get that go fast pram back!:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Peter

19. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Laughing: I've mentioned this many times in the past on lot's of different Forums. They used to push water injection the same as they are pushing Hydrogen generators for motor injection and other items that are supposed to make the fuel burn better and last longer and more efficient and more and more and more.
    In ALL my different investigations over many fruitless years I have YET to come up with one that consistently does as it says on the box. Still searching...............

BTW. I thought back in the late 50's I had come up with the solution to perpetual motion. Obviously I hadn't. I forgot to calculate the losses in the production of electricity from an Alternator being run from a Generator that was started up via a battery or pedal cycle and then used to feed back electricity to the alternator that then ran the generator that then ........................ :Blush:

20. pappajohn

just for you peter...if i can find it and make it animate...:thumb: