huwii mifi and 3 data sim (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Been in France 17 days, put a £9.99 data sim in the thingy 3 gb , just run out, great job always got a signal even when 3 phones didn't, anywhere we have been, both me and Julie connected to it and its done everything we needed, coming home tomorrow so just managed with it.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Bought a data3gb sim to bring away to Spain. Using it at La Cabrera with the wife on her iPad reading the Daily Fail and I am perusing this site. Love it.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Using a 12GB one in France at the moment - and have to thank @minksygirl for signposting its availability at a knockdown price! I bought 2 of them, and so far haven't been disappointed with good reception everywhere (so far!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks everyone for the feedback I also took @Minxy Girl advice and bought a huawei and 3 sim not used either yet waiting till we return to Spain.
Sounds like a good choice thanks again minxy

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Currently using a NOS €10 10day sim in Portugal also have the 3 sim bought off eBay to use when we get to Spain/France, great bit of kit

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I also have a Huawei with a 3 sim - used it for 2 months touring Spain - overall pretty good!

However be advised that when you buy x gig ( be it pay as you go or contract) then that allowance is only valid for one month and does not "carry over" if not used!!

I did not realize that so when I came home in April I switched from contract to PAYG and bought 7 gig for use as and when required (intending to use it in France in June) only to discover that on the one month anniversary of purchase the whole unused 7 gig and my £25 vanished!! :(

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The only place we couldn't get it to work was outside LeClerc @Roscoff and at the LeArbor Aire,(also Roscoff).
We thought it had spat out the dummy but it came good after moving on later that day.
Now using the free Wifi at Sable Blancs @Concarneau.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Argos doing a 3 3Gb 3 month data sim for £9.99.
Broken Link Removed

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We just used our 3 phones with unlimited data in France but struggled in a lot of places to get a connection even though 3G was displayed. I like the fact that the Huawei unit picked up a signal when the phone didn't, might have to dust off our mifi unit and look for a good sim deal
Coming back today eh? I've ordered sunshine for your drive through Kent....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You lot are very niggardly with data! We've got through over 3.5 Gb in 10 days. Mind, I did find my phone was backing up photos to a nearby Cumulus Nimbus, for which it has received a slap and I did upload a short video to Youtube. Must try to be more careful in future!

However, I've not had a problem connecting anywhere though it is slow - but usable.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We just used our 3 phones with unlimited data in France but struggled in a lot of places to get a connection even though 3G was displayed. I like the fact that the Huawei unit picked up a signal when the phone didn't, might have to dust off our mifi unit and look for a good sim deal
Coming back today eh? I've ordered sunshine for your drive through Kent....
Cheers, thanks for the sun, but yes that's why I thought it worth a mention, phones are ok but won't tether even if they get a signal, but this mifi worked where they didn't for some reason and most of the time connected to a different server, must say I am well impressed.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You lot are very niggardly with data! We've got through over 3.5 Gb in 10 days. Mind, I did find my phone was backing up photos to a nearby Cumulus Nimbus, for which it has received a slap and I did upload a short video to Youtube. Must try to be more careful in future!

However, I've not had a problem connecting anywhere though it is slow - but usable.
Yes I found once you had connected to it with something, they were connecting automatically whenever you kicked it up, don't suppose they were useing much data but its worth keeping an eye on.

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Thinking about getting a Huawei unit myself. We're on Vodafone and just pay the £3 a day roaming charge at the moment. Trouble is there are areas where signal is very bad (where we go in Slovakia is a particular bugbear) and anything that might boost it would be great.

So, what Huawei units do people use, and crucially, how do you recharge the batteries? Not good if you need mains all the time, so can they be done via e.g. USB phone cable?

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
I have the Huawei E5573 and it has a USB cable for charging. So either 12v or mains depending on where we are.

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I have the Huawei E5573 and it has a USB cable for charging. So either 12v or mains depending on where we are.

Thanks - useful to know. How about signal boosting? Is it any good for that, and do you use an antenna?

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
I trail it out onto the roof if I need to. It does seem to improve the signal.
I bought a 4G antenne antenna, but have yet to evaluate properly, or need to!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We use our phones for 3G and have a wifi booster, ( from Motorhomewifi) that we use occasionally. It's amazing how many Fon signals it pulls in if parked in a town. We have a Huawei E5776s that we bought last year but have not used since 3 included France in their Feel at Home tariffs.
Just found a 12gb 12 month data sim on Amazon for £25! I might even buy one!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We bought a pay as you go sim for connection to the web in Spain when wifi was not available.

Worked for a couple of days and now shows "DPD authentication failure" and now cannot activate the mobile data network.

We are total numpties with new technology so looks like another visit to a phone shop. :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We bought a pay as you go sim for connection to the web in Spain when wifi was not available.

Worked for a couple of days and now shows "DPD authentication failure" and now cannot activate the mobile data network.

We are total numpties with new technology so looks like another visit to a phone shop. :(
It is possible you bought a phone sim and not a data sim, which is what you need for a MiFi. You might find they have sent you SMS warnings which if you are using a MiFi you will need to read off the device. The Huawei app makes doing this very easy.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
It is possible you bought a phone sim and not a data sim, which is what you need for a MiFi. You might find they have sent you SMS warnings which if you are using a MiFi you will need to read off the device. The Huawei app makes doing this very easy.

Many thanks DBK - we just went into a phone shop, told them what we wanted and they supplied the sim and set the ipad up for us. Not at Altea at the moment so can't go back to original shop. :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks DBK - we just went into a phone shop, told them what we wanted and they supplied the sim and set the ipad up for us. Not at Altea at the moment so can't go back to original shop. :(
If you bought it for an iPad it should have been fine assuming it was a tablet sim.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Do people advise buying a UK PAYG sim card before leaving or is it cheaper to buy one in the country you are visiting? Ihave cancelled my contract and wonder what is best?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back