LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
If you are aware of the law but choose to ignore it, you can hardly be classed as ignorant can you?
Fair enough, I found this:
The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often (incorrectly) used to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts.
So, I hold my hand up, I was incorrect in using the word ignorant rather than ignoring :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Folk who chill out in Bruges do not get this stressed on Saturday mornings. What you need is to go and see how the Belgians handle this. A nice barrier which you pay to open. Go and admire the Belgium system then come back and campaign for the Brits to have the same. With you vast knowledge and data you can transform the UK. Sir Graham of Glossop for services to UK leisure.
Don't need to Brian, they have a similar system at New Dover Road, Canterbury :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Today at huthoft
1475936168299-549128964.jpg

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Didn't know what Huttoft Terrace was until I read this thread and thought it might be a pleasant stop-over for a night.
Then I found this:- Link Removed

Think I'll stick to our usual CL on our next trip to Lincolnshire.

Richard.

OP
OP
tonyandcarol

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
Lovely for the day though. council court cases were from 2014 things have moved on a bit since then.most vans who want to stay over park on the side of the access road to the terrace.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We all know the history of Huttoft Terrace (or can find it using Google if we don't). If it were just people staying a night or two then LCC probably wouldn't bother but people have abused the area too much and, as a result, the bye-laws ban motorhomes completely. The only reason that motorhomes are able to physically access the terrace is that the barriers were destroyed - a criminal act. If criminal acts aren't ignorant then I don't know what is.
Motorhome users were initially blamed for removing the barriers, but it transpired it was a contractor with a JCB who was authorised to get sand off the beach and didn't have and couldn't be bothered to go and get the barrier key. The barrier was not bent or damaged just removed from it pivots, one of which was damaged.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Folk who chill out in Bruges do not get this stressed on Saturday mornings. What you need is to go and see how the Belgians handle this. A nice barrier which you pay to open. Go and admire the Belgium system then come back and campaign for the Brits to have the same. With you vast knowledge and data you can transform the UK. Sir Graham of Glossop for services to UK leisure.
I know this a tounge n cheek remark between the two of you , but I'm afraid it would do graham a lot of good in seeing the other side of motorhoming rather than his holier than thou posts, when you get out you will see far more mhomers than belong to fun, and they are in the majority and they aren't interested in all this pontificating about car parks rules and regulations, who's going to ring whatever council are any one else in charge if they can park, they are just out for a cheep holiday, and couldn't care less about rules.
Talking about it on here makes not one jot of difference to the majority of motorhomers.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I know this a tounge n cheek remark between the two of you , but I'm afraid it would do graham a lot of good in seeing the other side of motorhoming rather than his holier than thou posts, when you get out you will see far more mhomers than belong to fun, and they are in the majority and they aren't interested in all this pontificating about car parks rules and regulations, who's going to ring whatever council are any one else in charge if they can park, they are just out for a cheep holiday, and couldn't care less about rules.
Talking about it on here makes not one jot of difference to the majority of motorhomers.
I certainly don't need to go abroad to enjoy using our motorhome because we get plenty of enjoyment in the UK - and the vast majority of motorhomers we have met over the last 10 years or so are not members of Fun.

Anyone who wants to see a more continental approach to facilities for motorhomes has every opportunity to lobby local authorities and government but that, of course, is far too hard for people who couldn't care less. If that is pontificating, or holier than thou, then so be it but putting councils' backs up will lose more than it will gain.

OP
OP
tonyandcarol

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
councils have been shafting motorhomers for years with illegal signs in carparks have a look at andy strangeways internet site it is very revealing.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
councils have been shafting motorhomers for years with illegal signs in carparks have a look at andy strangeways internet site it is very revealing.
Andy Strangeway found two areas in which signs (in laybys and by the roadside, not in car parks) which were not backed by legal orders. Even then the signs themselves were not illegal, the restrictions they mentioned just could not be enforced.
He then went on to make the mistake of assuming that the legislation which governs signs on the roadside also applies to signs in car parks, which it does not. Much of what is published on his web site is based on that error. Most councils explain restrictions on signage (whilst trying not to make signs too big and complicated) but it is perfectly legal for a sign in a council car park to say something as brief as (for example) "Vehicles must be parked in accordance with the current parking order" because it is the order which matters, not the signage, and it is up to the driver to ensure compliance.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

It's far safer to assume that anything that imbecile says is either incorrect or an out and out lie.

He's done far more damage to the case for off site overnight parking in this country than anyone else could have if they tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tonyandcarol

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
Andy Strangeway found two areas in which signs (in laybys and by the roadside, not in car parks) which were not backed by legal orders. Even then the signs themselves were not illegal, the restrictions they mentioned just could not be enforced.
He then went on to make the mistake of assuming that the legislation which governs signs on the roadside also applies to signs in car parks, which it does not. Much of what is published on his web site is based on that error. Most councils explain restrictions on signage (whilst trying not to make signs too big and complicated) but it is perfectly legal for a sign in a council car park to say something as brief as (for example) "Vehicles must be parked in accordance with the current parking order" because it is the order which matters, not the signage, and it is up to the driver to ensure compliance.

OP
OP
tonyandcarol

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
i disagree the car parks in skegness all had signs saying no motorhomes but after andys campaign all the signs had to be removed you can park in nearly all the car parks in skegness.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i disagree the car parks in skegness all had signs saying no motorhomes but after andys campaign all the signs had to be removed you can park in nearly all the car parks in skegness.
Oversized vehicles can be parked in ELDC car parks (not just Skegness) where space permits but a ticket is required for each full or part space occupied. Some car parks have height restrictions by legal order and/or physical barrier. Specific height restrictions on motorhomes in some Skegness car parks became operative on 9 March last year, almost two months after Strangeway posted on his web site "I am delighted to announce that East Lindsey District Council (ELDC) have agreed the Order to erect height barriers to their car parks in Skegness. I believe this to be wonderful news as it now gives the opportunity for a challenge in the courts.". I can't see anything on Strangeway's web site saying that any such court action ever took place.

According to the East Lindsey Council parking map the only off street parking for motorhomes in Skegness itself is in Richmond Drive.

OP
OP
tonyandcarol

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
east lindsey council is one of the worst and corrupt councils in the counrty. beleive me i live in it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
east lindsey council is one of the worst and corrupt councils in the counrty. beleive me i live in it.
Only having been a visitor, rather than a resident, I wouldn't comment on that.

Nothing illegal about their parking orders though and when I enquired about the recent changes to Seacroft Road car park in Mablethorpe last week I received a very prompt and courteous reply. Incidentally, despite the need to protect much of that car park with height barriers being caused, in part, by motorhomers camping there illegally, they have ensured that daytime parking for motorhomes is still available :D

OP
OP
tonyandcarol

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
keep up the good work with your parking campaign GJH. Huttoft was a great place years ago till it was spoilt by a small minority as have many more spots i used to visit.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Fact, opinion or bias?

I live in Lincs, although N Lincs, and if there's corruption I want to see someone in jail.
That needs evidence.
Your evidence?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
In that they ignored the law at the time then, yes, they were, by definition, ignorant.

The Mass Trespass, though, was of a constructive and political nature as opposed to the selfish and destructive actions of the people who caused the problems at Huttoft (and elsewhere). The passing of the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act on 1949 was a part of the political aspect of the times, enjoying majority support (again unlike the situation at Huttoft).

The results of constructive direct action are often beneficial but the results of destructive direct action seldom are. If people want to be able to camp at places like Huttoft they need to be willing to enter into constructive negotiations with the landowners and to take an active part in preventing abuse, not committing acts of vandalism or taking advantage of those acts perpetrated by others.
JESUS!! Law for this, law for that, act of this and that. :mad: Its PEOPLE that own this country Graham, not stupid inward looking part time jumped up politicians! PEOPLE should have the right to park on public land where the hell they like! If this ignorant council dont like crap in the dunes, they should get off their fat lazy BTMs and do something about it! They employ enough people to walk around towns in stupid hats whacking parking stickers on windscreens, there's no shortage of idiots doing that job! Just the same on the South Coast, peeps being drowned because the cash grabbing councils wont provide beach patrols. They are certainly quick enough to increase business rates from the knock on effect of tourists visiting the locations they 'supervise'. And how much, pray tell, do silly car park barriers cost? The same barriers they keep replacing because their knocked sideways by frustrated people?
Sod the so called 'law', and sod the councils and their 'acts'. They mean nothing in the real world. They might have done 40 or 50 years ago, when the majority were 'scared s**tless', but not today. If councils and local authorities spent half as much on visitor education as they do advertising their own fee grabbing parking meter's, then crap on dunes might be a thing of the past. It worked with dog fouling ten years ago, to a greater degree. The streets of seaside towns are stuffed with young people looking for part time jobs. Beach car perk patrols would be a damned good start. In Weymouth this year, I saw squads of young people collecting deck chair money. A good profit is made by the council there, so why not at thingy on sea?? o_O

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
so why not at thingy on sea??
Do a search back, Dave, because I'm sure it's documented somewhere. They looked at the ongoing costs and couldn't justify it.

You're right about it being people though - it was people who complained to LCC in the first place about not being able to enjoy Huttoft &c which started the enforcement process off.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Do a search back, Dave, because I'm sure it's documented somewhere. They looked at the ongoing costs and couldn't justify it.

You're right about it being people though - it was people who complained to LCC in the first place about not being able to enjoy Huttoft &c which started the enforcement process off.
I dont need to do a search mate, and stuff the 'ongoing costs'. Whats the 'ongoing cost' of keeping part time politicians in post? Oh I know, they do it out of the goodness of their hearts, but hey, they still claim 'expenses'.
How about these popular places saying "We are spending money for the good of the community." Liverpool Council is likewise (supposedly) 'cash-strapped', but they can still spend millions on giant mechanical spiders, and gay rights parades.
If people are complaining because there is crap in the dunes which is stopping their dogs crapping, then it is the duty of the council to employ wardens, not just come up with non meaning stupid by-laws that forbid others enjoying the area.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I dont need to do a search mate, and stuff the 'ongoing costs'. Whats the 'ongoing cost' of keeping part time politicians in post? Oh I know, they do it out of the goodness of their hearts, but hey, they still claim 'expenses'.
How about these popular places saying "We are spending money for the good of the community." Liverpool Council is likewise (supposedly) 'cash-strapped', but they can still spend millions on giant mechanical spiders, and gay rights parades.
If people are complaining because there is crap in the dunes which is stopping their dogs crapping, then it is the duty of the council to employ wardens, not just come up with non meaning stupid by-laws that forbid others enjoying the area.
Not just expenses for councillors since Maggie's big mistake about 30 years ago. They get allowances whether they do owt or nowt - and those never get cut like other budgets. That makes me just as mad as it makes you.

The situation at places like Huttoft is not all that far removed from dealing with unauthorised traveller sites or fly tipping. How many times do councils put up with dealing with people who haven't got a better nature to appeal to? The sad fact is that if a council says to its tax payers that they can choose between a one off cost that leaves the place free for them to use and ongoing clean-up costs allied to the place being clogged up with long term campers then they will choose the former.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
PEOPLE should have the right to park on public land where the hell they like!

That would also obviously have to apply to Travellers as well.

I wonder how many people would be happy with that?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
JESUS!! Law for this, law for that, act of this and that. :mad: Its PEOPLE that own this country Graham, not stupid inward looking part time jumped up politicians! PEOPLE should have the right to park on public land where the hell they like! If this ignorant council dont like crap in the dunes, they should get off their fat lazy BTMs and do something about it! They employ enough people to walk around towns in stupid hats whacking parking stickers on windscreens, there's no shortage of idiots doing that job! Just the same on the South Coast, peeps being drowned because the cash grabbing councils wont provide beach patrols. They are certainly quick enough to increase business rates from the knock on effect of tourists visiting the locations they 'supervise'. And how much, pray tell, do silly car park barriers cost? The same barriers they keep replacing because their knocked sideways by frustrated people?
Sod the so called 'law', and sod the councils and their 'acts'. They mean nothing in the real world. They might have done 40 or 50 years ago, when the majority were 'scared s**tless', but not today. If councils and local authorities spent half as much on visitor education as they do advertising their own fee grabbing parking meter's, then crap on dunes might be a thing of the past. It worked with dog fouling ten years ago, to a greater degree. The streets of seaside towns are stuffed with young people looking for part time jobs. Beach car perk patrols would be a damned good start. In Weymouth this year, I saw squads of young people collecting deck chair money. A good profit is made by the council there, so why not at thingy on sea?? o_O

Exactly , Just what I would have wrote
myself, but didn't want to upset graham he means well but sometimes he doesn't half get my back up , with all his pro council stuff.
Just one that gets me, you arrive at a park at say eight o'clock at night, how the hell are you supposed to know all the regulations, never mind find anyone that could tell you.

OP
OP
tonyandcarol

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
as i am local to the area and work for LCC indirectly i have followed the saga at the terrace for several years and know all the details which there are many.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Exactly , Just what I would have wrote
myself, but didn't want to upset graham he means well but sometimes he doesn't half get my back up , with all his pro council stuff.
I criticise councils when it is appropriate but that doesn't mean I criticise them just because I don't happen to like something. Next time I write something that gets your back up let me know why and I can explain the specific reasoning behind what I wrote.
Just one that gets me, you arrive at a park at say eight o'clock at night, how the hell are you supposed to know all the regulations, never mind find anyone that could tell you.
That's an easy one, you check in advance and if you don't know whether you can stop overnight you assume that you can't rather than you can. Just the same as camping in somebody's field.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back