Humberto the 2008 Hymer B544 SL (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
This weekend marked our 55th night away in Humberto since August. I don't think that's too bad considering we work full-time. We're trying our best.
After a British Winter (which seems to drag more and more each year) the sun came out. The Awning came out. The BBQ came out. I managed to get sunburn.

Sunshine transforms the experience and we hope to be chasing the sun, full-time, ASAP. Anyway, this weekend was a lovely break at the (very) local "Rivermead" in Weston Colley, NW Hampshire.
You can check out the BLOG (including a very short video) of Weston Colley >> HERE <<

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
This weekend marked our 55th night away in Humberto since August. I don't think that's too bad considering we work full-time. We're trying our best.
After a British Winter (which seems to drag more and more each year) the sun came out. The Awning came out. The BBQ came out. I managed to get sunburn.

Sunshine transforms the experience and we hope to be chasing the sun, full-time, ASAP. Anyway, this weekend was a lovely break at the (very) local "Rivermead" in Weston Colley, NW Hampshire.
You can check out the BLOG (including a very short video) of Weston Colley >> HERE <<
Thanks for the blog I've enjoyed reading your adventures and love the photos

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Loving the birds eye veiw! It looks a lovely little site.
Looking forward to the aerial shots of your trip to France in June!!

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Some more updates from our French holiday 2017 here >> click <<<

Lots of photos to, hopefully, inspire. Here's a favourite of mine (Beaulieu sur Dordogne)
20170702 BsD  d.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
FYI. We (finally) found a table top (at Discounted Marine, on Ebay ÂŁ269) to replace the "Surfboard" in our 2008 B544.

The "Surfboard" is ideal if you want to make use of the B544's ability to seat about 8-10 people around the table............but it's just two of us 99% of the time.

Discounted Marine sell various sizes of (teak) table tops to the sailing crowd but this one is an amazing fit for the sliding rails (826mm x 665mm).
665mm is deep enough so we can sit and eat facing each other whilst 826 just covers the width of the rails and allows a useful space at each end, for getting changed and getting out of the way. Something which was always impossible with the original table top.

It looks stunning in my opinion. Hopefully the photos below show the difference in size between old and new.

humberto Table Discounted marine a.jpg
humberto Table Discounted marine b.jpg
Humberto Table original a.jpg

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
A couple of panoramas to show the internal layout of Humberto the Hymer B544.

I've yet to find and internal layout that suits us better in a 6.5m vehicle. Shame it doesn't have a garage but that would take up internal space at the rear.

a Humberto new Table a.jpg
a Humberto new Table b.jpg

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Do you carry a spare wheel ?

One thing we have found is all the weight is at the back on back axle. Going to fit semi air to rear axle already have Goldshmitt springs on front.
We love our B544 lots of living space inside for a 6.6m van.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes

One thing we have found is all the weight is at the back on back axle. Going to fit semi air to rear axle already have Goldshmitt springs on front.
We carry a spare wheel in the rear under floor locker and when we got weighed we were 1970kg with 25% water on a 2000kg rear axle. Had air assist fitted together with bigger tyres for the next up weight index and we are now rated at 2240kg for the rear.

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp

No, we don't have a spare wheel. This does worry me, not so much in the UK, but going abroad.

It's very easy to lose traction on wet grass, even on the slightest of slopes, in the B544. Since this is our first MH I don't know if it's any better or worse than similar ones. Many MHs seem to have huge overhangs at the rear. Going to have 2 Michelin Agilas Camping tyres fitted next week (front) to match the rear. These have better tread than the budget ones we got with it.

I should really visit a weighbridge. We are rated at 3850Kg with 2000Kg rating at the rear.

What's your opinion on the uprated front springs? I don't mind spending money if there's a perceivable improvement.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I can't really say about the springs, this is the first A class Hymer we've had and it came fitted with them. Are they worth the 7 or ÂŁ800 ?? I've no idea. The ride is okay, ride height is good.

My van is 4250kg, on Fiat Maxi chassis, and the bit that confuses me is front axle rating is 2300kg, rear axle rating is 2400kg, which doesn't add up to 4250kg.

Current weight on weighbridge fully loaded with 2 people, 2 bikes and George the Pointer for a week away 130 litres water and full diesel tank. Front axle 1560kg, rear axle 2140kg, so total 3700kg giving us 500kg spare.

I've just swapped Continental Vanco camping tyres over to Michelin Agilis Camper tyres on alloys, as the Vancos were literally worn out at 26,000 miles. The Michelins are supposed to be grippier.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My van is 4250kg, on Fiat Maxi chassis, and the bit that confuses me is front axle rating is 2300kg, rear axle rating is 2400kg, which doesn't add up to 4250kg.

Current weight on weighbridge fully loaded with 2 people, 2 bikes and George the Pointer for a week away 130 litres water and full diesel tank. Front axle 1560kg, rear axle 2140kg, so total 3700kg giving us 500kg spare.
There are maximums for each axle but you can't go over the maximum vehicle weight. This is quite normal. :)
But you may not have 500Kg. For example, if you loaded the extra stuff around the rear axle you might only have 260Kg as this would bring the rear axle load to the 2400Kg maximum. Worst case, it could be around 200Kg if you put it in a garage behind the rear axle.
The answer may be to put the cases of wine around the passenger's feet so the front axle takes some of the extra weight.
The only sure way to know is to load the bus for a trip and weight it again. :)

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Here's our latest Blog from a short trip to Hayling Island. The videos and photos will hopefully give you a good idea of the setup down there.

Click link below.....

https://gohumberto.com/spring-has-finally-sprung-on-hayling-island

Don't forget to subscribe to the Youtube Channel if you like the videos. It's my first attempt at the VLOG style, using my phone, selfie-stick and external mic.

a Hayling h 1920.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back