LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I got an ID sim for using in Europe, okay for feel at home phone use, but when it came to using it for data they charge a huge amount.
I don't see why you would get charged.
From their site:
"Our TakeAway plans give you the freedom to spread your wings. You can roam for free in the following 29 countries, and keep in touch with family and friends in the UK without racking up huge costs. No shocks, no surprises... no excuses NOT to call home:

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and USA.

So when you’re in any one of these countries, you’ll be able to use your data, and make calls or send texts to UK mobile numbers and landlines."

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Yep, it's a Carphone Warehouse company, just cancelled my phone contract and got a Sim only deal from them £5/month 30day contract 250min, 5000 text, 500 mb (4g) data, they say no tethering but there are ways round that. Also have a freedom pop sim that gives 200 min, 200 text & 200mb (4G) of data with free roaming allows tethering and it's all free apart from the initial £5 for the sim, also uses the 3 network, not very good on voice as it uses VOIP not a cell connection. I've brought a dual sim phone, apart from using the Freedom pop one occasionally to keep it active the plan is to use it when roaming.

Care to elaborate on that:rolleyes: please;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There are work arounds on both Android & iPhone operating systems that allow you to mask the connection IP of the device you are tethering to, but does limit some of the connectivy. Better solution is to run a proxy sever on the phone, there are free apps & some you have to pay a couple of quid for.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
I don't see why you would get charged.
From their site:
"Our TakeAway plans give you the freedom to spread your wings. You can roam for free in the following 29 countries, and keep in touch with family and friends in the UK without racking up huge costs. No shocks, no surprises... no excuses NOT to call home"
Yes if you buy their Takeaway Plan then you will be able to use your allowances in the countries they specify, however I have just spoken to their salesperson who says it is not advisable to hotspot your phone "as it will gallop away with your data allowance". As my intention was to use their data only sim at £20 for 20gbs in my mifi for Europe, I would not be allowed to use my allowance and therefore have to pay their going rate for data which is very expensive. Therefore I have gone to KnowHow, as I know my 3 on contract would stop after 3 months, also I cannot tether with my phone, and their standalone data sim Payg works out more expensive than Knowhow

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
ID Sim actually say " No Tethering", there are reports of the sim being blocked when they detect tethering. I have a Freedom Pop sim which they say can be used for tethering only 200mb/month ,but free, so useful as a backup when can't get wifi.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Agreed !
I've just looked at the Three website and you can get a MIFI with 20gb a month for £10 with £29 upfront cost

I think that's 2GB, if you get a 1 month iPad sim contract you pay £20 for 15GB.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I got an ID sim for using in Europe, okay for feel at home phone use, but when it came to using it for data they charge a huge amount. I immediately cancelled the contract, and went over to 3 for my phone & data, and a Knowhow data sim for my huawei, which I used last year over 4 months in Spain, to my full satisfaction. Knowhow data sim gives you the 1st month free data,so the cost of £4.50p for the sim is a good deal, I contracted for the 6gbs at £15.99, monthly, therefore will get 6gbs free in my 1st month, then when I get home will terminate it. By the way Knowhow also has Portugal as one of its Feel good countries, but amazingly at the moment it does not count France as one. I bought 4 of these sims, so that when I terminate the contract back home, I still have one for next year in the winter, as well as being able to help anyone out when abroad.
Have you actually cancelled one of these know how things , it's not like currys to let you get out that easy.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Have you actually cancelled one of these know how things , it's not like currys to let you get out that easy.
Yes, I used KnowHow last year for 4 months abroad. It was really easy, I just let them know if I want more or less data, even before the end of my month, so I never ran out. When I wanted to finish with it on going back to Uk I just asked them to terminate the contract, which they did, at the same time the sim is terminated & no use.. most of my correspondence was through email. They let you know when you are 50% then 75% through your allowance so that I would know what I had left to use. We generally go for 10gbs at £25.99 which you can have when you have done your 1st month. That sees us through the month easy, both of us using our computers, ipads, etc, and it seems good value. I am now on my 2nd year with a new sim in my huawei, working really good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back