HSPDA advice please. (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looking for a payg dongle data card and found one or two on fleabay but.....

Vodafone data only sim with 1gb data and £15 credit, no expiry....£9.99.
this is ideal for me as there is no expiry on the data and i dont use the dongle unless out in the van or AOL home B/B goes down.

i assume when i top up with another £15 i get 1gb data allowance ?

how long could i expect the 1gb to last using it for browsing only...no music or video downloads...mainly for forums and the occasional via michelin route finding.

looked for the free 3 and orange cards (no expiry) but cant seem to find any.

cheers.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
morrissons supermarket are doing the O2 pay and go dongles cheap if you get a pay and go phone. about £10 if i remember correctly.:thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
looking for a payg dongle data card and found one or two on fleabay but.....

Vodafone data only sim with 1gb data and £15 credit, no expiry....£9.99.
this is ideal for me as there is no expiry on the data and i dont use the dongle unless out in the van or AOL home B/B goes down.

i assume when i top up with another £15 i get 1gb data allowance ?

how long could i expect the 1gb to last using it for browsing only...no music or video downloads...mainly for forums and the occasional via michelin route finding.

looked for the free 3 and orange cards (no expiry) but cant seem to find any.

cheers.

My son gave me a Vodafone dongle at Christmas, almost 18 months ago. As you've indicated, it came with £15 credit. And I use it in very much the way you've described... amazingly, I've still got more than £6 of the original £15 of credit left!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
morrissons supermarket are doing the O2 pay and go dongles cheap if you get a pay and go phone. about £10 if i remember correctly.:thumb:

thanks but maybe i phrased it wrong...:Doh:

i have an unlocked dongle and a T mobile phone so i dont need another phone or dongle...just the PAYG data sim card to put in the dongle.

got sick of paying T mobile £15 per month for the data sim only to use around 2 months worth of data allowance in two years:Eeek:

so i cancelled when the contract ended and unlocked the dongle to use on other networks on a PAYG basis.

hence the need for a none expiring data sim.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
I think it will be a matter of Caveat Emptor.

Vodafone have stopped selling the dongle units that have non-expiring credit (I have one), and the credit and top-ups for those sold now have a 1 month expiry.

Those that bought the unit with the non-expiry arrangement still retain those conditions (i.e. a £15 top-up will add 1GB and will not expire - subject to using it for access within a given repeating period).

I know how to identify the dongle from before the arrangements changed, but not a SIM - it will be worth checking you are getting what you think you are.

Frankly, in almost a year, we have used only about £5 of the original credit - just picking up emails and a small amount of browsing.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think it will be a matter of Caveat Emptor.

Vodafone have stopped selling the dongle units that have non-expiring credit (I have one), and the credit and top-ups for those sold now have a 1 month expiry.

Those that bought the unit with the non-expiry arrangement still retain those conditions (i.e. a £15 top-up will add 1GB and will not expire - subject to using it for access within a given repeating period).

I know how to identify the dongle from before the arrangements changed, but not a SIM - it will be worth checking you are getting what you think you are.

Frankly, in almost a year, we have used only about £5 of the original credit - just picking up emails and a small amount of browsing.

this appears to be the none expiring version.

Link Removed

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
AFAIK Vodafone don't offer (officially) a SIM only, data-only solution, therefore the SIM is likely to have come from a dongle which has been sold on.

Whether or not it will expire depends on whether it came from a non-expiring dongle or not.

Depends on whether you're feeling lucky or not - well are you?

(FWIW, it looks promising, because I bleive the non-expiring version gives you 1GB for your £15 with no expiry - you do have to use it every 3 months I think - but only to log on, whereas the expiring version gives you 3GB for your £15, but has to be used in the month; this one looks to have 1GB on it.)

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
AFAIK Vodafone don't offer (officially) a SIM only, data-only solution, therefore the SIM is likely to have come from a dongle which has been sold on.

you could well be right as looking at feedback someone complained the sim was already removed from the carrier card.:Doh:

personally i couldnt give a monkeys were it came from as long as it works and has the full £15 credit attached. :thumb:

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
:Smile: Hi look at this item on EBAY 170492674256 it might explain /help :Smile:
Indeed - if you are buying a dongle the K3565 (which I have) is the one to go for, rather than the K3565R. It retains the legacy rights for unexpiring top-ups, but is no longer available from Vodafone (and was £39 when last available from them, so is now commanding a premium).

If the SIM has come from one of these, then it will be OK. What confuses me about the one in question is the statement -

"You can Top Up your Mobile Broadband Access from Vodafone on a Daily, Weekly or Monthly basis dependant on how much you want to use it (please view the Vodafone website for full details and instructions on data packages & allowances etc)"

- which doesnt equate to either the Top-Up regime for either the K3565 or the K3565R (nor any other mobile broadband regime I can find on the Vodafone website).

Still, as John says, £15 of non-expiring initial credit for £9.99 is probably enough to make it a bargain - should last a good few months of light use.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
this appears to be the none expiring version.

Link Removed
Hi John,I want one too...I sent a question to the seller of these and they replied it will run ou in a month...am searching...will keep you posted...please do the same for me.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John,I want one too...I sent a question to the seller of these and they replied it will run ou in a month...am searching...will keep you posted...please do the same for me.

just sent them the same question dave....regarding the one in your post above

question:...

Dear philandanna777,
hi, i know this sim doesnt have an initial expiry period but does it have an expiry once you start using it, or can it be used over a number of months until the credit has been used.
cheers,
john.

reply:....

Dear pappajohn0,
Over a number of months until you top up

so it looks like this IS the one needed. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi John,I sent question"Does this sim run out at end of each month or does it roll over each month till its used up".
They replied"You will have to top up each month".
Am as usual confused.:whatthe:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John,I sent question"Does this sim run out at end of each month or does it roll over each month till its used up".
They replied"You will have to top up each month".
Am as usual confused.:whatthe:

I'v ordered one Dave, so we'll have to wait and see.
it could be a while though with the usage i need...or not as the case may be. :Doh:

just need to search the threads now for instructions on setting the network perameters.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Papajohn,

I have one of the non expiring sims bought from ebay. The credit lasts until you have used it all. The only proviso is that you must logon at least once in 3 months.

You have to register for top ups using a CCard. The best way to do this is to logon to the vodafone website using the dongle with the sim in it, that way their web site recognises the number of the sim and it makes the registration process easier.

As for how long 1gb will last its like saying how high is a chinaman.

Hope this helps

Lunarman

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As posted on previous threads I bought a Vodafone SIM from eBay a few weeks ago. After registering it and a little playing about I checked the balance and it was £14.95. Checked it again this weekend whilst away (just to see what signal I got) and the balance was £15.94. Don't know where the extra quid came from but I'm not complaining :Smile:

The free Three SIMS offer is HERE.
I got mine in January. When I registered my credit card they took £10 (non-expiring to be used for whatever add-ons I want to buy) and gave me 150 MB of Internet access (plus texts and 3 to 3 calls) to use within 90 days or lose it. I used some of that before it ran out and then spent £5 of my £10 balance on a 1 month Internet access add-on for when we were away for just over a fortnight at the end of April/beginning of May.
Before going away on Friday I bought another £5 credit which gave me another 150 MB of Internet access (plus texts and 3 to 3 calls) to use within 90 days or lose it. I've used it for e-mail this weekend plus a couple of brief looks at web sites. I now have a £10 (non-expiring) balance to use for more add-ons whenever I want and 126.14 MB left to use or lose before 26 August.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back