Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
20141225_185949.jpg
Excellent. Not served til 7pm, but not started til 5pm! After a skype session and phone chat with our family then a visit to the local market and spice store.
Served in the sahara at Merzouga.
From the freezer-sprouts, red cabbage and bread sauce.
Turkey ham in garlic from somewhere in france, I think.
Braised red cabbage with onion, cinnamon, sugar and secret ingredients. Cranberry stuffing balls. Boiled Moroccan carrots and turnips. Roast maroc pots. Spanish sausage wrapped with thick cut parma ham (fantastic flavours). Luxury bread sauce (cooked with an onion impregnated with cloves and a generous helping of bay leaf. Finished with chopped sprouts fried in butter with pancetta and chestnuts. She says too much butter, I say not enough.
All with no EHU!
Not bad for a van dinner,(had to use maroc gas bottle as well as hob), after consuming Champagne from Champagne and wine from France on the way down and finished with spanish (boxed) wine.
Added bonus. Enough for a cold collation after midnight. A tradition started by my dad over 50 years ago. Supper overload!

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sounds wonderful, enjoy every minute you are making some quite amazing memories, Ed and I are raising a glass to you, for a lot more adventures in 2015. xx

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Perfect but I would expect no less as I cooked it! I'm building up to do the works again tomorrow when my sister and family arrive for our 2nd Christmas, actually have to cook sprouts and roast parsnips as they love them and my lot don't. I just love Christmas so perfectly happy to do it twice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Dinner was great.......

........cooked by someone else! :xThumb:

Daughter put on a good spread - we provided the wine and the cheese.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Went out so everyone had a great meal without cooking or washing up. I booked a table for six then all we had to do is eat drink and enjoy the occasion together. This is the second year and it looks like the way to go........(-;

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Perfect dinner :xThumb:-Started the day by dropping in on son/daughter in law just as they were ready to dish up bacon eggs sausage toms and toast which seemed rude to refuse :xwink: then an hour and a half later I got a call of Billy and Julie dinner is ready :xThumb:so went over the road to cop for beef ,gammon, turkey, new spuds, roast spuds, roast parsnip, carrots and turnip mashed carrots, green beans,yorkshire puds and of course sprouts :xgrin:
Julie did the YP especially for me so I did not have the heart to tell her Ann and I had them as a starter about an hour before dinner :xsmile:First xmas dinner I have had cooked for me in about 10 yrs and I hope it's not the last :xwink: Not sure if my waistline can take much more as this morning I have put on 6 lbs since yesterday :xgrin:
terry

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We had 10 round the table, our friend Margaret brought a turkey and I cooked our usual goose. Bit frantic in the kitchen at last knockings before serving.
2 daughters decided to "contribute" towards the cooking, 1 of them making a fancy broccoli and cauli cheesey dish and the other one making 2 puddings.
I can cook anything if left alone in the kitchen but 3 of us made for an interesting half hour!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Got back to Mo in laws from work - to find her and the missus both trying to cook, in the small kitchen, where Jak wanted to do it, but her Mum would'nt leave it alone! It was going to kick off - so i booted them both out and sorted it myself with a glass or two for 'fortitude' whilst staying out of the way and leaving those 2 to watch telly and faff about and talk ollox like women do:xblink:
Then, another family member just 'turned up' expecting dinner - so made it stretch!
Only after dishing it all up did I see the king prawns in the bowl all defrosted for the starters!!! So had that for afters instead of christmas pud:xlaugh:
Then - whilst trying to chill, had to put up with constant phone calls (made by M in law) to her old crony freinds, followed by more verbal recap of the conversation she'd just had (like I'm really interested:censored:) whilst I was trying to watch a repeat of last years Top gear, and when she decided it was time to put Corrie on at 8 o'clock - I just bit my lip, said 'I'm tired' and went to bed.:censored:

Lovely, just lovely...........:xshout:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
:party2:Brilliant! All the works, all the family, beautiful day, Perhaps we are spoiled as Grandson is head chef at Gusto's Alderley Edge!! :party2:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Both my wife and myself have become very depressed over the festive period, watching all those poor people in different countries who don't have fresh water, decent food to eat, drugs to stop them getting berri-berri or whatever, And so we discussed showing our support by abstaining from our Christmas dinner, and donating the proceeds to all the disaffected in the world. :cry::cry:
Having then realised that our meagre financial offering would never get to those affected, but be swallowed up in admin costs and wages in this country,

We had a damned good dinner with friends, and really enjoyed it! *BURP*. :xThumb:

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Looks brill Daz.. bon appetite
We had ours sat outside the van in Mexiloeira Grande near Portimao on the Algarve!
IMG_2080.JPG
all Portuguese fayre except the Xmas pud (Tesco finest):xThumb:
Hope your enjoying yourselfs ? Hopefully catch up with you somewhere along the road in Morocco.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My wife forgot the bread sauce.

Unforgivable really for Christmas dinner..:xsad:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I married into a family of excellent cooks (I'm not daft!).

Wife, her daughter & both her sons are experts - one of the lads does it professionally to a very high standard. All three were started along the right path by their mother. We are down at daughter's in Somerset & had a excellent meal yesterday, prepared by daughter with oversight from Mum.

Just had a turkey, stuffing & cranberry sauce sandwich for lunch today. Plenty of stuffing (with added hazelnuts) because the only hic-up yesterday was to forget to serve the stuffing!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back