Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As someone who has only toyed with the idea of solar power (or possibly a suitcase generator) I have followed with interest, the debate between the two camps of supporters.

Whilst I am swayed more towards solar, assuming that I really needed it, one question seems never to have been answered. That is, how well do solar panels withstand the rigours of the outdoors when they are mounted flat on a roof? I realise they must be pretty strong, but in July we were in the Loire region and drove through an almighty hail storm. The stones were about 20mm in diameter and lay on the road as if a careless gravel truck had spilt a load of small pebbles. We drove off the road and tried to shelter under trees, but the hailstones came straight through. Needless to say, I now have a series of little pock-marks on the roof. I cannot imagine that a solar panel would withstand that treatment. Anyone got any experience, or views?

Philip

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Semi-flexible panels are made (originally for boats) that you can walk on:

Link Removed

they are salt proof and I suspect crashing wave proof = Ellen MacArthur has them fitted on her boats but whether they would be damaged in a hailstorm :RollEyes:

:Smile:
Keith

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Never really thought about it but I guess thats what insurance is for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: In 9 years of Solar power on 3 different RV's plus now our commuter Suntor, I have never had any problems at ALL. Then again, I haven't been hit by any 20mm Hailstones either. Snow yes and Hailstones, but certainly NOT that BIG. :Eeek:

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Talk to Midsummer Energy in Cambridge (
Don't know what happened there?
Was suggesting you contacted Midsummer Energy in Cambridge (01223858414)
Prior to buying a Kyocera Panel from them, I asked about their toughness, and was told they had supplied the same panels to a camp in the Arctic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back