How to use your Satellite Dish (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
This thread is not intended to teach anyone to "suck eggs", but it would appear that many MH owners have not had the automatic systems that they have fitted explained to them or those with the dish on a tripod do not know where to look for the satellite of their choice ( there are many to choose from which have English audio if you know where to look ).

If I can answer a question I will, however I do not know it all, but after a total of 12 years on and off doing this as a hobby I have a fair idea, so please ask.

I will cover the following:

(a) The Dish manual or auto and size requirements
(b) The tuner ( this is the most important bit as any dish can see a satellite )
(c) Using a Sky card out of the sky box in another receiver.
(d) Satellite locations and what you can receive

Lets begin

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
The Dish manual or auto and size requirements

I have been asked in the past why a simple dish on a wall costs "peanuts" yet in the MH world an automatic system costs and arm and a leg. First the simple system be it on a wall or the tripod mounted system on the ground ( many MH owners have this ) works just as well and any automatic system out there today.

Tripod mounted: ( how to setup in later post )

For: Cheap, lightweight, can have a long cable run, can be used in strong winds if pegged down, does not need programming, can be used even if the MH does not have a clear view of the sky as dish can be moved.

Against: Hard to store ( depending on size ), hard to set up ( without guidance ) without a good LNB fitted is a waste of time.

Automatic System: ( Advice on how to set up in later post )

For: Simply push a button and it tunes to the required satellite ( if programmed correctly ), can be used anywhere as long as you have a clear view of the sky.

Against: Cost, cannot be use if parked up without a clear view of the sky. Uses battery power ( all be it very little ) When new satellites are sent into orbit the automatic system needs updating of internal software ( more cost ), cannot be used in strong winds

Dish Size:

Ground mounted:

If in the UK a dish of around 60cm will see the Sky UK ( 28.2E )satellite. A 90cm ( this is easy to store ) will get you ( 28.2E, 19.2E and 13E ) satellites with ease. ( I will explain more about these satellites later ).

If traveling around the EU then things get a bit "hit and miss" In France a 60cm dish will work, but as you move away from the UK the channels will stop working ( not be seen ). A 90cm will work all the way through France across into Germany, Portugal and into Spain, However again channels will disappear the further you get from the UK ( satellite footprint ). Currently in some parts of Spain you will need a minimum 1.4mtr dish to get UK channels

Automatic System

Most automatic systems are around the 80cm size, but some can be 90cm. The same as above really, the only advantage is speed of setting up ( push a button ).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
The tuner ( this is the most important bit as any dish can see a satellite )

Satellite Receiver:
The end component in the entire satellite TV system is the receiver. The receiver has four essential jobs:

(a) It de-scrambles the encrypted signal. ( more on using a Sky Card in later post )
(b) It takes the digital MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 signal and converts it into an analog format that a standard television can recognize. Cheap receivers have poor picture quality
(c) It extracts the individual channels from the larger satellite signal. Many receivers do not have an update facility so when the channels are moved to a new transponder it can no longer been seen by the cheap receiver.
(d) It keeps track of pay-per-view programmes and periodically phones a computer at the provider's headquarters to communicate billing information. This is only for Sky Card holders and does not effect those with "Free SAT" channels

Many believe that the "box" ( receiver ) that came with the automatic system is the best. I can tell you now it is poorly made and has the cheapest tuner fitted. The tuner bit, this finds the channels being pushed out by the satellite and decodes them.

I have tested a cheap receiver aganist a top of the range one and the difference is unbelievable. If I tuned into BBC Wales on the cheap model the signal strength was 83% ( here in Spain ), however the top of the range using the same dish showed signal strengh 95% !!!
This is why I state you need a good receiver.

You also need to have a good LNB: What is an LNB?

Low Noise Block-downconverter (so called because it converts a whole band or "block" of frequencies to a lower band). Also incorrectly known as a "Low Noise Block" or a "Low Noise Blocker"! [HI]An LNB sits on the end of an arm and faces the parabolic reflector ("dish") which focusses the signals from a satellite 24,000 miles away into the "feed horn" of the LNB[/HI]. The LNB converts the signals to a lower frequency and sends them out to the cable connector, which you connect to your satellite receiver via coaxial cable.

What to buy:

The LNB: To date I have not found a better LNB than this one: [HI]Technomate Ltd, Gold 0.1dB range[/HI] has the world’s lowest decibel rating, giving you the best signal possible with the lowest noise ever. Coupled together, these new Full HD 1080p and 3D compatible LNBs will give you the few extra % in signal (compared to other 0.1dB LNBs it is so much better ).

The Receiver: If you are only interested in receiving UK channels ie: BBC, ITV etc then a simple "free to air" satellite box will do. You need to check however that it is capable of running 240volt and 12 volt ( unless you are happy with just 240volt, as there is more choice ). I recommended this to a friend here in Spain the other day:
This can be used in any MH with 240volt or with an inverter. You could as many do, use a sky box receiver, but remember what I said about the "tuner" bit ( Alan Sugar did not get rich using top of the range parts!!!! )

If you want to use other satellites you will need a receiver that can tune ( change satellite ) from within the menu system. There are so many out there that I would need a new thread on just that topic.... Some you might look at are:

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

I use this guy all the time ( as there are so many fakes out there ) and he posts world wide. As you can see there are cheap ones and middle of the road ones. It is up to you. I'm happy to recommend make and model if asked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Using a Sky card out of the sky box in another receiver

There have been so many changes over the past 12 months with Sky UK and their cards. What they are trying to stop is "card sharing" - and to try and stop it they have introduced the "card pairing" system to the Sky box. In simple terms they say it cannot be used outside the box it is paired to, however it can........ ( explained below )

First let me cover "card sharing", so you have an understanding about it. For many years people have tried and succeeded to crack the codes to allow a receiver ( this is not a sky box receiver ) - ( without a sky card in it ) to decode the channels.
Here in Spain there are so many Ex Pats paying for a "card share" ( costs from 30 euros to 120 euros a year ) to decode ALL of Sky UK channels on their boxes ( link in post above ) that not many have a "Sky box" provided by Sky !!. This is an area you will have to research yourself as I'm not sure Jim would allow me to go into the details of how to do it.......

Using the card outside the box:

Firstly, although cards are paired to their box it only matters for sports & movie channels. You can move cards between boxes if you just want to watch the basic six mix pack.

The other way is the Multi room system:

Take your spare Multi room Sky box ( to the MH and plug it in ) The box does not realise that it has moved from the house, and is still getting all the channels you have signed up to at home. It will receive the updates in your MH just as it would in your house, so you can travel around the EU with it running.

As a matter of fact you DO NOT need to have the sky boxes plugged into your phone line/socket after the first year of membership no matter what they tell you.

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Satellite locations and what you can receive - Part 1 of 2

This can be done with a ground standing or automatic system ( the automatic system is limited to 3 x satellite locations, I will cover automatic systems in Part2 )

Ground standing ( tripod mounted )
With a ground standing system many loose interest after a few minutes because they cannot find the satellite or find something and when it is not in English - give up. The key thing here is preparation and practice, as when this is right it takes a few minutes and not hours. I have seen many MH owners loose patience outside their MH because they have not bothered to check sighting before parking up!!

Preparation:
The easiest way to do this is in your own garden or on the drive way that way as and when it goes wrong you can "take a break" and start again.
(a) Simple compass is needed ( you can buy one with the "sats" marked on it ) but after a little time you can mark your own compass.
(b) TV and receiver ( we are talking about basic UK TV receiver only at this stage). Having used/tuned the receiver in the house it will have all the stored channels on it ready to go. This is a "must do" before we start.
(c) Sat dish with LNB ( I kid you not, I watched a guy setting his dish up without the LNB!!! just coax from the dish! )
(d) Signal meter ( cheap as chips ) can be done without, but for "first timers" a must.....
(d) Permanent marker and some electric tape.
(e) Patience......... lots of it, remember this is just like riding a bike you need to get the hang of it........

AIMING THE DISH
To "aim the dish" it will be necessary to adjust the three dish settings according to your geographical location. You only need to do this ONCE whilst in the UK and adjust a little ONCE when traveling across EU

Azimuth (Lateral positioning): - Standing near the dish with a conventional compass in your hand is not going to achieve the required accuracy. Fixing the compass on the dish will only cause the compass to be affected by any steel components in the mounting bracket including nuts & bolts, screws etc,. resulting in a false reading. Use the compass a little way from the dish and use your eye to see where you need to point at this stage.

Elevation (Vertical positioning): - Any degree markings on the mounting bracket can only be accurate when the mounting is perfectly vertical to start with. If the mounting is not "plumb bob" vertical the degree markings on the side cannot be true - Close perhaps, but probably at least one or two degrees out, not critical though

Skew (LNB position): - Important when traveling in EU, but not as critical in the UK as Azimuth and Elevation. On an “Offset” type dish (one with the LNB mounted on an arm sticking out in front of the dish), skew is read and adjusted standing in front of the dish with your back to the satellite. From vertical (0˚.), the LNB should be turned clockwise. Note: the markings on the LNB normally indicate (reading left to right) 25˚ 20˚ 15˚ 10˚ 5˚ 0˚

To obtain the required dish settings and line of sight from your location click here: http://www.dishpointer.com/ In the two boxes provided, enter in your location address (or GPS co-ordinates). In the other box, select required satellite e.g. 28.2E Astra 1N Astra 2A, B & D. (for Freesat and Sky). Click GO.

NOW: adjust the LNB skew to the required setting as described above. Assuming that the dish mounting bracket is as vertical as possible, tilt the dish until the required degree of elevation is indicated on the elevation scale, usually stamped on the side of the dish mounting bracket. Tighten the elevation clamping screws a little. If there are no scale markings on the mounting bracket, provisionally set the elevation so that the dish itself is tilted just slightly back from vertical.

Ensuring that the receiver is switched off, connect the Signal meter in line between the receiver and the LNB. Preferably at the LNB end so that the signal can be heard whilst adjusting the dish. Point the dish roughly half way between east and south. (approx. 125˚ magnetic). Now switch on the receiver and TV to get a few volts up the cable to the LNB via the signal meter. On the TV via the receiver put it on SKY NEWS SD Channel.

The meter may or may not start to squeal immediately. If it does - adjust the squeal down to its lowest possible volume level but just still audible. If it doesn't - swing the dish very slowly a little further towards south until it does. Adjust the squeal down to its lowest audible level and again very slowly continue to swing the dish laterally towards south about an inch at a time pausing for a few seconds before moving again.

Astra 1N should be the first satellite that you start to pick up and the squeal should rise rapidly in volume as you move the dish till it reaches a peak. With the squeal at its loudest, stop and lock down the lateral (azimuth) dish setting and reduce the volume of the squeal back to “just audible”.

Loosen the elevation lock again and fine tune the elevation setting by gently tilting the dish backward or forward until the squeal again reaches its peak. Lock off the elevation. When adjusting the elevation, be aware that wherever you stop tilting the dish, it will drop just another fraction under its own weight so try to allow for this.

Go check your signal strength and quality readings on the TV (note; the “quality” reading is the important one and should preferably be above 60%) but I have had a lower signal and it still worked fine, you should see and hear the SKY NEWS channel clear on the TV........

Always bear in mind that the smaller the dish, the more accurate and diligent you need to be. When fine tuning for the ultimate “signal quality” reading, always move the dish just a tiny fraction at a time and pause for a few seconds to give your “Digibox” (receiver) time to adjust to the new setting.

It’s always much easier if you can see the TV screen whilst setting up and fine-tuning. If you can’t, - get someone to sit in front of the TV to yell "picture" - “better” or “worse” according to the strength and quality readings.

Now you should have the UK channels like BBC, ITV etc.

Finally when you are happy with the picture use the marker pen on the side of the dish for settings, so when you pack it away you can reset back to the "marker pen" markings and use the tape if you have to remove the dish from the tripod to mark fitting point. Once this is done MOVE the dish or pack it away and then realign it. Do this until it is second nature as you may not use your MH for months........ practice makes perfect.

Note: Some leave the "signal meter" connected after setting up. This can reduce signal quality so best remove it once set up.

End of part 1

Last edited:

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
:thanks: John, kind of you to take the time and trouble to post all this helpful resource. As I said in an earlier post, I'm afraid it's all a foreign language to me but I'm saving it for my Jim in the hope he'll be able to resolve his issues with your help :thumb:

He is a fulltime RVer so getting his TV sorted with the darker nights drawing in will save him from insanity!

If he has any other questions, I'll certainly get in touch and pick your brains :Smile:

Sharon

PS sorry to hijack your thread, just wanted to say thanks, eagerly awaiting part 2!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Satellite locations and what you can receive - Part 2 of 2

There are three main types of motorhome satellite systems:

Manual Tuning - These are very popular requiring simple assembly and manual alignment. Just like the ground mounted system you will need to practice using this system and a clear view of the sky is needed as with those listed below.

Semi Automatic - These can be free standing or roof mounted and are operated from inside your motorhome. This eliminates the need to adjust levels and angles by hand. You need somewhere to store it when not in use and they can be on the heavy side.

Fully Automatic - Normally roof mounted ( I have seen one fitted to a trailer ), and can be a dome or dish ( the Dome satellite dishes do not get affected by wind ), the fully automatic systems usually require fitting by a authorized installer, but you can fit it yourself as long as you take your time ( I did mine in 3 hours ). These systems do all the work by locating the chosen satellite at the touch of a button as the software built in has all the details of compass bearing etc. You never get wet or angry with this system when tuned correctly !! ........

With all these systems they are preprogrammed with the required software to locate and lock onto the satellite of choice. I cannot go into detail of each and every system, but the basic menu's are the same. The down side of software driven systems is that they are only "up to date" on the day they leave the factory. Some manufacturers will periodically release a "software update" and other manufacturers do not so you buy their new system. What this means is when for example the channels on current satellites on 28E ( Sky UK and UK channels ) have moved onto the new satellites end of this year many of the automatic systems will not have the stored information to find the new satellites and their transponders where the channels have moved to. This is happening to a well known manufacture of MH satellite systems right now!!!

Setting up your automatic system: ( using my MobilSat system as example )

[HI]Every automatic system has an Advanced Functions Menu[/HI] ( you will need to read the manual to find it )

Within this menu you will find Satellite Selection Menu ( most have 16 satellites to choose from ) however every automatic system will only allow 3 of the 16 to be locked into the user menu. What you do is select 3 of the satellites you want to use ( Most systems are pre-programmed to Hot Bird (13E) Astra 1 (19E ) NOTE: NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH ASTRA 1N ( UK SAT ) and Astra 2 (28E) This is where many MH owners get confused as they see Astra1 and think ah..... it's tuning to Sky UK......... when it's not!!!

I have changed it on my system so that I have 13E (Hotbird), 19E(Astra1) and 28E(AstraN1 and the rest of Sky UK and UK channels) so that if I cannot get UK channels in location I move the dish to 13E (Hotbird) or 19E (Astra1) and watch channels with UK Audio like Fox etc. The audio selection can be found on the receiver under "audio" and if there is a English sound track it will be displayed and can be selected. Some receivers remember this selection, with other receivers you have to set audio change for each channel.

Many owners of automatic systems have them fitted in the UK so "SKEW" ( read earlier post ) is not set for traveling across EU and they loose the UK channels in the middle of France. The "SKEW" for using your automatic system across EU is Portugal +25, Spain +15 and Morocco +20, however I have found with my system that +15 covers all areas including UK.
Then there is the "Sector" system selection, which again if fitted in the UK is set to "All Sectors" when it should be set to "North Europe" unless you are traveling into Morocco. The reason to set this correctly is if it is searching "All Sectors" the dish can go round and round and round for ages........ When set correctly it will lock onto and select the requested satellite within 15/30 seconds from last known position. ( mine on average is 20seconds from pushing the start button )

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Questions.......

A very long winded thread, but I felt some MH owners needed the facts.

If you have any questions about what I have posted above please ask, if I can answer them I will or give advice I will.

Remember the "thanks" button......

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I hate making work for Jim, but, I wonder if this thread might be collated into one of the on line booklets so instead of having to try and find this thread in 6 months time it will be readily seen by those who will not have read this valuable and informative thread?

Just a suggestion as it seems such shame this valuable resource would ne lost among the thousands of threads.

Norman

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Satellite 2E for Sky UK is launched

Satellite 2E has been sent into space in the last 24 hours.

After several weeks of testing, in a temporary orbit location, it will then be moved to 28 east for UK TV channels. For those of you waiting to see what we can get channel wise on your system or waiting to buy a system for/in the EU and Spain, I think around December you will have the answer.

Last edited:

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
First off thank you :thumb:

I have a manual roof mounted dish and as said in a previous thread I want to update my box for something a bit newer and with decent capability so I can "learn" as I go. Can you recommend a box, I don't have sky (virgin at the mo) but would not rule out having sky at some point in the future.

I have a sat finder in-line but never use it so going by what you have said I would be best removing it? Would like a box with HDMI as I will be changing the TV over the winter also

Keith

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Many thanks Don Quixote ( may I call you Don?) I inherited my automatic dish with the van and its a never ending source of mystery to me. This will help a lot.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I saw this thread I assumed it was about using a satellite dish for something useful, such as a wok, giant frisbee, dustbin lid. After all there's nothing on the telly:roflmto:

Its amazing how the technology keeps improving, while the programme quality goes down the pan.:Angry:

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
First off thank you :thumb:

I have a manual roof mounted dish and as said in a previous thread I want to update my box for something a bit newer and with decent capability so I can "learn" as I go. Can you recommend a box, I don't have sky (virgin at the mo) but would not rule out having sky at some point in the future.

I have a sat finder in-line but never use it so going by what you have said I would be best removing it? Would like a box with HDMI as I will be changing the TV over the winter also

Keith

Keith I did reply here this morning with full details fo what to look for and checked it after posting it !!!!!!!! [HI]Now it seems to have disappeared[/HI] !!!!!!!! Perhaps if you PM me then I will give details again.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Keith I did reply here this morning with full details fo what to look for and checked it after posting it !!!!!!!! [HI]Now it seems to have disappeared[/HI] !!!!!!!! Perhaps if you PM me then I will give details again.

I always think that very informative threads like this are diluted when personal PMs are used.
the answer will be of interest, and use, to many
The thread will in my opinion fade into a collection of posts without answers:Doh: if PMs are used:Smile:Geo

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
[/COLOR][/B]
I always think that very informative threads like this are diluted when personal PMs are used.
The thread will in my opinion fade into a collection of posts without answers:Doh: if PMs are used:Smile:Geo

Nothing really lost from public view just a couple of links to possible new boxes for me, one from argos and one from an on-line retailer. all the advice is still on the thread :thumb:

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
[/COLOR][/B]

Well had the original post not been deleted this morning after I posted it, you and everyone else could have read it. I have nothing to hide as information is passed on in good faith. The PM as stated only had the links I posted this morning.

As no one has asked any questions about satellite systems I take it that this thread will die soon anyway or as you state "fade away"...... like the old VHS tape system......

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As no one has asked any questions about satellite systems I take it that this thread will die soon anyway or as you state "fade away"...... like the old VHS tape system.....

Very interesting, now can you explain " PLANER" or flat dishes please?

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
As no one has asked any questions about satellite systems I take it that this thread will die soon anyway or as you state "fade away"...... like the old VHS tape system.....

Very interesting, now can you explain " PLANER" or flat dishes please?

Planer / Flatsat there is nothig to explain they do the same thing, however as explained by dave newell lvs some time ago on this forum "The most common reason for newcomers to the flatsat not getting a signal is not getting the elevation right, you must get it within half a turn to start with or you'll never find the signal" Fine for UK coverage and part way into EU.

As I have already covered setting up manually the same principle applies.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A couple of people have expressed the fear that this thread might get lost, it won't because our search system is great::bigsmile: That said I have combined Don Quixote's excellent posts into anBroken Link Removedso you can bookmark that:thumb:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks

I found the post extremely helpful. I rarely have a problem with my tripod mounted Multimo but a few tips always help.
quick note
Whilst in N France recently I managed to get a good signal and the wife was watching TV as I walked the dog. I returned to find the dish twisted 45% to the right and she stated that she had lost the picture just a few seconds ago. There was a Brit walking towards me and no one else around so I can only assume it was him who "Knocked it". How I wish I had seen him do it.
perhaps he couldn't get a signal and was jealous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!strange people out there

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Planer / Flatsat there is nothig to explain they do the same thing, however as explained by dave newell lvs some time ago on this forum "The most common reason for newcomers to the flatsat not getting a signal is not getting the elevation right, you must get it within half a turn to start with or you'll never find the signal" Fine for UK coverage and part way into EU.

As I have already covered setting up manually the same principle applies.

It always seams to point a lot higher than my previous dish? the dish often looked like it was pointing below the horizon.

Also very interested in hearing more about getting english channels from other satellites when we can't get astra28?

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi John
Thanks for this information :thumb: but hoped to get more information on the subject (d) Satellite locations and what you can receive. :Blush:

We have the oldie but goldie Kathrein Bas 60 one lnb (manual of course) on our roof and no problems in receiving the Hotbird and Astra from above the artic circle down to the north of spain (sofar we didnot go further south so dont know yet how it will work further south)

What i hoped to learn is whether there are other satellites to receive and if so how to upload the corresponding channels onto the tuner (our tuner is the the Adimo Jive nowadays known as Denson DS-500.

Thanks for the information given sofar

Paul and Ineke

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Hi John
Thanks for this information :thumb: but hoped to get more information on the subject (d) Satellite locations and what you can receive. :Blush:

We have the oldie but goldie Kathrein Bas 60 one lnb (manual of course) on our roof and no problems in receiving the Hotbird and Astra from above the artic circle down to the north of spain (sofar we didnot go further south so dont know yet how it will work further south)

What i hoped to learn is whether there are other satellites to receive and if so how to upload the corresponding channels onto the tuner (our tuner is the the Adimo Jive nowadays known as Denson DS-500.

Thanks for the information given sofar

Paul and Ineke

Paul and Ineke, firstly thank you for kind words. I'm not familiar with your receiver, but as long as it can scan another satellite it should store the transponders channels ( will explain this in next post ).

I'm currently working on the next post, but have visitors staying with us right now so until they go on Sunday it's on the back burner. Watch out Sunday for next installment.

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
for other sats and channels try here I find it a very informative site.
http://www.satbeams.com/satellites

Thank you for the link, however to someone who " just puts the dish up and down" that site would just go "over the top" of their heads. I'm a great believer the "KISS" theory "Keep It Simple Stupid" (Stupid: Dazed, stunned, or stupefied )

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
auto satillite system

Hi John,

Perhaps you could help, we have an Oyster auto system the year approx. 2006, Oyster says it needs software update because it will only get Astra2 now and again ,it wont do it in auto mode the dish just keeps going round and round, if I play around with it on manual I can get a signal it has the 4 button control box ?
I see you were talking about LNB the make Technomate can I fit one to mine ?

Regards
Simi

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Hi John,

Perhaps you could help, we have an Oyster auto system the year approx. 2006, Oyster says it needs software update because it will only get Astra2 now and again ,it wont do it in auto mode the dish just keeps going round and round, if I play around with it on manual I can get a signal it has the 4 button control box ?
I see you were talking about LNB the make Technomate can I fit one to mine ?

Regards
Simi

Simi, Fitting a different LNB will make no difference what so ever. The Oyster system is good, but as I have already stated in my posts, it is your software that is at fault. In your case you need to contact Oyster direct ( or whom you bought the system from ) and get them to fix it ( good luck with that one as it will cost money no doubt! ) as without the software update when the new "Sat/Sats" are in correct orbit ( December time ) you may not get any local TV like BBC,ITV etc as they have or are about to move onto the new satellites. The only was currently is to do what you have been doing and tune it manually, which for the money you have invested is a waste of time. This is why I recommend a ground mounted simple dish which has not software to mess you around.

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Auto Dish

Thanks for your reply, when I get the software done is it still worth fitting the Gold LNB

Regards
Simi

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back