How to spot an ebay scam (1 Viewer)

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Picking up on Itinerant Pete's ebay scam thread here - Broken Link Removed

I thought I'd see if I can help by pointing out one or two of the obvious elements that indicate it is a scam.

This is not intended to be exhaustive but may help some-one pick up on one or two of the more obvious 'tells'

First of all let me explain that the page you end up seeing after clicking on Itinerant Pete's link (or indeed by clicking on the ad in ebay) is NOT on ebay itself.
Yes, I know the address bar says ebay but that is a clever bit of programming that lies to you about where on the internet you actually are.

What happens is this:
The scammer posts an ad on ebay usually using a hijacked ebay account. In the advert itself they put a clever bit of code that re-directs your web browser (firefox, chrome or Internet Explorer) to their OWN website set-up to mimic ebay. Anything you do from then on is not on ebay, hence why you will sometimes get errors if you click on the feedback rating, or contact seller etc.

If you take a look at the attached pictures you should see that the first pic is the dummy ad that redirects you...and the second pic is the dodgy ad on the scammers own website.

The obvious differences are:

• The location of the 'add to watch list' option
  • The change in ebay members name (usually very subtle...just one letter here)
  • The payment method is now escrow and not paypal (ALL ad's on ebay have to accept paypal at least

The item number is not visible in the first pic...but if you look at the one in the dodgy ad (pic 2) and search the real ebay for it, it is a completely different item.

If you click on Itinerant Pete's link to the ebay ad and watch closely you will see the first page come up and then quickly change to the other...easy to see if you watch one of the items highlighted in my pics.

Hope this helps :Smile:
Bryan

BEFORE DODGY AD ON EBAY REDIRECTS YOU...

Link Removed

AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN RE-DIRECTED AWAY FROM EBAY TO SCAMMERS SITE

Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back