How to solve a minor problem, which can be quite stressful

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by camperlove, Sep 16, 2016.

1. camperlove

camperlove Funster

For the past 5 years, I am of the opinion, that my van sometimes doesn't like hills. My van goes BACKWARDS, instead of forwards. Im also of the opinion, that maybe my hand break doesn't work too well either, when going backwards, because I have to use the foot break as well. Im sure I don't have full control of the stearing...its too hard to turn the wheel. Now im pretty sure, it didn't behave like that 10 years ago.

Well Ive noticed a frequently common factor, when this happens.....my petrol is showing EMPTY when im on the hill. but on a flat or flatter area, im showing between quarter and half full.

I had a new petrol tank filled roughly 5 years ago....could it be faulty???
    Shortly after the new tank was fitted, I noticed I could not fill the tank right up, and had a leak if I filled up over £90 of fuel. So I must have a hole. Would this hole, be causing the above problem.

If there are vehicles behind me.....im stressing out big time. This has happened a few times. Ive even had to get a man, often, to do a 3 point turn in reverse, to position me to go back down the hill. Because by now im in pieces, and stressed.

This weekend...my situation turned into a nightmare...the traffic was diverted in the hilly, countryside. I could not climb the hill, so slid back down (ignition wont switch on as there isn't any petrol), swung into a driveway, and headed back up the road from where I came from, opposite direction....but that was also a steep hill. So im in the dip, between two steep slopes, road is one car width, and its on the diverted route...and the odd car is cussing me to move. Even parked by the driveway, didn't give vans and larger food delivery vehicles enough space to pass me. No reception in the woods.......
    I had to add another 4 of those green plastic petrol containers to make the hill/slope. On the flat I was just over half full. Going up the hill, I stalled. Looked at the fuel level, and it was showing on the lowest line. Lucky I managed to restart, and travel forward. But this was highly stressful for me.

I need to know how to sort this problem out ..... Many thanks

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

It sounds very much like the fuel pump in the tank is not at the bottom of the tank, or has a pickup pipe missing. Could very well have happened when the tank was changed. Fixing it is as easy as changing the pump

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Sounds like the petrol pick-up pipe in the tank is wrong.. :nod:

4. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Sounds like you've got a problem with the in tank fuel pump, or main fuel pump..?

But what ever it is I wouldn't like to be following behind you....:eek:

:)(y)

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Obviously you have no, or very limited, mechanical knowledge so i suggest get a garage to fix the problem....and the hand brake
    If this happens on a regular basis its dangerous.
    The steering needs the engine running or it will be extremely hard to turn.

• Like Like x 4
  6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Strangely this is the second van with this problem that I have heard of this week.

7. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Have a good look at your tank, it is quite possible for a blocked air inlet/ vent to cause a tank to be crushed/ distorted to very low capacity. Years back I had a Rover SD1 that had this issue and it drove me crazy until diagnosed.

8. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Pump pick up pipe

9. camperlove

camperlove Funster

OH I wouldn't be doing this myself. Just firstly I need to understand, do I have a problem. or is this normal. 2ndly, could the problem be due to the new tank being installed, or due to a hole. 3rdly, I need to tell the garage what I want done, and ask for a quote.
    Remember I just failed an emissions test, after I had too much oil in. ohhhhhhh big job, you have engine problems. Coming on line here, I went back to the garage, armed with my newly gained information, to be told...........errrrrrr yes you could try that it might solve the problem.! yes, too much oil could be the problem. from too much oil in the tank, and draining it............to I have an engine problem..........= a good few hundred pounds.

• Like Like x 1
  10. camperlove

camperlove Funster

Many thanks........
    am waiting for more info here on line, but so far, pick up pipe is showing up often.
    What exactly would I say to the garage...word wise.
    ie Can you check I have a pick up pipe? Is it missing?
    ie Can you check my pick up pipe is in the correct place?

There has also been two mentions to fuel pump.
    What words do I use?
    ie... is my fuel pump sitting where it should be sitting..is it low enough
    ie...is my fuel pump faulty.

Are these jobs expensive. ? Do I go to my new garage I been using for 3 years, or do I go back to the garage which fitted the new petrol tank.?

So judging from the answers, I conclude, I DO have a problem, and this is not normal, that I have no fuel registering on steep slopes/hills.

Am I correct in understanding that if the engine will not start, the hand break and foot break, and steering wheel, wont work properly, especial the steering wheel and foot break. This is quite scary, cause 2 years ago, the hill upwards, was on a bend. And I couldn't steer the van backwards down the bend. It went backwards in a straightish line. More and more into the bushes, until I was 2ft from a tree. and wouldn't try again, to start the van up.

11. wigster

wigster Funster

Your steering and foot brake wont work properly without engine running, correct.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

You will have steering but no power assistance with the engine stopped so the steering will be very stiff but not impossible. You will have power brakes but only for a couple of applications so press the pedal once and keep it there until the handbrake is on and you have engaged bottom gear. If you do this the van won't run away backwards with a dead engine. I would go to garage you trust and explain the symptoms in your own words. It's more important that you get this fixed than worry about what caused the fault. Insist that they road test it on a steep hill known to you. In the meantime do try to understand how to prevent it from running backwards.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

It does sound like your fuel pump has not been put in correctly when you may have had the tank changed, but I would go to the new garage and explain what you have said here.... If there is not a village missing a perticular person somewhere they will see the problem instantly when they look in the tank, if the pump has been fitted wrong then it should not take much to put it right, just labour.... And then you may be able to have a refund from the garage that originally fitted the new tank or part cost of it....

I think you have been very lucky to have got away without a serious accident so far and I would not drive it again unless it's to a garage....

14. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

When you posted on here recently about the van's emissions, was it for it's mot ? If it was, I think they should have picked up any problem with your brakes during their checks. As others have said, no engine means poor brakes but it shouldn't affect the handbrake, do you think you are pulling it on hard enough ?

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Half the time in my Garage is spent trying to work out what the customer is actally complaining of
    The Op post was going off at many tangents i was already in 3 types of dianostic modes just readig it
    Trying to work out what is wrong is bad enough without being led astray by an attempt to sound like you know what is wrong.
    Find a garage you can trust and tell him NOTHING
    except you seem to run out of fuel going up hill and your hand brake is poor.
    Thats it! --Its all he needs nothing more No stories no history let him work it out, it will cost less than him working through all your ideas first before going back to basics and fixing it
    G

• Like Like x 14
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. The Wino

The Wino Funster

I agree like a problem with your health find someone you trust tell them whats wrong and take their advice!

17. Mel

Mel Funster

@camperlove
    If you are anywhere near Broadstairs I know a garage that will not rip you off and do a great job.
    (It is a transport firm but he will look at your problem if you ask)
    Mel

18. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

19. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I think the main thing is that it's not a minor problem it's one that could put you in a dangerous situation and you need to get it sorted for your own safety.

• Like Like x 1
  20. camperlove

camperlove Funster

no