LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
sorry about the above appears that a member of my house has joined and not logged out,Pinkgin? wonder who that may be,:ROFLMAO:
any how--

well the time has come and with the help of the funsters at the weekend SWMBO has granted the release of additional capitar to purchase a new van.

We have decided that the van we wish to buy is an Adria Coral 670sk.

Obviously, looking for an excact model is always difficult and I have located 3. One which appears is an ex hire vechile, all be non commercial, for a very low ammount of money but we have discounted.

another is a private sale of what looks a really nice van for 26k ovno whith a few extras that we like. And lastly is from a dealer with lower miles than the private one, full dealer gaurentee (not that thats worth anything judging by some posts) and the same price as the private one.

Being that it was a dealer I anticipated that I would be able to do a px and this would erradicate the hassle of trying to sell privately and I could be on my way out the showroom in a couple of weeks. I knew the dealer would not offer a great deal for my motorhome and understand he has to make money. However the fact is when i enquired he sadi that at present they were very selective about taking any motorhomes in px. And suggested that I sold privately and if I was able too he would negetoiate a discount of 1.25k.
Although this seemed a fairer way as of course dealers are never over generous with their px valuations as they have to make money all ways.

Im now left in a sittuation whereby I am going to attempt to sell my van quickly, in order to fund the other purchase and now not discounting the private one with the extras.

So what is the best/quickest way of selling a van? I know people will say its not the best time to sell/buy but in honesty we brought ours this time of year because we wanted a van. I would like if possible to use as many free sites as I can, so there is of course, here the dark side, and 1 or two others but does any one have any links to else where?

Can i also ask what extras I should leave/take off or should these be negotiated, ie I have a telly that is only 1 month old fitted but of course fitted is the optimum word due to the layout, If i remove it I will leave 4 screw holes where the mounting plate was, is it normal to do this? Also i have air susspension less than 2 months old, swivel seat alloy wheels, that are able to be removed but should they be left on in order to maximise the sale, or removed to ebay world?

I have decided to advertise her at £16,495 ovno but obviously SWMBO does not like the fact I have bought these aditional toys, hardly used them, just payed for them and now stand to be given away!!:Doh: but the new van has all the bits i am losing on.

any help would be very welcome. or any comments regarding the price etc would be gladly received.

the van is a carioca 5 (CI) 27k miles, 6 berth, rear bunks, ideal family fan (IMO) and a cracking way for some one to get in to motorhoming, full mot, regular oil changes and engine servicing, remapped for better mpg/power.

I am in no hurry to lose her other than the upgrade we want based on the fact I dont want to sell in 2 months and not be able to find another adria, leaving us homeless.:Sad:

if anyone wishes to see my van and how she has been looked after please check out my blog.:thumb:

regards and I await in anticipation.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi,advertise as you say in all the free ads,then flea/bay,with the very min reserve,after that Auto trader.Both of hich charge about the same if sold but of course f/b is cheaper if not sold.Why not remove your tv & leave the bracket ?All the other extras take what you can without comprimising your van.How easy is it to remove the air sus ?is it worth it ?ALL these extras will be worth nothing but may help sell the van?Bear in mind if you sell yours first before the others it puts you in a bagining poss :thumb:
terry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Your better off leaving the MH as it is, the extras will make it more attractive to a potential buyer as he will be buying a better equipped vehicle.

Taking the bits off and try to sell on Fleabay is not worth what you might gain and will detract from the MH's value.

As regards being 'selective' it could be the dealer is short of cash or overstocked.

Give our Andy a ring, we dont have a problem in taking Px's into stock.

Regards

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I just had an idea floating through my little Dutch brains but would only work with a LHD.

Fantastic choice the Adria. We have owned 4 and were ever so pleased with them.

Kind regards

Maddie

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
So what is the best/quickest way of selling a van?
Quickest undoubtedly is eBay.

Stick plenty of detailed photos of different sections of the van. A few blurry images are a waste of time as also the many 'numb nuts' who photograph their mh exterior at several different angles with just one photo of the interior, i've even seen potty people stick a photo on of the damn steering wheel! (how daft is that?). One 3/4 exterior view plus half a dozen interior shots is what buyers want to see. Make sure you highlight any bad spots...dings, dents or surface rust. If you don't.....potential bidders will see it and walk away.

Encourage potential bidders to come and view the van. Anyone buying any type of vehicle off eBay has to be a bit daft if they buy without viewing, but there are people who will and it's really to the sellers advantage if they openly encourage viewing.

Finally......if you set a reserve or high start price, you won't attract many bids. And if you really want to sell it.......be realistic about final bid price expectation. You won't get nearly as much as what you think it's worth, but then you are wanting to sell aren't you?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
No PX would try for a larger discount. As JCM says he's probably overstocked and cash deal may look mighty temping.?

Well worth a try and nothing to loose?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Fleabay for MH's is generally a waste of time, they all want to steal it.

I have in the past put the odd one on there from time to time mainly for publicity purposes and got bid something like £24000-00 for a MH retailing at £35,000-00 but at a tenner listing for 2000 views seiing our name and pictures of our forecourt etc plus all the attendant blurb, was cheap advertising!

Try www.motorhomemarket.com its £6-50p for 30 days advert

Peter

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Fleabay for MH's is generally a waste of time, they all want to steal it.

I have in the past put the odd one on there from time to time mainly for publicity purposes and got bid something like £24000-00 for a MH retailing at £35,000-00 but at a tenner listing for 2000 views seiing our name and pictures of our forecourt etc plus all the attendant blurb, was cheap advertising!
Depends on whether you are looking to sell......or simply a cheap pr exercise. As you said yourself, it proved to be a very cheap way of advertising business.

Some people on eBay are daft enough to pay more for a used item than what they could buy it new. More fool them. But generally most using eBay will know the product, know it's true value, and be looking to hopefully buy under that.

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
When we tried to sell our Rapido, we rang nearly every dealer in MMM advertising 'motorhomes wanted for cash' Not one of them were interested. What most wanted was for you to part exchange.

ken

cazd

Free Member
May 4, 2008
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New - since August 2008
We used eBay extensively when looking for our secondhand motorhome. The motorhome we finally bought was from an eBay advert. We didn't however bid via eBay, we contacted the sellers, went to view and agreed a figure outside of eBay, went back the next day with a bankers draft and the deal was done - very easy. There was another motorhome that we were going to buy that we'd seen on eBay but the seller decided to withdraw it from sale :-(

Another site we used a lot (and viewed one as a result of seeing it) was Preloved | UK free ads - buy and sell with local classifieds. It's free to place adverts which is good too! It's good for people like us who were searching for a particular make and model as you can set up alerts (as you can with eBay).

In total I checked around about a dozen sites quite regularly, but the ones I kept going back to and checking more regularly were Preloved and eBay as they were far superior to the others IMO. Quite a lot of the sites won't let you view just the new adverts, which I think is crazy. If you're thoroughly searching the market for your ideal motorhome you really want to be able to check quickly without having to trawl through stacks that you've already viewed. A good example of a bad site was Autotrader, you would think that such a big name could do a better job of helping people sell their vehicles!

Hope this helps.
Carol

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Having seen inside your lovely mh if I had the money I would buy it.

Why not stick it on the classifieds on here and put it on ebay with a sensible reserve

You could always try preloved too

Good Luck xxxxx

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
lol, what can i say but congratulations on your decision, hope you find one that ticks all your boxes, and that you can sell/px yours very soon, remember to get plenty of tea bags in for the viewings when you get it:ROFLMAO: keep us updated:thumb:
ruth

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back