How to remove a locked water filling cap (1 Viewer)

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi,

You know the normal problem with the lockable water filling cap e.g. that it dosen't lock ?? well mine has and now it won't unlock, the key turns but the cap just rotates any ideas how to get it off ???

Thanks
Brian

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
Happened to mine this year in France and my wife squirted WD 40 into lock and although the mechanism was damaged internally , by turning the key and the cap together she eventually got it off and we bought another. It does sound to me that your lock is semi-seized and hopefully lube will cure the problem.If not expose the back of the filler tube and unscrew the entire assembly.

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, Thanks

I will give WD40 a try, the key turns very easily so i think you could be on to somethink as while it turns it dosen't actually feel like if its doing anything ?? hope that makes sense.

If WD40 dosen't work ?? are you saying that if i remove the flexible pipe from the rear of the filler housing I should be able to access the rear of the cap and perhaps unscrew the lock barrel, or or you saying that i may have to replace the entire housing complete with the locked cap ?? sorry its probably me being a bit thick ??

Thanks
Brian

Happened to mine this year in France and my wife squirted WD 40 into lock and although the mechanism was damaged internally , by turning the key and the cap together she eventually got it off and we bought another. It does sound to me that your lock is semi-seized and hopefully lube will cure the problem.If not expose the back of the filler tube and unscrew the entire assembly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Brian

DO NOT use WD 40 this is part one posted to stop you flogging a dead horse (and worse putting wd in your water)

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Brian

Yes I believe that the suggestion is that you remove the filler neck and jammed cap as one.

I am trying to find a method of releasing the cap without having to go that far, failing so far most methods involve picking lock (pointless you already have a key that doesnt work)

U

ukrv

Deleted User
I dont want to state the obvious here :Blush: but arent a lot of modern caps designed to turn like that anyway?

You just hold the cap and turn it in the opposite direction when you are turning the key.

Paul

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Hi Guys,
This type of filler cap with lock are total s**t.:Eeek:
On my old van I had locking problems so I got a replacement and after a short while that was just the same.
I stopped locking it as too much trouble.:cry:
My recent m/h cap has no lock but a flap locks over it, and is much better!:thumb:
Good luck anyway!

Brambles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2007
Tayside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A suggestion.
The cap is damaged anyway, so drill a small hole about 10mm in from the outer circumference. As small a drill as you have. You need to drill through the outer cap and then the inner assembly and just deep enough you can use a pin (the drill) to lock the two together, Press in and turn to release.

You can fill in the hole with a little black wax if very small, if you manage to dismantle and repair. A repair is possible.
Internally there is a small rectangular bar which is spring loaded, what happens is the housing round that parts gets compressed by another larger spring and the locking bar jams.

I am told putting the cap in boiled water can free them off.
So if you can get whole asembly off the van, you could pour hot water over the inside part - maybe it will work.
As I said just a suggestion.
1st time mine jammed and just rotated, I left in unlocked position and tapped gently with a small hammer, after about 30 taps it unlocked ( unlocked meaning the two halves of the cap rotate as one).
Jon.

Last edited:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Brian,

Pour boiling water on it, and when you get it off put it in a saucepan of boiling water. It always works on mine, think it must be something to do with a part expanding in the heat.

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Brian,

Pour boiling water on it, and when you get it off put it in a saucepan of boiling water. It always works on mine, think it must be something to do with a part expanding in the heat.

Yes this bears out my experience. Mine worked better in warmer weather and very bad in the winter:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back