How to prepare for winter storage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Storage' started by Kiwi Coss, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss Funster

Hi. We are heading back to NZ for six months and need to store the motorhome in Reading for six months over winter.
    Can anyone advise me what things I need to be aware of before I leave, or precautions I need to take?
    Also I was told to drain the water. Does this apply to the water tank as well as the hot water tank? Where is the drain plug for the hot water in a Swift Sundance 2006 model motorhome?
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Colin

2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Drain heater water tank blow thruge water pipes levee taps open;
    I used to use our wet and dry vacuum to suck pipes free of water just take off pipe at pump levee taps open seal pipe with hand over hover end water gone in seconds.
    Lift all the upholstery from the bulk heads and stack in centre of van on its side
    Remove all traces of food Frome the van disconnect leisure battery's if possible
    Ensure that antyfrzie is good in engine.
    If you can get someone to run it up once a month
    Any room in suitcase for me the wife and wee man
    Have a grate time bill

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss Funster

Thanks for the good info. Colin

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

5. Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss Funster

Yes it will be stored outside

6. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Just a short list of things to do:
    1. in the domestic area of your Camper, remember to drain down your water heating system to protect the boiler so as the impending frosts won't ruin this device; and it's good practice to drain the cold water system too.
    2. make sure the motor has sufficient anti-freeze strength to withstand the strongest frost (50%);
    3. it's a good idea to remove both batteries, charging them slowly from time to time through the Winter months;
    4. store the batteries on wood or carpet - never directly on a concrete floor;
    5. if the Camper is being left outside, covering helps it stop going green with algae;
    6. cover the wheels with ply up against them, or better still with thick black bin liners, to stop UV rays from perishing the rubber;
    7. also remove the wiper blades to stop them sticking to the windows, and protect the glass from scratches from the wiper arms;
    8. before disconnecting the batteries make sure to note the radio code and that you have the knowledge to re-programme the code back in when required.
    9. And remove your gas cylinders

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss Funster

Can anyone tell me exactly how to drain the water tank on a swift sundance 2006 model? Is there a tap under the vehicle?

8. Forester

Forester Funster

If you do remove your batteries this is VERY important. Leaving them on the concrete garage floor will ruin them pdq.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

There should be a tap on the side of the tank that drains to a drop pipe falling that just drain the thank through the taps then disconnect the pipe at the pump and blow out or drain the water off

• Like Like x 1
  10. lynnian

lynnian Read Only Funster

To empty the water tank remove the screw on lid on top of tank .put your hand in tank and pull out the orange rubber plug open all you taps. To empty the heater lift up the yellow valve at the side of water heater in bottom of the wardrobe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss Funster

We have 180watt panels on the roof for the leisure batts which should be ok. I have bought a 1 or a 1.5 watt solar panel for the vehicle batt which I will put in the window on the dash. Will this be enough to keep the vehicle batt trickle charged?

12. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

will the wind screen be south facing for max sun in the winter remember not much sun in the uk do you have alarm fitted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Very unusual that not many funster have replied to help you with your questions
    Who have you upset :Eeek:216 views and only two funster replied normally plenty on her who know it all

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  14. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Have to agree with most of what Bill has advised especially the point about making sure there is no food left in the van as rodents seem to be able to smell it and find their way in. With your model van Colin I would not recommend using a special pump you see advertised for draining out the water system as your water connections might not take the pressure. I have to disagree with Bill about using a cover unless you store the van in a very sheltered spot as I have seen vans where the expensive cover has worn through the gel coat on the edges of the van.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

i
    did not mention a cover asked if it was under cover IE barn out building I would never suggest covering up a van cusses moor problems than it prevents
    edit bit of a typo on my part sorry should read what I cut and past
    bill

• Like Like x 1
  16. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

a 1 or 1.5 watt panel will be useless in britain during the winter if possible get the batteries linked so the large panels will keep both charged can be a fused cable run temporarily from plus to plus on the batteries or a simple fused link across the split charge relay if the diy is beyond you a auto electrician could do it
    remeber to empty the water heater fully and get as much water out of the system as possible remove shower head and hose if its practical as both will hold water, we had a tap spout split even with everything open ideally you need to blow the pipework through
    open every door drawer and cupboard
    open any watertight vents a closed van will promote mould you need air flow
    it depends how secure your storage is but if secure i would put all windows on the vent position id even drop the front ones a couple of mm

• Like Like x 2
  17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Haha Bill, I'm reading all your good tips mate and taking it all in. Being new I'm afraid I don't have anything to add.

When I store motorbikes I block them up and let the air out of the tyres and drain the fuel out of the tank. Not so easy to do on a MH. :LOL:

18. Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss Funster

It's funny I was thinking much the same but so long as I get good advice it's ok. Maybe I have upset people as sometimes I might say what I think and not what people want to hear. Still thanks for the good advice.
    Colin

19. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

Get some wild mint and leave it in cupboards and places that could be cozy for mice they don't like it, rats and squirrels etc aren't too keen on it either; and it smells nice an fresh anyway(y)

• Like Like x 2
  20. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

if the van is 2 be stood 4 up 2 6 months i would [myself ] put it on tyre saver,s / check correct tyre pressure
    bill is no knowledgeable also decent bloke